xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Having A Tough Time Setting Up Xbmc  (Read 39 times)

Kevin G.

• Archived User
Having A Tough Time Setting Up Xbmc
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »

New to the forums not so new to XBMC, I have been running, streaming and using xbmc on my pc for a while now, finally got around to using it as my frontend in my theater running my first softmodded box.
I am familiar with PM3 and Aeon, I have been running Aeon, I like how slick it is..setting up the directories can be tedious, but they are nice when done...I should preface by saying that I can FTP in to my xbox...no problem...it is seen on the network fine... Last night i was setting everything up and I can't see the files on my PC that I want to grab..what am I looking for in XBMC that will tell it where to look on the network? For some reason, all I can see for my directories are the drives on the xbox themselves...there HAS to be a trigger somewhere, I just can't find it...Thanks everyone

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:08:00 AM »

White button => Add source.

You can then browse for the source location. While doing so, you should see an option in the list for network-type sources.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 05:57:00 AM »

Slideshows? You mean via screensaver mode? You just go into Pictures, setup the sources there, then they should be available when configuring the screensaver...

Haven't messed with Media Portal/Navi-X/backgrounds, sorry.

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »

OK, couple of things.  i know how annoying the questions are, but I promise I'm not asking them purely to annoy.

What version of XBMC are you running, and was it a fresh install?
Do the DVD issues happen everytime?  Does the drive work from any other dashboard?
what sort of network setup do you have?

Sorry, but hopefully we'll get something working for you.

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kevin G. @ Oct 6 2009, 01:18 AM) View Post

XBMC is the latest build, straight from T3CH's site...ftp'd over..I have run every Navi-x update in the system...hardwired into a 10/100 switch...I have not as of yet set the xbox in the DMZ, as I am not gaming on it, other than through the network to my unmodded original....

I installed Navi-X last night to test.  Unfortunately (well, not for me) it worked first time with no errors.  I'm on a hardwired network through 2 routers with no DMZ, so I don't think that's your problem.

DVD issues are sporadic at best, lock/freeze from EVO-X AND xbmc

That's not good news.  As always, no expert, but it suggests a failing drive to me.  Are there any further specifics on it?  Does it work for CDs, but not XBox games, or only work occasionally for all media?

Music will also lock up the system, most of my stuff is in WMA lossless via MP 11...
Just now, as I type this, I am messing around with the scripts and setting, and I have re-started 3 times

I really don't know what to suggest tbh mate.  I don't know why so many lockups.  The only suggestions I can give is a completely fresh install in an alternate folder, but I know how crap a suggestion it is so i apologise for not having better.

Kevin G.

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:21:00 AM »

I installed Navi-X last night to test. Unfortunately (well, not for me) it worked first time with no errors. I'm on a hardwired network through 2 routers with no DMZ, so I don't think that's your problem.

Which XBMC skin are you running?

That's not good news. As always, no expert, but it suggests a failing drive to me. Are there any further specifics on it? Does it work for CDs, but not XBox games, or only work occasionally for all media?

Well, that certainly crossed my mind, CD's play fine...Games read and play in good order...I wouldn't think that a DVD would be any more difficult...I DID have the DVD dongle in which seemed to be doing something it didn't like..., but even after I took it out, I had hangs and artifacting...

The only suggestions I can give is a completely fresh install in an alternate folder, but I know how crap a suggestion it is so i apologise for not having better.

Funny you should mention that...I dumped all the former build, and started from scratch...re-downloaded from T3CH, and DID NOT install AEON...I have a much more stable build...using PMIII, watched about 45 minutes of Star Trek streamed over Navi-X...It did drop, after that, but no hangs, and I was able to get back in, and re-start. ( I have had it on my projector for a few days after I felt it was stable, and have now moved it back to a 27" CRT to do the work...), I will switch to PMIII HD when I go back to my projector...I am VERY disappointed in this to say the least, I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE the AEON format and the beautiful transitions, it will be a shame if I have to go to PMIII..Custom backgrounds do not seem to be available accross the Network...apparrently the pics you want need to be stored locally? Right now, I am using the controller for all menus, does anybody have a remote solution? I really don't want an extension cord strung accross my Theater...
Another Q for anybody out there using Navi-X...there is an option to watch Batman TAS episode by episode...The description says to "make sure you subscribe"...how do I subscribe?

Thanks for all the assistance, sometimes I think I develop a block