xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wol/sol Shutdown Blade Mod For Mc360 V1.0  (Read 368 times)

eel_dahc

• Archived User
Wol/sol Shutdown Blade Mod For Mc360 V1.0
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(timdog82001 @ Feb 18 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

This is a mod I did which integrates the WOL (wake on lan) and SOL (shutdown on lan) scripts into the shutdown  blade.  

Can this still be found?

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

This is a mod I did which integrates the WOL (wake on lan) and SOL (shutdown on lan) scripts into the shutdown  blade.  WOL and SOL, if it isn't obvious, allow you to remotely start or shutdown your computer from the xbox, without ever going near the computer.  It's a GREAT feature to have if you stream a lot of content of your computer, or play on xlink kai a lot, and you can start the computer, or shut it down, without ever leaving the comfort of your chair.  I have tried to make this as clean and complete as possible, with confirmation windows, and a setting to disable the button.  The button even disappears when the xbox isn't hooked up to the network.

To install, configure the scripts, configure the sol.exe, and enable Wake On Lan in your computers bios.  There is an EXTREMELY in depth guide to doing this below, so absolutely anybody should be able to figure it out.  It's fairly simple anyway, but I don't want to leave anybody less computer literate behind.  Read that guide if you have any questions.  Also, feel free to post any comments, criticism, suggestions, or questions on here as well.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have included these two scripts in the rar posted below.  It uses the "Tweaked WOL"  and the "ShutdownPConLAN" scripts found on www.xbmcscripts.com.  If you decided to download these separately, or if you already use them, make sure they're located in the root of your Q:/scripts folder, and that you do not change the name of the folders or .py files included.  If you would like to change the location of the scripts (maybe if you organize or categorize your scripts into subfolders) you will have to edit some xml in the DialogButtonMenu.xml included, in about 9 places, if you decide to change the locations for both the SOL script and the WOL.  Just open the file in notpad, hit control + F and you search for "Q:\scripts\" and you should be able to find all of them that way...

Here are some screenshots...

(IMG:http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6509/screenshot001ac1.jpg)

Just press left or right to toggle between Starting up or Shutting down the computer...

(IMG:http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5770/screenshot000ob5.jpg)

I added a new Settings window called "Skin Mods Settings" seen here.  You have to go to this window to enable the new WOL and SOL buttons.  By default, it's set to disabled, so you won't see it when you first transfer everything over.  Right now, there is only one option in this window, but I have some more mods planned,  so its usefulness will grow.

(IMG:http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8776/screenshot002dv3.jpg)

As you can see here, it works with any combination of using profiles or master lock, or both, which is the case in this photo.
(IMG:http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3101/screenshot003vs2.jpg)

Here's a picture of what the blade looks like that pops up when you select "Start PC."
(IMG:http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9731/screenshot002og7.jpg)

The confirmation dialog that pops up when you select "Shutdown PC"
(IMG:http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6258/screenshot05mz5.jpg)

HOW TO SET UP SCRIPTS:

Note:  This may look like a lot of words, and may seem complicated because of that, but this is only because I made sure to write down every detail of every step so there would be absolutely NO ONE wondering how to get this working on their computer/xbox.  It is actually very easy and very self expanatory, and most should be able to figure it out WITHOUT this guide, but it's here for anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing.  There are only a fewthings I can think of that aren't completely obvious:

1.  Make sure not to run the SETUP.EXE or SETUP1.EXE files to try to install the sol.exe for the shutdown on lan.  It isn't necessary, and they don't work.

2.  You have to manually edit the settings.ini and sol.py to make sure they match eachother, as well as the settings of your computer.

3.  You have to enable Wake On Lan in your computers BIOS.  Look in your computer's or motherboard's manual for more info.

All this an much more is covered in more depth below

IDIOT'S GUIDE TO CONFIGURING SCRIPTS:

Shutdown On Lan (SOL/SDOL):

For this script, you will have to run a tiny program in the background on your computer to listen for your xbox telling it to shutdown.  You can easily add it to the Startup folder, so it will start with your computer.  Open up the folder  "ShutdownPConLAN" and right click on the file "ShutdownOnLAN.rar" and choose "Extract to ShutdownOnLan\."  Navigate into the newly created folder and right click on "sol.CAB" and click on "Extract to sol\."  Now, in this newly created folder, open settings.ini with a text editor, like notepad.  Now, navigate to the root of your ShutdownPConLan folder and open the sol.py file with a text editor.  (don't bother with the sol.py file found next to the settings.ini file, because the xbox won't know to look there). Now, just make sure the serverPorts match and change the IP address in sol.py to match that of your computer.  To figure out the IP Address of your computer, go Start -> Run  and type CMD and press enter.  A black window will appear, in which you should type "ipconfig" and press enter.  A few numbers should pop up, one of which will say "IP Address" next to it.  Simply replace the "ServerHostName" number in the sol.py file with the the IP Address of your computer.  Now, close both files, making sure to save.

Now, transfer the whole ShutdownPConLan folder into the root of your scripts folder in XBMC on your xbox, and double click on the sol.exe file found in the folder where you edited the settings.ini file.  A small icon of a door should appear in your taskbar (bottom right corner of your computer screen).  You should now be able to shutdown your computer by running this script on your xbox.

NOTE: You may have to open a port in your firewall(s) before this will work.
NOTE:  Also, don't try running the SETUP.exe or SETUP1.exe.  They just don't work.

If you would like this program to run everytime you start up the computer, rightclick on sol.exe, and select "Create Shortcut."  Now, just movie this file into your startup folder.  This can easily be accessed by going Start -> All Programs, and right click on "Startup" and choose "open."  Simply move the shortcut here (make sure not to move the actual sol.exe, or it will not work).

Wake On Lan (WOL):

To configure the Wake on Lan to work, you need to first, make sure your computer has this capability (most newer ones do, I believe) and you need to enable it, by going into your computer BIOS and enabling an option that is frequently labeled OnBoard LAN or Boot from LAN.  It may be found in the ‘OnBoard Device Configuration’, ‘Boot’, or ‘PowerSave’ menu, but it all depends on the BIOS. In case of doubt, consult the documentation for your motherboard.  To access your computer BIOS, this is normally done by hitting delete or F4 or ESC or something similar repeatedly while the computer is first starting up.  If you look in your user manual for your motherboard, or for your computer if its a dell or something like that, you should be able to figure it out.  Google or the manufacturers website might be useful for figuring this out if you can't find it in the manual.  Once you have it properly enable, I believe the lights on your network port should stay lit when plugged in.

Now that you've enabled it in the BIOS of your computer, all you should have to do is configure it on your xbox.  On your computer, go Start -> Run  and type "cmd" and press enter.  A black window should pop up, and here type "getmac" and press enter.  Your active network ports should all pop up here, with the mac address listed on the left (should be in a format similar to "00-17-31-8B-2E-1C."  If there's more than one, figure out which one is connected to the network your xbox is on.    Now, on the xbox, start the script, and go to "Change Settings."  Here, you can add up to 5 different computers, and name each one.  Go to Computer 1, change the name if you'd like, and change the mac address to the one you found on your computer.  Now, when you shutdown your computer, if everything is configured correctly, you should be able to start your computer with a couple easy clicks of a button on your xbox.

NOTE:  There is an "autoupdate.py" included with this script.  Don't run it, it will only break the script and make it nonfunctional.

HOW TO INSTALL:

Simply copy this MC360 folder over the top of the one already on your xbox.  It may prompt you, saying there is already a file by this name, and so on.  Go ahead and say yes and copy over them.  Also, make sure the scripts are in the root of your scripts folder.

I have included a READ ME.txt with the mod as well, so all this is there as well.

DOWNLOAD!

This post has been edited by timdog82001: Feb 19 2007, 06:12 AM

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

Nice smile.gif

I had a little trouble figuring out which MAC address was the one I wanted to use (5 different ones came up on my computer tongue.gif ), so I used the command "ipconfig /all", which listed my MAC addresses as well as the network adapter they are for. Just a little easier...

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'd edit my post, if i still could.  I guess i didn't think about how hard it would be for most people to figure it out that way, cause I have all but one of my ports disabled.

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:19:00 AM »

I realized my translate.xml wasn't completely up to date with the most recent SVN, so it causes a strange typo in the scripts options menu.  You can download an update here, or if you'd rather just edit it yourself, open up the virgin, unaltered Translate.xml found in the PAL folder when you first download a new MC360 using a simple text editor, like Notepad.  At the very bottom, right above the very last  "</include>" add the following code.  Make sure it's indented like the stuff above it.
CODE

Since this skin only modifies two xml files aside from the Translate.xml, and the rest are new windows, it should be very rare that these files need updating.  Translate.xml will be the only one hard to keep up with, and you can easily update yourself, by simply adding this code into the new translate.xml's.

After this point, I'll probably only post new downloads if something changes other than the Translate.xml

Anyway, here is the most recent:

http://rapidshare.co...uter_Button.rar

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

It ocurred to me that I didn't add widescreen support for this....I'll probably do that in the next couple of days when I have time.

Bigfoot87

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

man I love this! biggrin.gif

It works perfectly over here biggrin.gif
Thanks a lot!

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 03:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bigfoot87 @ Feb 23 2007, 08:36 AM) View Post

man I love this! biggrin.gif

It works perfectly over here biggrin.gif
Thanks a lot!

I'm glad to hear you like it smile.gif

I'm currently working on another, much larger, and I think, very cool mod.wink.gif  Stay tuned for that...

Should be ready in a couple days to a week, I think

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »

I've just released and update of this as part of my monster mod.  Not much has changed with this part of the mod, except you no longer have to edit the translate.xml.  Just copy the files over and you're done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

you can find it here...

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry3934053

This post has been edited by timdog82001: Mar 21 2007, 05:10 AM

Geeba

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »

Is the download for the SOL/WOL still working? It says the file is no longer available?

Also do you think you will write this for PMIII? really need SOL and cant get the one that is written in German working?

Thanks
G.

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »

i didn't modify the sol script, i just added a button that allows you to start up or shutdown your computer from the MC360 Shutdown Blade.  However, if you want a detailed walkthrough, download my MC360 Monster Mod found here:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=593354