xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmps - Slow Before Start?  (Read 292 times)

a.d.b.

• Archived User
Xbmps - Slow Before Start?
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »

Hi there!

In an effort to minimize data-transfer, I installed the xbmsp protocol (via the ccXstream server). The server is up and running (from behind a firewall, with the default 1400 port opened in the firewall).
The server is located at i 25/15 Mbit connection, while I have got a 20/1 Mbit connection here. Via normal FTP-ing, I get ~1500 kb/s.

When, however, I try to connect my xbox via the xbmsp protocol, the following happens:
1. The xbox starts (at least it says so) to search for subtitles (presumably inside .rar in /subs folder. It appears to be doing so even if i turn the option to search for subs inside .rar OFF.)
2. The xbox seems to be doing this for at least a couple of minutes (every time).
3. Then the xbox says it is caching the subs
4. After approx. 3,5 - 4 minutes, the xvid (350meg tvshow, or  ~700 meg movie, inside uncompressed rar-archives) starts to play.

My question:

Why does it take such a long time to start the video? I know for a fact that my connection to the server is fast (~1500kb/s), when using my computer, I can start to watch the film/tvshow imediately after starting the download (using VLC + VLCRAAR, when the first part of the archive is finished).

Are there any settings in XBMC that would make the playback start faster? Any ports to open in my router (xbox-side)? Any protocol that seems to work faster? Anyone having better luck than me?

Thanks,

Audun