xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Want To Start My Own Local Xbox Mod Business...  (Read 269 times)

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Want To Start My Own Local Xbox Mod Business...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »

word of mouth, best method, i have made tons of money modding peoples xbox, just go by word of mouth and youll get plenty of business.

wirercx

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

Hey, I've been wanting to do something like this ever since i modded my first xbox. But do u really think a 12 year old could start a buisness? hey lemme know if i could cuz my parents are all for it (the only thing they r concerned about is child labor laws).

Trevante

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

well yes, but chances are if you tell them or if they know you're only 12 years old, they're not going to trust you with their Xbox.

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (wirercx @ Apr 1 2004, 10:00 PM)
Hey, I've been wanting to do something like this ever since i modded my first xbox. But do u really think a 12 year old could start a buisness? hey lemme know if i could cuz my parents are all for it (the only thing they r concerned about is child labor laws).

dude im floating in the exact same boat ur in. Im 12, but im turning 13 next month. I wanna start a mod busenius, cuz i really enjoyed modding mine. Plus, a ton of my bro's friends have "unmodded" xboxes.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (Klatu @ Apr 1 2004, 11:34 AM)
Well I'm in the new orleans area (southern louisiana)

New Orleans man? I love that place, it's like my Disneyland (or Dollywood for all you hicks out there)! Totally off topic but I had to throw that in there.

Anyhow, when I do my modding I tell them where to get the stuff to make it all work and just do the mod itself, it's also a case by case basis, just be careful about how much you help instead of letting them discover it on their own. smile.gif

Also I've always wanted to do this when I see your sig.

Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

MANHUNT

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

Hey Klatu if you know what you are doing it sound like a great idea to make some quick buck$. Also it is not illegal to install new bios (Slayers) on your Xbox or anyone elses as long as they are fine with it (I would suggest making a wager or something for your xbox that they would sign) Its illegal if they use their Modded Xbox in the worng way such as going out and renting a game from a friend or a store and Burn it to the Xbox HD. I dont think you will have any problems with this business just dont goto an EB or Gamestop and advertise just spread the word and youll make some money. Also there was a store in the mall about 10 minutes away from me that would mod your Xbox and add HD and stuff they also sold classic Atari, Xbox, PS2 and all sorts of stuff.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »

i believe the distribution of the unsigned code makes it illegal, so you cant give out any software

also when you're doing things for a profit it's a lot of the time depending on the intended use and not the advertised use, that's the problem many small time hippie shops have ran into because they advertise their pipes for "tobacco" but then they are purchased with another intent obviously, so it's a tricky deal, but also if you look at the odds of being caught it's fairly slim, i mean system mods or xbox-wired and such, most of these if not all are U.S. based so if MS really wanted to they could just order a box, find the unsigned code, and go after them, if youre small time i'd take my chances

wirercx

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (buttface96 @ Apr 1 2004, 11:44 PM)
dude im floating in the exact same boat ur in. Im 12, but im turning 13 next month. I wanna start a mod busenius, cuz i really enjoyed modding mine. Plus, a ton of my bro's friends have "unmodded" xboxes.

glad to know we're in the same boat.

also too bad you live in New orleans and I live in NY.

we could have made a buisness together. *shrugs*

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2004, 04:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (IndieSnob @ Apr 1 2004, 03:48 PM)
If you think your local gamestop, or any gamestop for that matter is going to let people do modding of xbox's out of the shop, you're 51 cards short in that deck.

Funny story:

My friend just came by tonight (because I'm modding his Xbox).  He told me he went to our local GameStop and the guy there told him that he knows a guy that tried to get onto Live with his modded Xbox.  The next thing he knew the FBI was knocking at his door and they took him away to a federal detention prison.  laugh.gif

My friend doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to any of this but he still knew that the guy was full of it.

You've got to love that they're resorting to scare tactics.  wink.gif

Klatu,

Good luck with the mod shop!  I do a similar thing where I am (Northern Rhode Island).    If you are looking for any ideas/guidance on what to do as far as the business aspect of it goes then let me know.  Not that I'm Captain Xbox Modder but hopefully I could give you some insight from my experience.  smile.gif

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (wirercx @ Apr 2 2004, 02:10 AM)
glad to know we're in the same boat.

also too bad you live in New orleans and I live in NY.

we could have made a buisness together. *shrugs*

where did u hear i live in New Orleans, cuz i dont. Im a native of Southen Cali!

"Westside Yo."

Sorry i just had to say that

wirercx

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 04:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (buttface96 @ Apr 2 2004, 02:22 AM)
where did u hear i live in New Orleans, cuz i dont. Im a native of Southen Cali!

"Westside Yo."

Sorry i just had to say that

oh sorry i got somebody else mixed with u.

IndieSnob

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (chefelf @ Apr 1 2004, 06:18 PM)
Funny story:

My friend just came by tonight (because I'm modding his Xbox).  He told me he went to our local GameStop and the guy there told him that he knows a guy that tried to get onto Live with his modded Xbox.  The next thing he knew the FBI was knocking at his door and they took him away to a federal detention prison.  laugh.gif

My friend doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to any of this but he still knew that the guy was full of it.

You've got to love that they're resorting to scare tactics.  wink.gif

Hahahaha. Gamestop,EBWorld, etc, hell all electronics retailers have the biggest morons working for them for the most part it seems. I remember since the first days of PSX modding the old stories of the feds would knock down the door, the playstation would set fire to your house etc. I had to laugh at that everytime. Thanks for sharing that story with us  laugh.gif

Glock.45

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »

Yah, I think even the FBI has better things to do than bust a buch of 12 year olds.  Their own butts are in the fire.  There are probably to busy shredding documents right now.

wirercx

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2004, 04:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (Wild182 @ Apr 2 2004, 08:59 AM)
Not sure about the software though  dry.gif

Putting HACKED BIOSes on a machine is ILLEGAL. Putting Cromwell on there or linux is LEGAL.

OlDirtyJohn

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »

i always love to hear everything the gamestop guys have to say. thier stupidness never ceases to amaze me. i personally will never go back to one of thier stores again after the many times i have been treated like crap in there. i was thinking about contacting thier corporate headquaters and complaining, but thought why bother.

and this is kind of off topic, but... the last time i went into a gamestop i went in to buy another xbox. i asked the guy if he could open it there in the store cuz i did not want one with a thomson. and he didnt just give me a plain no. he went on for 20 minutes about how MS only used the thomson in older "generation 1 and 2 xboxs" and "MS is now producing generation 8 and 9 xboxs that all have samsungs"... now you dont have to be a genius to know that EVERYTHING this guy was telling me was total bullshit. so i asked him if all his customers knew he lied to them and acted like he knew everything. and he had no idea what i was talking about. so i told him that if i get home and there is a thomson in it, id be back pronto to exchange for another one. sure enough it was a thomson, so i took it back. and as soon as i took it back they acted liek they had never seen me before, and i told them i wanted to exchange it and why. they went all crazy on me and got the manager, and they had to take everything out and inspect everything , after they blatantly accused me of trying to steal parts out of it.

so i argued with them some more and to make a long story short, i just told them to give me my money back, and they refused, and i said well see what your boss has to say about that and to give me his name and #, and they gave me back my money.

i havent been back there since and dont plan on it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3