xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Up To Date Tutorials?  (Read 56 times)

xbox_maniac

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« on: December 15, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »

I am very new to this. I did my first xbox mod last night. I bought an xecuter3 ce chip with the solderless connector, but my xbox ended up with soldered holes. So I ended up soldering in the permanent connector instead. In any case, I got the modchip working and got to the bios flash screen. I have attained bios X3 3294 and installed that over http. So far so good. I have a couple of problems/questions.

1. the above mentioned bios has the ebility to enable ftp in the bios, but when I do this I am unable to connect from another machine. The ip is right and the networking works because that was how I transferred over the new bios. I am able to connect but it does not ask for a username or password it just sits there.

2. I want to try out a dashboard and it seems like all of the tutorials are either out of date or work with different bioses or other things. From what I've gathered, it sounds like I can simply make an xiso with the latest vesion of evox and as long as my dvdrom can read the cd it should work, am I correct in this thinking?

BTW, thanks to everyone for all the help and tutorials, it helped me out a lot!

maniac

T-Bagz

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »

1.  Did you try doing an HTTP bios install, I think you have that as an option?  http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/http.htm  

2.  You are semi- correct sir, if you have the Slayer Auto Install, you can make the xISO,  but I don't think with just the files themselves you will be able to boot it up.  Something else you may want to download or get is the Auto Installer Deluxe, it has a lot of good software on it for a new install.

xbox_maniac

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »

yep, I did the bios install over http. it worked great. what I'm saying though, is that after I've installed the bios I am trying to ftp into the xbox (haven't installed any dashboard but the bios has ftp settings). When I try to do this ftp I connect, but then it does not ask for a password or username. I am assuming that if I could ftp into at this point I could just move apps to the hard drive via ftp instead of trying to get a burned cd to work. But I'm not completely sure....

maniac

slingshot2170

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »

The BIOS's FTP capability is only for flashing the BIOS. An FTP server capable of accessing the entire box is enclosed inside of many dashboards, such as EvoX, Avalaunch, UnleashX, UIX, XBMC, and many others. Most, if not all, are loosely based off the FileZilla opensource FTP server.

Second, an autoinstaller will work just fine on your Xbox. If you're worried about burning to the wrong medium, try a DVD-R. These have the highest success rate (at least for me).

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=336348

That thread lists media types and their compatibility. Any disc, as long as it has default.xbe in the root directory, will boot just fine on a modded Xbox.

_GhOsT_

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »

"The BIOS's FTP capability is only for flashing the BIOS."

that is false
in the x3 cfl you will have an ip adress (if not set to static and reset)
go into your ftp client and type in the ip
then the user name and password will be x3

manturafs

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »

ghost is right.  what screen do you see on your tv when you are trying to ftp?  To ftp, you should be in x3 config live.  If that's not what you see, you have to go into it.  It's been awhile, but I think you hold down the white button to get in there.

xbox_maniac

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »

ah, so it should work then. that would be sweet if it did. I have tried to connect while the xbox is on the main bios screen. It has settings, temperatures, ip display, etc. I believe x3 live is the top menu item but I did not go inside there. At the bottom of the screen I have an ip address and it is valid. So your saying if I choose the x3 live menu item and then try to login again I should be able to do it. Is there a manual for this bios anywhere or any documentation?

maniac

manturafs

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 05:00:00 PM »

it shouldn't matter where you are in the menu, you should be able to ftp.  if you see an ip displayed, you should be able to ftp into it.  how is your network set up?  Are you using a crossover or a router?  Also how is your xbox hooked up to the network (cable or through a wireless adapter)?  I've had problems ftp'ing using a wireless adapter where it hangs as well.  I would just double check all your network settings and make sure all the ip addresses start the same.  Only the last set of numbers should be different (i.e. 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 should work but 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.2.101 will not work).

this might help with your network settings:

http://x3.bustedchain.com/settings.html#network

i would dry dhcp first since that will automatically connect if you have a router.  If you don't have a router, then use static to set it up.

_GhOsT_

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

heres another pic i just made in case you need it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/dan...x3bioshelp3.jpg

your ip address will be different than the one in my picture

This post has been edited by _GhOsT_: Dec 16 2005, 01:42 AM

xbox_maniac

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »

Thanks guys. What is happening here is very strange. My network is all 192.168.0.X. I have many other computers on this network, everything is dhcp. I've tried both dhcp and static with no luck. Here is a snippet of what I am seeing:

C:\Documents and Settings\maniac>ftp 192.168.0.2
Connected to 192.168.0.2.
220 X3-FTP Server ready.
User (192.168.0.2:(none)): x3
331 Password required
Password:
Connection closed by remote host.

As you can see, I can connect just fine. It asks me for my username and I enter x3. It asks for a password I put x3 and then it just times out. I don't get it  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

gualber98

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(xbox_maniac @ Dec 15 2005, 09:45 PM) *

2. I want to try out a dashboard and it seems like all of the tutorials are either out of date or work with different bioses or other things. From what I've gathered, it sounds like I can simply make an xiso with the latest vesion of evox and as long as my dvdrom can read the cd it should work, am I correct in this thinking?

maniac

you are correct, that would work, however i recommend you use unleashx or any dashboard that has a built in filemanger so you can just transfer directly the cd files onto your c drive.  just make sure that when you make your boot disk you have your dashboard xbe name to default.xbe and that when you transfer the files to your c drive is name to whatever name your bios boot(usually evoxdash.xbe, avalaunch.xbe, unleashx.xbe,xboxdash.xbe are names that most bios boot) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

xbox_maniac

• Archived User
Up To Date Tutorials?
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

This is even more interesting. On my network I have two linux boxes, and one windows xp box. I could not connect via the bios ftp with either my newer linux box (runs fedora) or my xp box. The connections would just timeout. But I had no problem connecting with my older linux box (runs redhat 7.3). So What I did was copy over evox from that machine as the dashboard. Once running that dashboard I could ftp into the xbox from all of my machines. Pretty strange isn't it? In any case, I then installed XBMC, which is pretty awesome. This really rocks. Thanks for everyones help!

maniac