xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Want To Start My Own Local Xbox Mod Business...  (Read 268 times)

Klatu

• Archived User
Want To Start My Own Local Xbox Mod Business...
« on: April 01, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »

As the topic says I wanna start modding xbox's for other people.  I really enjoyed modding mine and would love to do it some more and make some cash in the process.  I am good at soldering (mod chips, adding LED's, etc) but suck at painting lol.  

I want to make some fliers and put them around the university campus and in the local game shops in the mall.  I'm friends with a local used video game company and i'm sure they would let me put a flier up in there.  Also plan on making a website to put on the flier with exact details.

I just had a few questions about it all....  Where can I order mod chips cheap?  I want them to have an external switch so people could enable/disable it and all.  I don't want to be one of those crooked guys who do cheapmods and softmods and all.  What's wrong with older x2 chips? like the 2.2's or whatnot?  Can't I get them cheaper?  Is there anything different about those than the 2.3b's?  

Also what is legal for me to do?  Just install the mod chip?  I'd like to give the entire package to people so they wouldn't have to do it themselves.  Or at least burn them a cd with the bios and a cd with Slayers and give them some instructions.  Is that illegal?  *scratches head*

Any help you guys have, let me know :)  I was up all night pondering this stuff but was too tired to get out of bed to come post ^_^

rainfever

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

glad to see you have a clear idea (illegal/not illegal) so it looks like you are on your way...

i dont know if i qualify for giving advice, i would say find out what type of plastic the xbox case is made out of (or close to it) go buy some, and then experiment, if you mess up on a case painting it, it would be your job to buy a new case.  That would kill ya if you mess up too many cases.

neondragon3k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »

i think its def. legal to chip the box with cromwell bios, as most sites will advertise that. as for slayers, that makes things a bit grey, many sites who sell slayers dont put it on their site possibly due to legal reasons, and is only available upon request, hope this helps

pepsik

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »

Depends on the region where you live, if you live in the US or the UK I wouldn't advertise. Recent legislation is still sketchy but why add fuel to the fire when you can just lay low. Word of mouth can bring in your best business if your going to be legit about it.

Xtrem

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

But If You Are In Canada Its Very Hard To Get Close By Ms™ Lol Like The Latest News Is That We Can Download Music Over The Net As Much As We Want ! This Suck For The Record Companies...

neondragon3k

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

yea i would agree with pepsik as far as the uk is concerned, people seem to be getting done, n maybe even jail terms!

Klatu

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »

Well I'm in the new orleans area (southern louisiana)

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 09:37:00 AM »

You know i was planning to do the same thing. I wanted to pass out fliers, or maybe get a commercial on tv. But i wasnt sure if it was legal. Could people make a fuss over it, and get me in some legal trouble for my busenius. Has any1 done this be4?

Trevante

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 09:45:00 AM »

The most you can do is install the flashing the chip w/a hacked bios or installing evox or any other software compiled with the xdk.

However, you can give them the HDD's and refer  them to this site and/or print out the tuts and guides.

Good luck.

Klatu

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »

Hmmm well I guess I could just put mod chips in with the cromwell bios and let them know it's illegal for me to do anything else and print up tutorials  with links here and all B)

Or I could make my own forum somewhere and then just walk them through step by step in there or through a chat program *shrugs*

Anyone know where I can order like 10 mod chips with a disable switch for cheap?

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

i started to do it by going to my local import videogames store and offering to do the mods for any xboxs they want done, ive done loads for them (sometimes 10 a week).

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (alsybub @ Apr 1 2004, 07:15 PM)
i started to do it by going to my local import videogames store and offering to do the mods for any xboxs they want done, ive done loads for them (sometimes 10 a week).

wont they get mad? I thought of doing that to my local gamestop, but i thought they would get all pissed off, cuz most people just asume modding is illegal, even tho most of it isnt. Has any1 went 2 gamestop and tried this?

IndieSnob

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »

If you think your local gamestop, or any gamestop for that matter is going to let people do modding of xbox's out of the shop, you're 51 cards short in that deck.

AllPro2004

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »

pepsik is right, word of mouth is the best way to go.

I told one kid two weeks ago that he could play nintendo games on his xbox, and
now im a couple hundred dollars richer because he told some friends about it.

Xerium

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »

wink.gif  That was one of the dumbest questions ive ever head...Is distributing illegal sofware legal... huh.gif No giving a SlaYers Cd is not legal. www.gameshopusa.com <--- bulk order 2.3 lites ( i am assuming you solder) Cheapest chip w/ external board i can find. Flash w/ Xecuters cromwell and give them a pamphlet with how to get on Xbins(this IS leagal, this would other wise violate freedom of speech) And i would be careful how you advertise, MS would love to bust your ass biggrin.gif

Just my opinions

Xerium
Pages: [1] 2 3