xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Supported Media On A Samsung Drive  (Read 102 times)

Scoubi

• Archived User
Supported Media On A Samsung Drive
« on: April 20, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »

Hi all,

I tried to look in the message board but I can't find anything about the supported media so I'm asking it here. Im trying to read a DVD Video on an unmodded xbox on which I flahed the BIOS using the MechAssault exploit. Also, I'm burning the DVD+/-R with a TDK 440N.

So I'm wondering which blank media is supported, are there any problem with CD-R too?

Thank you in advance

Scoubi

Xtrem

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »

It Will Depend On Your Samsung But Your Chances Are Higher To It To Read Any Type Of Medie Even Cd-R.

Albino

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 09:10:00 AM »

Apparently samsung drives don't support DVD+R i havent tried any of these in my samsung but i know they play DVD+RW and DVD-R perfectly, i have had a problem though with a really cheap CD-R but not with others probably just a bad burn.

amps

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 09:53:00 AM »

Now before you go saying that

Apparently samsung drives don't support DVD+R i havent tried any of these in my samsung but i know they play DVD+RW and DVD-R perfectly, i have had a problem though with a really cheap CD-R but not with others probably just a bad burn.

I read up on bitsetting and found that apparently the problem lies in with the burner and not the drive it self. My Plextor will NOT allow me to change the book type for any burnt DVD's so I must resort now to use DVD-R's. I was also using a HP DVD 300 which I borrowed from work, and after reading up found that it actually default's the book type to DVD-ROM that's why my XBOX could read the DVD +r's I had burnt before.

My recommendation now to all people who have these issues is to read up on their burners and not so much focus on their XBOX DVD drive. Besides some minor tweaks to the drive in the XBOX, if your burner ain't setting book type to DVD-ROM on +r's then you don't have much hope. Atleast that's what my findings are for me. Feel free to research the issue yourself.

My Samsung reads everything DVD+R DVD+RW DVD-R DVD-RW CD-R CD-RW

I'm gonna try burning capcom vs snk2 onto a mini disc and see if it reads it.

Oh yeah and before people start flaming, I'm not claiming all Samsungs do, just mine does

This post has been edited by amps: Apr 20 2004, 04:53 PM

Scoubi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 10:29:00 AM »

As I have refined my studies on the subject, there are still some things that I don't quite understand.

I burnt a movie on a DVD-R but it is not recognized by the xbox so I guess that it is coming from the way I recorded my movie. I'm trying another test by burning it under ISO and not UDF.

Also, I read in some posts that it is possible to change the book type. Do you think that Easy CD Creator does it? Also, you may think that this soft is a piece of Crap so which one would be more useful? (I like Nero better but I lost the license number  :unsure: ).

Well, thank you for your help. I know that my case may be really different to somebody else that have the same type of DVD player but we may find a solution :)

Scoubi

amps

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 11:08:00 AM »

Book Type can only be changed on specific burners.  It is not a feature of the software.  Here is a link  Book Type for you to read.

Scoubi

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 06:23:00 PM »

ok, so far, I have working: CD-R and DVD-R. However, DVD-R are not detected by the dashboard (Evolution X) but only by the media player XBMC but I can't play the DVD just by selecting "Play DVD", I just can play single .VOB. Any clue for solving that issue (any clue Region free also, I found a patch in the DVD-Scene tools but it don't work :/ ) ? Thank you in advance :)

Scoubi

This post has been edited by Scoubi: Apr 21 2004, 01:33 AM

Scoubi

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

a little update: I actually installed DVD2x that now playes my DVD from every region but I still can't play my burnt DVD-R. However, I'm able to see the .vob :/ Anyone have a clue to fix this? Thank you

Scoubi