xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: XBMC Skin Editor: New Preview Coming Soon...  (Read 418 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
XBMC Skin Editor: New Preview Coming Soon...
« on: June 24, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | June 24 20:29 EST

From |EqUiNoX| on xbmcskineditor.xbox-scene.com:

I have been busy working on XBMC Skin Editor(info) and will be releasing a new copy very soon. You wont be able to edit skins yet, but you will see some nice new looking features and enhancements. Until then post any ideas and comments into the forum.

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

Keep up the good work!  Take your time, no rush....

JrracinFan8

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

Nice can't wait, but like expert said, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »

Glad to see you're still making progress smile.gif

Staple

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »

lokos really good i just wish releases wouldnt come out that youc ant even use seems like a waste of time and now your making another release that does nothing?? just wait and release it when it does something this makes it seem like with 2 preview releases that its gonna be a year from now this is gonna even be usable.

PDG1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 01:09:00 AM »

Word to that...

I like the way things are looking...
but you kinda need to work on the working part of the program
I hope you've stopped with the new features thing and entered into a "bug bashing" mode

I only wish i could try to help out with this...

unfortunuatly for me... I have to get ready to leave for Germany:D
gunna teach some Germy's to speak English:D
yeeehaw!
ahem... yea... they're doomed to be taught to speak my twisted broken english...
every one in Europe will say beans every time something bad happens...
it's going to be a revolution... you'll see

but yea... Keep it up EqUiNoX
I'm here if you ever need any moral support... i guess
lol

|EqUiNoX|

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »

Thought id post why I am doing several preview releases as and when I go so you can understand my idea behind it all.

1) I have not yet developed a skin myself and my current knowlege is based upon documentation and conversations with ppl who have created skins themselves, for example TeamBlackbolt. Because of that I feel doing previews will help stop me missing out any key parts needed in the application.

2) The next release will do alot more than the previous release and want to have thoughts and feelings of what I have done to this new release. This also helps keep me motivated in continuing on this project.

3) Im also hoping doing various previews will help motivate ppl to donate to this project.

I hope that helps you understand my reasons behind things and am looking forward to releasing the next build, dont worry I am taking my time  smile.gif. Once it is released maybe you will see why I am doing another preview.

PDG1

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 02:42:00 AM »

|EqUiNoX|, I hope so...
because i mean... It's kinda cruel don't you think????

"Here's an awesome app that should help you do things with your XBMC that you've been wanting to do for god knows how long... look at all the slick features... those buttons are nice, aren't they?"
and then it's all like...
"HA! YOU CAN'T USE IT! the app is currently in the pretty and taunting stage of development without any usability... wait some more you sucker"
and that's about when I shed a few tears

fortunuatly for me... I have patience... so... you better do a good job on it:P lol.

unfortunuatly... i'll have to have a lot because I think this thing is going to come out sometime within the next 3 months(hopefull) and I'll be in germany then... and I wont get to use it!!! OR MY XBOX!!!
so i'll even ahve to wait to use the great new skins that get made with it!!!
POO!
keep it coming |EqUiNoX|... keep it comin'

This post has been edited by PDG1: Jun 25 2006, 09:44 AM

|EqUiNoX|

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 03:40:00 AM »

One thing maybe i should also clear up is In my eyes I call useable the ability to preview the skin as you would see it on the Xbox, and to be able to drag and move controls around visually. The engine needed for this is getting there rather rapidly and the major pains I think have been overcome coding wise. I did say when i launched this site "Any help such as donations for example will enable me to complete this project faster as I would be able to afford time saving components for use within this application.". So since I've only had £10 donations so far I have either had to code the components needed my self or had to dig into my own pocket with hope that I will start seeing some donations come in the future.

So thanks everyone for being so patient, I do think you will like what I have done so far and maybe will be able to start using it as a helper tool for now for creating skins by hand until development is complete. For example knowing what files in a XPR are so you can work out what to override when modifying an existing skin by hand.

This project is a rather big project but trying to concentrate on useability first then adding all the bells and whistles like wizards to do things at later stage.

Thanks for all your support and understanding.

Jaxter

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

lol no offence, but you dont really need money to develop an app, if you already have the tools.

|EqUiNoX|

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

None taken, I agree, given the tools more or less anything can be written. But for example to write a fully comprehensive Syntax Highlighter capable of parsing XML, HTML, PHP, Python, Javascript etc would take quite a while its self especially since this project is being done in my spare time.

PDG1

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

I Completely agree...
what are you building this with again?
oo... and by any chance are you adding the ability to skin the Web Interface as well?

I really don't want to search the forums for this info... and you seem to be replying to this thread rather quickly
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Rock on

|EqUiNoX|

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 03:05:00 AM »

The application is being done in VB .NET 2005 with a little bit of C++. I have not really thought much the web interface side, but certainly is a possibility once the main application is done.

Adian00

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

DOH - I posted the reply below thinking you needed an editor for your coding purposes - on re-read of your post I think you are looking for an already written component to plug-in to the editor itself...my bad man!

--al

QUOTE(|EqUiNoX| @ Jun 25 2006, 03:32 PM) *

None taken, I agree, given the tools more or less anything can be written. But for example to write a fully comprehensive Syntax Highlighter capable of parsing XML, HTML, PHP, Python, Javascript etc would take quite a while its self especially since this project is being done in my spare time.

Have you ever used JEdit (www.jedit.org) - not an advertisement - just an editor that does everything you just asked for, plus a hell of alot more - and it is free (along with all the plugins!)

Check it out - this will definately help a bunch!

--adian00

This post has been edited by Adian00: Jul 3 2006, 06:17 AM

PMKnecht

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 02:15:00 AM »

Hi,

can you integrate the option to save the png file out of the xpr file? I'm not speaking about an automated extract routine (i dislike the idea to rip protected files that easy), but sometimes it is quite handy if "lost" png files can be retrieved.

Peter