xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tsop Flashed Instead Of Mod Chip?  (Read 29 times)

i64X

• Archived User
Tsop Flashed Instead Of Mod Chip?
« on: April 05, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

I found a tutorial online on installing Avalaunch that walked me through modifying a X 2 4977 BIOS to launch avalaunch.xbe, then evox.xbe, then dashboard.xbe in that order so I could use Avalaunch via it's own XBE without having to rename it to dashboard.xbe and renaming the stock dashboard.xbe to msdashboard.xbe (hence causing MS dashboard to not boot up when the mod chip is disabled).

I downloaded the X2 bios and followed the instructions and craeted a 1MB bios image (that's what the tutorial said to do... now I'm thinking it either had to be a 512K image - 2 512K banks on my Xecutor chip, or a 256K image because of my XBOX's TSOP size... I'll explain...). I figured if it flashed over the whole Xecuter chip (2.3b lite) I wouldn't care as long as it worked because I never switch banks anyway. I created my 1MB bios image and put it on my XBOX's C drive (I'd had the XBOX working with EvoX for a year or so now without any problems), and followed the instructions from the tutorial to add a flash option to EVOX. I put this under the [BIOS] section in my EVOX.ini file:

Flash      = 0x01d5,"XECUTER2",0x100000

And put this under the [Menu] section:

Item "Flash EVOX BIOS","c:\bios\bios.bin",ID_Flash_Bios_File

I rebooted the XBOX and launched the command to flash the EVOX bios. When it was erasing it identified the BIOS as "AMD" something. I didn't want to turn the power off in the middle of an erase (obviously) but got kinda scared kinda quick. It erased the BIOS and then wrote the new one and powered off like it should. Now when I reboot I the unit turns on, then off, then on, then off again, and then turns on and the power light just blinks red and green.

I think it may have flashed the TSOP with that image instead of the mod chip like I thought it would. In this case, is there any way to fix it? I've been looking but the "3 wire" thing I've found looks like it's only for v 1.0 and 1.1 XBOXes. <

i64X

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »

Little update - If I pull the mod chip out the system starts up and gets to the XBOX screen before giving me an error 16 (dashboard.xbe on the C drive isn't MS' dash and I have a 120GB drive in the box). This leads me to believe it's just the Xecutor chip and not the TSOP, right?

The reason why I thought it was a bad TSOP was because a search for the symptoms I was experiencing with the lights blinking at startup and the black screen returned results for a bad TSOP. <

DuckOfDeath

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »

No, you didn't flash your TSOP.  If you turn the chip off, you'll boot right up.

EDIT:  I see you figured that out on your own....  Good.  It seems that your xcuter chip didn't like your bios.  You'll have to use a programmer or hotswap it out in another box.

-Duck!

This post has been edited by DuckOfDeath: Apr 6 2005, 02:33 AM <

i64X

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »

Thanks. I just ordered a parallel port programmer for it. I'm not sweating bullets anymore... I thought I'd have to go out and buy a new XBOX and a chip that'd work with it. That's what I get for trying to do this stuff after not having done it for 2 years. :) There have been some changes since then. <

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »

Yeah, you cant flash your onboard tsop by doing what you've stated.

Caster. <

ModdingManiac

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 07:36:00 PM »

In order for you to have flashed the TSOP you had to have bridged a couple of point on the motherboard to allow you to erase and write to the TSOP.  All you did was a bad flash (switches weren't set right or Bios made wrong).  SInce you were renaming files you probably renamed the MS Dash file causing the erro 16 to appear. <