xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Vista Smb Share Work Around  (Read 52 times)

uthaside12902

• Archived User
Windows Vista Smb Share Work Around
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »

Hello,

i don't know if anyone else has posted about this, but i was playing around with my security settings and found a way to allow XBMC to access shares on Windows Vista.

Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Secutity Policy

Navigate to Local Policies and then to Security Options

Changes the Network Access and Network Security settings to match that of those in the following screen shot

Screen Shot

(IMG:http://www.inuhokagebaka.com/images/lsp.jpg)

Big 9

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »

Has anyone else tested these settings? When I changed the stuff indicated, it allowed me to see my smb shares in vista, but some folders still require the username and password, some files (such as .avi) appear as folders, and when selected give a "NT_STATUS_NOT_A_DIRECTORY" error, and the files that do play (again such as .avi) only play for about 5 seconds before stopping. Am I missing something?

elupus

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

then you probably only have invalid file permissions on those files.

shiver_st

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »

Hi.
Your guide worked, but I'm having the same problem as Big9 above me.
Did you find a solution?

modusoperandi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »

Also try adding the name of your share to "Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously" It continued to ask for a username/pass until I did that.

zingarosvg

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

I've tried just about everything recommended and still cant see my VISTA shares from XBMC.  Under security settings I set the following:

Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation: Change to Enable
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts - Change to Disabled
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares - Change to Disabled
Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users - Change to Enable
Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares - Change to Disabled
Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously - I added my root share name here
Network access: LAN Manager authentication level - Change to LM & NTLM, send NTLMv2 if negotiated

No dice.  Just for kicks, I tested accessing the VISTA shares from an XP laptop, no prob.  I also tried accessing shares on my XP laptop from XBMC, no problem.  Any ideas??????   My kid really misses all his cartoons!

Rather than going back to XP, I think I'm going to set up an XP Virtual PC on my vista box and share from there.   GRRRRRrr..

killzer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »

Hey, I found a great workaround for this and every other problem with Vista...

It's called Linux. tongue.gif

l0tics

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »

I don't even know how to get to that screen.

xLeroyx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

I just created a XBMC account on vista and used that username and password.  let's me right in.  you can also save the default UN and PW.

I'm a bit of a newb but im pretty sure this worked for me.

Magimog

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »

I technically did the exact same thing as xLeroyx above, but I already had an account used for sharing files between my pc and my linux laptop. No problems whatsoever, except for in Linux, but thats a different story tongue.gif

zingarosvg

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »

OK, fixed my problems, actually had two work arounds:

1.  I installed CCXgui available here:  

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=97904

I shared my directories with the GUI and modded my XBMC shares to point to XBMS shares.  Worked like a charm.

2.  Got my SMB working agian (DUH) by upgrading from Xbmc-2.0.1-Final-Fat-t3Ch to XBMC-SVN_2007-05-27_rev9113-T3CH.   Did a browse SMB and everything is back!!!!!!  Woo Hoo!@

Now the debate is over using XBMS or SMB.  I think I will keep streaming the video using XBMS, but manage videos using SMB in my files.

Either way, you still need to change the ntlmv2 file sharing option, and create an account (or enable the guest account) for XBMC to access the files.

Digiman75

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »

There is a much easier way. All you need to do is create an account on vista (control panel\user account). When you create the account remember the username & password and use that as your default in xbmc under network settings. Then you should get access to all the shared drives and folders on the vista computer.