xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Does Error 16 Mean?  (Read 206 times)

robabsalom

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« on: April 07, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »

i just installed anew hard drive and all went well. now with chip enables all is cool but when disabled i get error 16 on my screen. i have locked the new hd with config magic and it seemed to work. now i'm lost???

xboxzombie

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

its a dashboard error check to see if your m$ dash is on your new hdd and make sure its named right.

robabsalom

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »

sorry to be thick but where abouts would it be on the hard drive and what should it be called?

Xtrem

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (xboxzombie @ Apr 7 2004, 02:15 PM)
its a dashboard error check to see if your m$ dash is on your new hdd and make sure its named right.

Hein ¿!

Your Hdd Is Missing The Clock Settings. Just Put Back All The C: From The Old One To The New One.

robabsalom

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

i have an evoxdash.xbe and an xboxdash.xbe on my c: is that wrong?

robabsalom

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »

i have already tried copying my old c: drive over - the same thing happens.  I know the old c: was working ok on my old hard drive.

xboxzombie

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

Hein ¿!

my bad miss read the post thought i seen a 13 :lol:

Xtrem

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

Are You Getting The Same Error With The Old One ¿ If No Juste Replace All C: And E:

robabsalom

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »

thats what i'm saying. when i installed the new hd i copied over C and E that i had backed up from the old drive. they were fine on old drive but not on this one!

i seem to have files on the c drive relating to clock settings so they seem to be there

Xtrem

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

Check This :

16 - dashboard - Clock cannot be set. Well i wrote another tutorial about this specific error so here it is:
[Details]
When browsing these forums i see more and more posts about clock settings going wrong and posts about error 16. Here the basics for rescuing your precioussss

Basically it comes down to this. error 16 has to do with not finding the menu setting with which you can set the clock of the hdd. This happens to a lot of people that:
1. Erase there hdd (original/upgraded) and after that they dont immediatly install the hdd but leave the xbox without power longer than 5 hours.

It's all about the hdd can;t find the menu with which it can set the clock. This is mostly because the xbox hdd is empty (you removed dashboard or fux0red with ftpp). The problem arises when xbox searches for menu to set clock with, can't find it and voila: error 16. Well read on please!

So you have an error 16 uh? Don't worry "nothing" is broken!

You have an xbox hdd that is locked. And normally you can boot in original and modded mode. Retail or Upgraded doesnt matter. You start playing around with msdashboard.xbe default.xbe that sort off stuff using ftp programs. While doing this you "accidently" remove your msdashboard and also the evo-x dashboard so there is no dash anymore on the xbox hdd. You end the ftp session and after that you shut off your xbox. Normally when you would start up again it gives you an error 13/14 ( no dashboard found). No worries with a slayer evo-x cd all is ok. BUT this is only WITHIN 3 hours or so.

This is becuz the internal clock of the xbox will only be kept alive by the condensators for only 3 hours or 4 . So when you leave your xbox unplugged form electricity for over 5 hours after you have played with the .xbe's AND you have removed your (ms and evox)dash from your xbox than you are fux0red. Why do you ask?
Why can't i boot from cd?

Its as follows
Xbox starts booting==> (almost 1st thing a xbox does is) searches for internal clock==> doesnt find internal clock becuz there hasnt been any electricity on the xbox for 5 hours so battery that kept clock alive is empty and clock is gone.==> searches for the proper dashboard menu to set clock with ==> doesnt find msdashboard or evo-x dashboard menu becuz you d*mbo have removed it from the hdd for whatever reasons you had==>xbox gives error 16: cannot set clock.

So what do you do about it? Two options!

1. There are some bios'es around that allow the chip to boot past the clocksetting. (do a search!).So how do you get that bios on your chip becuz you cant boot to a flash program or something. Well you need to have an external flasher.

*edit*
Posted by: "chris67rs" It seems the d6 or higher bios will take care for you of booting past the clocksetting. Or Use executor 4981 bios
thanks chris67rs for sorting this out for me
*/edit*

2. This is the more easy and newbie friendly strategy
-Get a friend with a modded xbox.
-Unlock his hdd with eeprom management from a slayer evo-x cd.
-Than, place his hdd in your xbox.
-Boot with your chip on.
-Now the xbox DOES find a dashboard when you boot in original mode and you can set the time in the msdashboard clock settings.
-Shut off xbox and remove your friends hdd
-PLace his hdd back in his xbox and lock it again
-Install your hdd
-(clock has been set) So boot up with slayer cd.
-Install normally whatever you wanna install
-lock hdd

robabsalom

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »

thanks for that i'll have a read.

out of interst should I have xboxdash.xbe on my c drive or msdashboard.xbe as stated in this article?

robabsalom

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »

come on guys i need to get this working. any way of finding out what dashboard files i'm missing?

Xtrem

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »

xboxdash.xbe And evoxdash.xbe

ghanchi

• Archived User
What Does Error 16 Mean?
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »

Maybe your drive is not lockable

robabsalom

• Archived User