xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Link Cable...?  (Read 308 times)

1/2pint

• Archived User
Xbox Link Cable...?
« on: April 21, 2003, 05:25:00 AM »

Hi all,

I'm trying to link up my Xbox to my PC, but I'm not quite sure what I need.  I know I need an RJ-45 crossover cable, but I'm not too sure what type of NIC I need for that.  (Basically, I haven't got a clue what I'm doing).  I have an Xbox link cable, so I was wondering if I'd just be able to use that instead of forking out for a cable?

Also, what type of NIC do I need?  I have a spare PCI slot in my PC for one, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

NRG

• Archived User
Xbox Link Cable...?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 05:28:00 AM »

I just connect my xbox with a hub and cat5 cable and it worked. No need to install a 2nd nic in your pc. Too much work. Although its not hard but the hub or router way is a better way to go.

Its up to you. Hope that helps.

1/2pint

• Archived User
Xbox Link Cable...?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 05:31:00 AM »

It kinda helps, though what do I need for that method then? :) (ie. what type of hub)

I'm just trying to go for the cheapest option, really.

Shaocaholica

• Archived User
Xbox Link Cable...?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (NRG @ Apr 21 2003, 07:21 AM)
I just connect my xbox with a hub and cat5 cable and it worked. No need to install a 2nd nic in your pc. Too much work. Although its not hard but the hub or router way is a better way to go.

Its up to you. Hope that helps.

Try to help the n00bs out NRG.  Your solution costs 1000% more than what most people would have told him.

You can use any NIC thats 10Mbit or 100Mbit or 10/100Mbit.  Just connect the xbox to that NIC with your systemlink cable(FYI, a systemlink cable is a crossover cable).  If you buy you NIC new, there's no way of getting the wrong one.  Well, you can't use certain NICs like wireless NICs and $2000 fiber NICs but I'd think you would have a shread of common sense.

Here's a Newegg link with some cheap NICs what will work

You may want to sort that list by price if it starts listing the most expensive NICs first.

This post has been edited by Shaocaholica: Apr 21 2003, 02:43 PM

leigao84

• Archived User
Xbox Link Cable...?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 08:00:00 AM »

Think man, that router might come in handy for Live or future options too. I don't want to turn my computer on everytime I wanna play live. And routers are like $60-70 out there (get one that work for Live!) so it's a great investment. And who don't have the need for that 2nd or 3rd PC?

1/2pint

• Archived User
Xbox Link Cable...?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 09:53:00 AM »

Yer, thanks, I got me a 10/100 NIC this afternoon.

Shaocaholica

• Archived User
Xbox Link Cable...?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (leigao84 @ Apr 21 2003, 09:53 AM)
Think man, that router might come in handy for Live or future options too. I don't want to turn my computer on everytime I wanna play live. And routers are like $60-70 out there (get one that work for Live!) so it's a great investment. And who don't have the need for that 2nd or 3rd PC?

He wanted to connect his xbox to his PC.  He didn't even have a NIC.  Why should he go out and buy a router and more cables when he doesn't even have the basics.