xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wtf?  (Read 166 times)

Monkey106

• Archived User
Wtf?
« on: September 09, 2005, 10:54:00 PM »

This morning in the network connections screen on my computer, the xbox network was showing, and when the xbox power was off the little popup came that said "a network cable is unplugged". Everything was working fine. Now it's the afternoon, and for some reason, it seems the icon in network connections has deleted itself and the connection no longer exists. What the hell is going on, and how do I re-create the connection. Any help would be great, I need to back up one of my games ASAP.
Regards,
Monkey106

xmedia2004

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »

First I would check all your cables and make sure everything is plugged in still and the nic green lights are lit indicating signal.

Other than that your post is very vague, assuming you didn't do somenthing
that you aren't saying to your setup.

Does your xbox show ip on skin?
What happens when you try to connect via ftp, no route time out etc?

My ESP isnt working at the moment. So learn how to write concise a post.

Monkey106

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 03:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(xmedia2004 @ Sep 10 2005, 06:54 PM)

My ESP isnt working at the moment. So learn how to write concise a post.

"Learn how to write concise a post"? What the hell kind of grammar is that? How about you learn how to write like somebody who understands english, dickface.

On another note, anybody who is actually interested in helping me instead of reading my post and then trying to write some sort of retarded insult is welcome to do so.

All the network card lights are on, everything is plugged in perfectly, and everything should be working fine. Nothing has been fiddled with or changed since the last time I had been at the computer (6 hours or so) so in theory it shouldn't be broken. Any help would be good.

And finally, my ESP is working. It says xmedia2004 can go f**k himself.

Mild_warlock

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 03:37:00 AM »

My good god.

Do you really expect anyone to really help you after that temper tantram?

You could have been the bigger person and ignored his quip and gotten on with your issue, now I dont see anyone bothering to work this out wiht you.

F*ck Gramer, Spillin, and Punktuashon.

Soup

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 04:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(Monkey106 @ Sep 10 2005, 03:26 AM)
"Learn how to write concise a post"? What the hell kind of grammar is that? How about you learn how to write like somebody who understands english, dickface.

LOL...

Anyway, it sounds like it's a problem with your PC rather than something caused by the Xbox.  What does your network look like?  Is the Xbox connected to PC with a crossover cable?  Do you use Internet Connection Sharing to get net access to Xbox?  Check in Device Manager (Right-click My Computer, choose 'manage,' then go to Device Manager in the left side) to see if your ethernet card(s) still appear under Network Adapters.  If so, right-click them and try disabling then enabling.

Monkey106

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 06:26:00 AM »

Yes, the network is connected with a crossover cable. I didn't use internet connection sharing to get net access to the xbox, I used just the regular network connection type thing. If it seemed like I had a temper tantrum before that's because I'd been drinking heavy beer and plenty of it, so yeah. I'm still drinking now. The network card still appears by the by, and the light is on at the back of the computer case and everything. I have no doubt it's something to do with the computer, it's been stuffing up a lot lately. Sometimes it just slows down, and then freezes, with no explanation. Other times it'll boot until it gets to the windows xp loading/boot screen, which instead of displaying, the computer will just display a black screen and not go any further. Buggered if i know what's happening. By the way, if you couldn't tell, i'm from australia. And i'm drunk.
p.s. mild warlock, "tantram" is spelled "tantrum". plus i don't want to be the bigger person because insulting morons is more fun.

myffonline

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 06:41:00 AM »

Hahaha geez matt. Everyone better help him or he'll get drunker and angrier!!

Monkey106

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »

Actually there's a little problem in the device manager. The network card icon has got a little exclamation mark on it and it says that windows cannot load the drivers for the device. I'm looking at the windows troubleshooter now but I doubt it'll be of any use, as usual.

I tried enabling and disabling it but to no avail. Then I tried uninstalling it but it said that the device may be needed to boot up the computer. What the hell?

This post has been edited by Monkey106: Sep 11 2005, 12:41 AM

Constantine

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »

Reinstall the driver for your nic.

Monkey106

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »

Hmm,
Well I managed to uninstall the network card in its entirety, then re-install it. Now the local area connection icon in the network connections is back, but the light on the back of the network card isn't on. Do you still think I should re-install the drivers, or should I try something else? Thanks for this.

Cisco_Kid

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »

You might want to check the NIC card's speed and duplex settings.

A speed mismatch between the two NICS will fail to establish a link. Auto-negotiation may also fail to properly negotiate the speed.

Try hard coding your NIC card to 100 Mbps at Full duplex

Monkey106

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »

How do you do that? I know bugger all about networking (as if you couldn't tell!)

Cisco_Kid

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Monkey106 @ Sep 11 2005, 05:22 PM)
How do you do that? I know bugger all about networking (as if you couldn't tell!)

start ->
network connections ->
right-click on your LAN connection ->properties

Click on the "Configure" button
Click on the advanced tab
Click on "speed and duplex settings"
Choose 100 at full duplex

bobjim17

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(Cisco_Kid @ Sep 12 2005, 11:47 AM)
start ->
network connections ->
right-click on your LAN connection ->properties

Click on the "Configure" button
Click on the advanced tab
Click on "speed and duplex settings"
Choose 100 at full duplex

Thanks for that.
Always wondered.

ATM my switch is giving me half duplex, so ill try and switch it over.  ;)

bobjim17

Monkey106

• Archived User
Wtf?
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »

Just changed the settings to 100mb Full Duplex, still no joy or nic light. God I hate networking.