xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can Not Boot To Install New Hdd - Locking Problem?  (Read 401 times)

Nimbus

• Archived User
Can Not Boot To Install New Hdd - Locking Problem?
« on: May 13, 2003, 04:13:00 AM »

Hi,

Sorry for the long first post...  wink.gif

I've installed my Matrix modchip no problem. I've got a boot CD-RW for Evo-X and I can load this up as well. I've got a new 80gb Seagate HDD I want to install but having some problems. I've read everything I can find on here and also spoken to a freind who's been trying to help.

This is the situation...

1) The X-Box works with the original HDD when I boot with the Evo-X boot disk.
2) I made a format Evo-X boot disk for my new HDD
3) I've put in the factory fresh new HDD and tried to boot with the new boot disk, but get the "your x-box needs servicing" message.
4) I've tiried using the Slayer disk as well, but same problem (loads with original HDD though).

Now, I've looked at the info on locking, but not sure if I need to do this or not, and if I do, excatcly how I go about it...

The tutorials I've read say that I need to have Evo-X installed on the new HDD before I can format with it as it will need to read the unlock code. This doesn't make sense to me as I can not get the HDD to work in the X-Box, so how can I copy Evo-X to it?

Do I even need to lock the drive if I'm booting from an Evo-X disk? My freind says I should not have to, but looking through the forum I'm not sure...

I've found the xhdprepa tool, so I've zero'ed a test drive first (not my 80gb unit) and will try it tonight when I get home. I don't know if this will fix it as I'm still thinking this is something to do with drive locking.

Can anyone help? I've been waiting ages to get the modchip and HDD and it's frustrating when I can not get it to work sad.gif

Cheer!

Agen_T443

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 04:24:00 AM »

u lock your hdd after u have upgraded your hdd thats not the problem.

Nimbus

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 04:45:00 AM »

So I should not need to lock the new HDD? Any idea why i can not boot to Evo-X CD-RW with it installed?

Cheers!

yosomono99

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 04:50:00 AM »

is there any data (possibly from coming out of your computer) on your 80gb drive...my friend had the same prob so he put his after market drive in his comp...did a quick format...then he no longer got the error msg...hope this helps

Nimbus

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

It's a brand new HDD. Not formatted or anything...

???  sad.gif

Agen_T443

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 05:05:00 AM »

have u tried putting evox in the xbox dvd drive then turn it of and on again i know mine takes a couple of times of doing that to get it to boot u said it works on the original hdd was that before or after u tried installing the new hdd?

Nimbus

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 05:11:00 AM »

yea, I've tried switching on with the Evo-x disk in the DVD drive. Same problem. sad.gif

If the original HDD is plugged in, it boots first time with the Evo-X CD. If plug the new drive it it gives the error message.

Agen_T443

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 05:14:00 AM »

what setting did u give the new hard drive master etc

Nimbus

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 05:15:00 AM »

Tried both Cable Select (as per original drive) and Master.

Agen_T443

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 05:25:00 AM »

are your cables in the right way, maybe u should take back the hdd and get another or wait until one of the more experience members wake up they should be able to help u,when i done mine it worked first go sorry i cant help u more mate.

Nimbus

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 05:37:00 AM »

cables are all connected OK. i've tried it with both the fresh HDD and a previuosly used HDD that was in my PC. Both give the error.

I've just tried using the hdxprepa program to zeroise the old hdd so I'll try that tonight.

if anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers

starwarznut

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 06:11:00 AM »

Nimbus, do you know which DVD drive you have? You may have the Thomson drive which is picky about loading software. You did everything exactly the way I did. Here's how I did it-- I tried to load up EvoX after I installed my mod to get the FTP working so I could transfer my original drive to my PC. I had to try to boot the disc about 20-30 times to get it to work. After I backed up the drive, I removed the original and put in my Maxtor 120GB drive. I tried to boot up from a EvoX new HDD install disk, but experienced the same problem. So I had to just keep trying the disc, and it finally booted up. I then formatted the drive, and then tried to get my FTP back up and running. I then transfered the Evox and backed up hard drive files to the C drive on the newly formatted drive. It would then boot without the CD.  So, you may want to just keep trying the disc. Everytime I was at the point of giving up, it would boot. biggrin.gif So try that first.

I'm actually finishing a mod for a friend of mine today, and his loads Evox on every try, so the drive makes a difference. Let me know if this works.

Nimbus

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 06:22:00 AM »

Thanks starwarznut, I'll try that. I only tried re-booting a couple of times, so maybe I need to keep at it!! Not sure what the DVD drive is. But it boots first time with the original HDD, so I was expecting it to boot first time with the new one in place..

starwarznut

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 06:24:00 AM »

Hmmm.....yeah, I would think that it should boot up too, if it was doing it ok with the other drive. I just kept ejecting and reinserting the disc about 30 times. It should come up then.

diamondX

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 06:24:00 AM »

if you are having trouble reading a disk with a brand new hard drive, and you are using an x2 bios, just pop in your old drive and disk... flash your mod with latest evox eject fix bios, then install your new hd and try your disk... x2 bios has much more difficult time with burnt media with a new hd for some reason...  hope this helps! smile.gif