xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Basic Skin.xml Editing Using Unleashx  (Read 200 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Basic Skin.xml Editing Using Unleashx
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »

UnleashX built a file editor into his file manager, and associated it with .txt and .xml files. The XBMC developers didn't - that's why you can edit .xml files in UnleashX but not in XBMC.

There's an XBMC notepad script that allows you to edit text files, and as it's a python script it should be fairly easy to modify to do whatever you want. I'm not sure it works with the latest XBMC builds, but it's probably worth a try.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »

It doesn't matter what you use to edit the xml file. Whether you stuff it up or not depends on which bits you edit, and how much you read up before you start. smile.gif

Why would you imagine that an edit would undo itself on rebooting?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »

UnleashX doesn't undo any edits on booting. When you change the skin, the first time you press A it loads the new skin in memory, but DOESN'T change config.xml to point to the new skin location. Thus when you reboot it still loads the original skin - no undoing of edits required, because nothing was edited in the first place. Config.xml is only rewritten if you press A twice - the first time loads the skin into memory, the second time commits it to config.xml.

Apart from the default skins that are embedded in UnleashX, every UnleashX skin publishes its skin.xml, and they are all editable. There are hundreds you can examine here.

As far as skinning guides, try searching here on Xbox Scene for UnleashX skinning guide. I can't find a single resource that pulls it all together, but the nearest I can find is useful posts like this.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

Skin changes not being saved is almost always down to there being two <Skin Path="D:\Skin">Skin_Name</Skin> lines in config.xml.

As with the rest of UnleashX there are bound to be some niggling bugs in the skin handling system, and as I've said before UnleashX has been completely unsupported since May 2007, so we just have to live with it as-is, including occasionally having to reboot to escape from lockups caused by a particular skin.

FYI, if you go to the first page of the skins link in my earlier post there's an attempt at an Xbox 360 skin, including the startup video. It isn't perfect, but it's quite entertaining. smile.gif

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »

Just want to say thanks for that second link to the UnleashX board thread in particular. Exactly what I was looking for especially the list of valid skin.xml TAGS and the skin.xml examples. It's helped a great deal.