xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Setting Up Smb On Win Xp Home For Xbmc  (Read 78 times)

vincatzero

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb On Win Xp Home For Xbmc
« on: January 06, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

theonly_bandever_

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »

Well, I tried that, however, unfortunately, it dosent work. I cant do it the secure way because I am not using XP Pro, and for the easy way, it keeps asking for a user name and password.

Any suggestions?

theonly_bandever_

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

Anyone?

theonly_bandever_

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

Sorry I have to do this, but...

Bump.

This problem is just killing me

Thanks again,

A.J.

scott85213

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 12:56:00 AM »

I don't know if this was covered in the link he gave you, but all I did was right click - sharing and security, and shared whatever folder I wanted and my xmbc picked it up without a problem.

Kick In Da Door

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »

Did u turn off "XP firewall"
& when setting up xbmc to log into PC shares make sure address looks similar to this

smb://xbox:[email protected]/shared files

Xbox:xbox = username:password

192.168.2.1 = Pc network IP

shared files = the folder The pc is sharing

In Xp, the folders uw ant to share right click them and then click sharing and security , make sure they are checked to let users able to look and change files.

ventline

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(theonly_bandever_ @ Jan 6 2006, 09:18 PM) View Post

Well, I tried that, however, unfortunately, it dosent work. I cant do it the secure way because I am not using XP Pro, and for the easy way, it keeps asking for a user name and password.

Any suggestions?

I had that problem also. And it was some network settings. I have my xbmc and pc set to static ip for starters.
For windows just right click on the folder you want to share. click sharing and security, check the Share this folder on the network box, fill in the share name. Then for the smb path it should look like this if your pc IP is 192.168.1.6 and the folder you wish to share has the share name of Videos your smb share path would be smb://192.168.1.6/Videos/
ok now if you dont want everyone to see your shared folders in XP home add a $ to the end of the share name  this will make it hidden. so your share name in windows would be Videos$ and the smb path would be smb://192.168.1.6/Videos$/
hope this helps

Jbasto

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

Same Here still cant get it to work at all  huh.gif

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »

i had the same issues, so i got rid of the guest account.. i think it has to do with the guest account not having the proper permissions. i suppose you could dig around and set all the permissions if you wanted to, but why go thru the hassle? easiest solution for me was to give the xbox it's own user account on my pc.

go into control panel and select user accounts. next click on create new account. when prompted, name the account xbox. the next screen should be where you assign either administrator or limited status, choose administrator. after you hit create account, it should take you back to the main account selection screen. from there, click on the xbox account. from there, click on create a password. for the password, use xbox. once that is done, go ahead and close out your control panel.

now you want to make sure the folders you want shared are set up to do so.. in my case, i just shared entire hard drives.. go to my computer, and right click on the drive/folder you want to share. under the sharing tag, make sure sharing is enabled. you might want to write down the share name given, with a note saying what's in the particular drive/folder. after doing this with every drive/folder you should have a list like so:

h$ ... movies
i$ .... music
g$ ... dvd-rom of pc

next you want to open up your xboxmediacenter.xml file and create your smb bookmarks. this is pretty straight forward..

smb://(username):(password)@(computer's ip)/(share name)/

here's an example of mine, under the video tag..
CODE

movies on the pc
    smb://xbox:[email protected]/h$/

pc dvd-rom
    smb://xbox:[email protected]/g$/

the dvd-rom thing isn't neccessary, but i actually like it a lot.. saves the wear and tear on the xbox dvd-rom, and we all know how fickle those stupid things can be. also removes any media issues your box might have. for example, my old phillips doesn't like cd-r's so i can't read any burned mp3 discs.. take the same disc and pop it the pc drive, and i can now listen to it on the xbox thru the smb share. kinda handy..

anyways, i hope that helps out some.. beerchug.gif