xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Who Uses Xbmc As Their Main Dashboad?  (Read 1554 times)

ken52787

• Archived User
Who Uses Xbmc As Their Main Dashboad?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 08:59:00 AM »

I use to have Avalaunch as my main dash, but I soon switched after noticing that I started up XBMC almost everytime anyways. I've been happy ever since.

Has anyone else just stopped using their xbox for xbox games altogether? Ever now and then, I fire up an ol' emulator, but I haven't played an actual xbox game for atleast two months.

This post has been edited by ken52787: Aug 9 2005, 03:59 PM

j_guzzler

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 09:08:00 AM »

Yep, way too busy right now to actually play xbox games, i keep getting the new ones, but never play them, its all movies/music for my xbox....and XBMC is the main dash as it has been since day 1 (well maybe less an hour, since it came with evox as the dash).

killerbootsman

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(ken52787 @ Aug 9 2005, 09:10 AM)
I use to have Avalaunch as my main dash, but I soon switched after noticing that I started up XBMC almost everytime anyways. I've been happy ever since.

Has anyone else just stopped using their xbox for xbox games altogether? Ever now and then, I fire up an ol' emulator, but I haven't played an actual xbox game for atleast two months.

I'm totally the opposite. I couldnt care less about my dashboard really, because i go straight to the games menu.

Lazybones

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »

If XBMC had video previews for games I might use it as my dash, but UnleashX just seems to be better for application selection and fast file transfers. I also like the general layout of most UleashX skins over other similar dashes such is Avalaunch.

Evo is a image with a list in front of it, if it wasn't the default dash of so many installer, and didn't have the soft reset  feature that seem to lock so many users into using it (because they don't understand how to fix it), I don't think it would be popular at all.

madsci1016

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »

i had evox and found myself just going to xbmc to play video half the time, so i changed to xbmc and saved myself time. going to donate as soon as i get more money.

RocafellaSqualie

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(JayDee @ Aug 9 2005, 08:33 AM)
I do hope you are joking.... :o

lol I know what you're probably thinking JayDee... I use Avalaunch's available builds of XBMC... nooo I compile my own builds  ;)

I use avalaunch for it's fast FTP transferring. But since someone menotioned using DVD2Xbox to update XBMC, I might give that a try.

EDIT: Just checked and Avalaunch still has May 2 up for download  :blink:

This post has been edited by RocafellaSqualie: Aug 10 2005, 04:34 AM

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2005, 02:17:00 AM »

wink.gif

kimgitz

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2005, 02:46:00 AM »

I have to say that xbmc has come a long way and proved itself as the best dashboard cum media center there is.
Used Unlesh mainly for game saves and the text edit function. Both of which are available as scripts on xbmc.
Use EvoX mainly for the trainers am still to see what xbmc will do about this, there is a great app coming out real soon from what I gather from exored and team executer.
Xbmc works well with my remote and lcd.
In terms of functionality,well
Kai
Games launcher
Emulator launcher
App launcher
Pictures
Movies
Music
Streams
Weather
Internet and Email
RSS feeds
File Managers
FTP Server
Great Scripts
Great skins
Eject
system info
frequent updates...means u dont suffer with a problem/bug for long
great support for high-def screens

Simply the best !

This post has been edited by kimgitz: Aug 10 2005, 09:52 AM

R1CK13

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

wink.gif)

Xandalus

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »

Evox was my first dash, but then as soon as I put a power button on my communicator adapter and nolonger needed evox for igr, I switched to media centre.

Now the only other dash I touch is avalaunch for boost transfers between the xboxes at my house.  XBMC is my multimedia centre, and alarm clock too!

oswald

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »

evox was everyones first dash, it was out a long time before the other dashes really, and was used in all the early installers as jaydee said.  thats really the only thing it should be though, even the things it does well, other dashes do way better now.

mxm was the king for awhile as far as I'm concerned, it was a sweet dash with a very nice community behind it, and a very dedicated single developer.  but sadly, the inherent fault in one dev is a no fault tolerance, and as development waned, mxm faded into obscurity. this wasn't helped by the fact that as it slowly lost momentum, unleashx came out of nowhere.  

unleashx grabbed the best of all the dashes (quick menus, video backgrounds and icons, gamesave downloads, avalaunch boost mode, xml customization, mp3 playing) and served as my main dash for most of all of my xboxes lives.

but, as I began to play with media more, and I had more places to watch it, and once I started recording with Windows MCE, it made no sense to use anything but XBMC.

Theres a few things I miss about unleashx enough to keep it around as an app forever, but no other app, dashboard or otherwise, can compare to the sheer breadth of features  XBMC has.  

Other dashes and ms dashboard replacements will come and go, but unless they offer something very radically new, for me there will be no reason to run anything other than an XBMC dash from now on.  But if you're in this forum, you can more than likely assume that will be the eventual case for everyone.

So yeah, short version, XBMC.

webMASTER P

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »

i see pretty much no reason to use any other dash besides XMBC. Everything is there at my fingertips.
i'll boot inot avalaunch everyone in a while to tranfer and ISO wuth QWIX, makes it fast and simple, and to do a clean install of XMBC.

Zanzang

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

I use XBMC as my main dash for my media (I have every free episode Rooster Teeth Productions has ever made), and for Xlink Kai.

I use UnleashX as an app for its amazingly easy and fast File manager, and for my cool fight club skin.

I use evox for trainers, and (as of today) flashing new bioses.

I love my current configuration in a very non compusexual way.

kimgitz

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 03:49:00 AM »

muhaha.gif

i once had one bios bank to load xbmc and one linux and one unleashX thats how confused i was loved them all. jester.gif

rramoutar

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »

Most times when I am not playing a game I am using XBMC. However I cannot see XBMC being my primary dash. I tend to update XBMC quite often...and sometimes the builds just do not work out well. If XBMC were my dash it could make it a big difficult to get my XBOX booted again...would have to dust off my  AID CD. I use EvoX...it ain't fancy...but it does...it does well and reliably. If Chokemaniac would make a project mayhem III skin for it...that would just complete my themed XBOX (I tried...but I am not very talented  ;) ), since Jezz made thet lovely skin for DVD2XBOX.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19