xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Editing Xpr And Rebuilding Skin  (Read 308 times)

dipsy1848

• Archived User
Editing Xpr And Rebuilding Skin
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »

Hi Equinox and all involved,
Thanks for the skin editor. That is really Helpful to make custom skins.

Can one of you please tell me how to edit an xpr(Protected) file( This is because I want to add custom images there. Also, Can I know how to compile a skin after making the changes?How can I amke a new Textures.xpr after making those changes?

I have tried using the preview Skin Feature and it doesnt seem to open the skin for me( I tried Home.xml). Is that Still WIP(Work in Progress)?

Also,When is the next version of Skin Editor due.
Thanks

|EqUiNoX|

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »

Editing of a XPR is not possible how ever if you have a image in same dir as the XPR that image will overload the one held within the XPR (assuming same name). Preview is what I am currently developing and am hoping to have an update available with in 2 weeks. I am unsure how much I will get done but will keep everyone informed.

alterswede

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(|EqUiNoX| @ Jun 13 2006, 10:05 PM) *

Editing of a XPR is not possible how ever if you have a image in same dir as the XPR that image will overload the one held within the XPR (assuming same name). Preview is what I am currently developing and am hoping to have an update available with in 2 weeks. I am unsure how much I will get done but will keep everyone informed.

is there any program that can open a .xpr?
i've heard something about a program thats called XBMCTex, but cant find it anywhere.

and last, is there any tutorial on how you make a skin, from the moment you have created .psd file to compile it to .xpr?

thanks

|EqUiNoX|

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »

XBMCTex packs textures as one file and is part of the XBMC CVS. Packing the textures using XBMCTex is a way that designers have been protecting their skins, as no extractors exist and have deliberately not been made for this purpose. How ever writing XBMC Skin Editor I wanted people to be able to view images held in a XPR (very useful for working out what images you would like to overide) and the application to use them when skin editing and previewing. So after several weeks I managed to knock something up that was able to do that. Skinners now have the ability using XBMCTex to say if they want the XPR protected or not (default protected). Hence why the application says (Protected) against XPR.

So back to your original question...

1) XBMC Skin Editor can open an XPR but does not deliberatly provide extraction functionality.
2) http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.php?wakka=Index contains all the info you need for creating skins.
3) XBMC Skin Editor will make things alot easier to create/modify a skin and will guide you through the steps required.

I hope that helps.

This post has been edited by |EqUiNoX|: Jun 14 2006, 07:34 AM

PrOLiNe

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(|EqUiNoX| @ Jun 13 2006, 09:05 PM) *

Any situations you know of where it wont override? I have used same name as in xpr file and placed file in same directory as xpr with no luck.

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »

Hi!

If you want just to - for example - replace icons and backgrounds
from PMIII skins with your own files, yes, it is possible.

You just need to go to the SVN file repository (a HTTP address at
sourceforge) and download the full row of images for the PMIII
skin (a *LOT* of PNGs).

Then you replace the images you want for your new ones,
for example - I added royalty free icons from Mac OS released
by Iconfactory and removed that unknown girl from My Pictures
backgrounds.

Then you will need to run XBMCTex to generate a new TEXTURES.XPR,
following my own taste. Bingo!
(c:

Cheers,
Cospefogo.