xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Joost  (Read 124 times)

9nine9

• Archived User
Joost
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »

Has any one looked at getting Joost to work as a script.  I don't know anything about writing scripts but this program looks like it would be the best script ever writen if it could be done.   http://www.joost.com/

This post has been edited by 9nine9: Apr 9 2007, 09:15 PM

timdog82001

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »

wow...thats pretty sweet actually.  Anybody care to send me an invite? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Heet

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:03:00 AM »

Ya and its by the same guys behind skype and I forget what else.  This would be THE script of all scripts.

rodol

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »

JOOST is really cool, and I think we can do something like that in the Xbox. I've been beta testing it for a while now and I really like the approach.

JOOST is a XUL application on top of a P2P core. We would use XBMC for the UI which, imho, would be way better than XUL (always talking about TV world).

About the P2P core, I'd implement it as a native module, rather than scripting, for performance, stability and memory reasons: It's crucial for this module to be rock-solid and consume as less resources as possible.

This module should be something like a "Generic Transfers Core Module", that would take care of all user requests, be it a P2P, be it a RSS, be it a normal URL. That module would run in the background, and expose a couple Python methods to add a download, remove, etc etc.

Any other thoughts?

This post has been edited by rodol: Apr 10 2007, 11:49 AM

akaigotchi

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(rodol @ Apr 10 2007, 12:18 PM) View Post

JOOST is really cool, and I think we can do something like that in the Xbox. I've been beta testing it for a while now and I really like the approach.

JOOST is a XUL application on top of a P2P core. We would use XBMC for the UI which, imho, would be way better than XUL (always talking about TV world).

About the P2P core, I'd implement it as a native module, rather than scripting, for performance, stability and memory reasons: It's crucial for this module to be rock-solid and consume as less resources as possible.

This module should be something like a "Generic Transfers Core Module", that would take care of all user requests, be it a P2P, be it a RSS, be it a normal URL. That module would run in the background, and expose a couple Python methods to add a download, remove, etc etc.

Any other thoughts?

IMHO having JOOST should be a KISS (Keep it stupid and simple) approach: As far as I have understood what the webpage is saying JOOST will be providing some sort of API/SDK which would allow users to have their own methods attached to JOOST core. Thus it should be simple doing the same sort of thing with JOOST as with TVUPlayer (which is kinda similar as far as P2P is concerned): Having the PC handle the playback of the P2P video and stream it to the XBOX, so that a script/.strm file could grab that signal and play it back. This should be step 1 of the project, if any at all, because writing a P2P client for XBMC could take some time, while this could be done by an experienced programmer in less than 3 weeks.

Taking it a step further from there and creating a P2P client/Generic Transfer Core Module should be done afterwards, if at all, because there's much more time to invest in that and more manpower is definitely needed.

Forgive me, if I am not absolutely correct about the API/SDK part of JOOST, but all the information I got is from the webpage which is somehow spongy... just more like a cool advert. If anybody would invite me to the service I could look into it and be more precise about the foregoing of having JOOST on XBMC/XBOX. I even would devote some time and help doing what I suggested above smile.gif So if you feel like inviting me is a good thing, let me know.

Cheers
akaigotchi

rodol

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »

hey man,

Unfortunately at the moment I can't invite you to the JOOST beta testing program. Looks like they have deactivated the "share with a friend" option, or maybe I have not enough privileges to do it (maybe its based on contributions and I've been quite lazy on that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If i'm given the option to share I'll be glad to do it.

About implementing it on a XBOX, my original post was focused towards creating a "similar" thing on the XBOX, but way more generic, not a JOOST-only client, although it can be good too.

I agree with you in that a quick proof of concept may be using a PC to proxy the transfers and stream the videos, but i'm quite excited about the full project; I have the vision of that module centralizing all XBMC network interactions, and providing services to the tons of Python scripts out there. Cause at the end, all the scripts do more or less the same (getting titles, making the user select, then feed the Media Player). Wouldnt it be cool if that module provides a rock-solid solution to abstract all this?

akaigotchi

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(rodol @ Apr 10 2007, 04:34 PM) View Post

hey man,

Unfortunately at the moment I can't invite you to the JOOST beta testing program. Looks like they have deactivated the "share with a friend" option, or maybe I have not enough privileges to do it (maybe its based on contributions and I've been quite lazy on that smile.gif If i'm given the option to share I'll be glad to do it.

About implementing it on a XBOX, my original post was focused towards creating a "similar" thing on the XBOX, but way more generic, not a JOOST-only client, although it can be good too.

I agree with you in that a quick proof of concept may be using a PC to proxy the transfers and stream the videos, but i'm quite excited about the full project; I have the vision of that module centralizing all XBMC network interactions, and providing services to the tons of Python scripts out there. Cause at the end, all the scripts do more or less the same (getting titles, making the user select, then feed the Media Player). Wouldnt it be cool if that module provides a rock-solid solution to abstract all this?

Not meant to put you off but: I am not sure on how far the networking capabilites of the XBOX allow p2p from within XDK. Does anyobdy have an answer to that?

If I get you right this could aswell mean building something atop of XBMC or something completely independent from XBMC.... smile.gif If you need any help here, let me know smile.gif I can certainly put my two cents in.

Cheers
akaigotchi

9nine9

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »

OK I have 3 tokens (invites left) I will be willing to send them to the people who are going to actually do something with them as far as getting this to work. And  they promis to keep me updated as to if they get this working in XBMC or as its own program.

PM me.

akaigotchi

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(9nine9 @ Apr 13 2007, 09:04 PM) View Post

OK I have 3 tokens (invites left) I will be willing to send them to the people who are going to actually do something with them as far as getting this to work. And  they promis to keep me updated as to if they get this working in XBMC or as its own program.

PM me.

I'd certainly be interested and certainly be willing (hopefully capable) to do something with it, but: Does it make any sense right now? As far as I have understood joost.com the API/SDK/whatever is not out yet, so there will actually be no interface to connect to... So I'd like to ask, if there's actually something that one can build up upon? If there is, I'd be happy to receive one of the tokens....

Cheers
akaigotchi

9nine9

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »

Hey guys don't know if this would help but http://digg.com/appl...run_on_Apple_TV shows they got Joost running on Apple TV.

Also http://www.joostteam...un-on-apple-tv/  they seem to really be into Joost. Hope this my shed some light. or

9nine9

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »

Here is one more link to the Apple TV running joost. http://www.tuaw.com/...e-tv-follow-up/

trond.strom

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »

for what it is woorth the joost client sucks about half my centrino 2.13Ghz processor and about 100Mb of ram. So the xbmc client would have to be far more efficient to pull this off

akaigotchi

• Archived User
Joost
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(trond.strom @ Apr 21 2007, 07:27 PM) View Post

for what it is woorth the joost client sucks about half my centrino 2.13Ghz processor and about 100Mb of ram. So the xbmc client would have to be far more efficient to pull this off

Hi trond.strom,

same here smile.gif Have a latest M440 Centrino with 1,86 GHz and 1,5 Gb RAM but it still uses around 15-20% CPU time. Looks like we should have a streaming solution, that picks up the stream from a PC, similar to TVUPlayer... Still wasn't very successful with my research, as I couldn't get hold of the promised JOOST API. Hopefully this is going to be released pretty soon, as it would simplify work alot...Will keep you all updated smile.gif

Cheers
akaigotchi