xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Do I Need To Have A Chip Forr Hdd Swap  (Read 70 times)

Gizzmos13

• Archived User
Why Do I Need To Have A Chip Forr Hdd Swap
« on: June 13, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »

Why is it necessary to have a mod chip to do a HDD swap? What does the chip actually do, or not do? And while were at it; Why is it necessary to use a chip for ftp-ing files? Does the Xbox support it, or does the mod chip/dashboard integrate the ftp into the box?

Gizz
Andrew

This post has been edited by Gizzmos13: Jun 13 2004, 08:17 PM <

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Why Do I Need To Have A Chip Forr Hdd Swap
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »

first of all this belongs in the noob forum... or at least the tech forum...

as for your questions you dont need a  modchip to do a hdd swap. but here's why you should

when you flash the tsop/ install a modchip/ gamesave hack etc. you're replacing the stock M$ bios with a new bios that lets you run code without M$'s signature

here's what this means to you to run games from the hard drive. evolution x XBMC or any other "homebrew" software on the xbox you need that OTHER bios... this includes the ftp client... does the stock MS dashboard allow you to ftp? NO  will M$ ever make a version of the dashboard that will ever let you do that? not fucking likly.

as for the hard drive the stock hard drive is "locked" to the mobo (if you dont know what that means run a fucking search) modchips allow you to use an unlocked hard drive making it easy to swap. as for swaping hard drives without a modchip, you'll need to format and lock the hard drive you want to swap with if you want to use it without a modchip/tsopflash or whatever, but it doesn't do shit for you because again with the stock M$ bios the hard drive will be capped at 8gigs because the bios and dashboard don't recognize the F partition...

if you're still interested look at the tutorials section or run a search...

and for future reference dont waste bandwith on this site by asking questions with easily found answers in the wrong forum  :grr:   <