xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Newly Installed Modchip Doesnt Boot  (Read 51 times)

Neirin

• Archived User
Newly Installed Modchip Doesnt Boot
« on: November 21, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »

Hey all,

I just installed (soldered) a x3ce onto a 1.6 xbox and when i boot up it just goes right to the MS dashboard. Whether I hold down the power button or just give it a quick press, it goes directly to the MS dashboard. I have the top off right now and I can see blue and red light coming from the X3ce modchip. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

This post has been edited by Neirin: Nov 22 2005, 04:01 AM

MonsterTy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »

You need to recheck your solder points.  Upon correct installation, the X3 should boot into X3 ConfigLive.

Neirin

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »

Are there any particular solder points i should check? Which point would generally be more than likely the reason for the boot straight to ms dash.

ItchyB

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

If you have lights on the chip it is getting power so check the D0, The D0 is the connection that allows the chip to take over from the on board BIOS.

Neirin

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »

Okay I will give that a shot, if that doesnt work, what area should I look at next?

One question, if i was to leave the HDD and the DVD unplugged and unhooked, would it still attemtp to boot to x3 bios flash (that is if it is installed correctly) Or would it hang at the xbox logo and give an error?

This post has been edited by Neirin: Nov 22 2005, 06:32 AM

ItchyB

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Neirin @ Nov 22 2005, 03:58 PM)
Okay I will give that a shot, if that doesnt work, what area should I look at next?

One question, if i was to leave the HDD and the DVD unplugged and unhooked, would it still attemtp to boot to x3 bios flash (that is if it is installed correctly) Or would it hang at the xbox logo and give an error?

It would give an error, when it is correctly installed it will boot the OS

Neirin

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »

Redid the solder on the D0 wire, no dice, same issue

Neirin

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »

I just installed the external switch, and when i boot up, the lan and hdd lights go on, but the X3 sign stays red as if the chip is disabled.

WizBit

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

when you press the eject button and the power together does it go purple?

if the chip is correctly installed both lights will be blue so you havent connected something properly!

go over all the joints again check the lpc rebuild as there are quite a few points to solder and its not easy to see if they have joined properly.

check your volt feeds so that the chip is getting the right power feeds this could cause one of the lights not to be blue.

WizBit

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »

when you say you have a red light and a blue light, do you mean the flash protect light is red or do you mean that the two lights on the right hand side of the board are blue and red?

you should have two blue lights on the right hand side of the board and a red light facing towards the back of your xbox, if you have a blue light out try looking at the alternate 5v feed make sure that is connected properly, i believe that powers onr of the blue lights and the other tells you it is connected by the 3v feed throught the pin header.

Neirin

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

I have two blue lights on the right hand side of the chip, and a green light at the back for flash unprotect. Then on the external switch, the lan and the hdd lights are on and the X3 sign is red.

Pressing the power and the eject button does nothing, just boots up as normal dry.gif

WizBit

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »

try turning off your xbox and turning it on by using the eject button see if that enables the chip. you might find you are pressing the power button for to long.

Neirin

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »

Nada

It is frustrating since this is my first time doing this and I am not entirely clear where are the first critical areas I should double check. On the X3 chip itself, two blue lights go on as well as the green light indicating flash protect is off. On the external X3 switch, the HDD and the LAN light go on and the X3 symbol itself stays red showing that it is disabled. Now if all those are coming on would that mean it is more likely an issue of the pin header and or D0 cable? Could someone post a pic of what the top of a working X3 chip should look like? I have tried applying gental pressure to see if it was a contact issue, but did nothing.

Neirin

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »

I went back and redid some spots that looked shoddy on the PCB, but now the xbox reboots 3 times and then frags. I looked on the underside and I couldnt see any lifted traces or pads. Any clues?

WizBit

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »

did you follow the xecutor 3 tut when you installed this?

I installed my chip myself and followed there tutorial and had no problems.