xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Public Ip Address....  (Read 69 times)

agentorange83

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« on: August 03, 2004, 06:40:00 AM »

hmm, the xbox itself does not have a public ip per se

the public ip i guess is the public IP address on your router assigned to you by your ISP (either static or dynamic)

I THINK if you set up port forwarding on your router so that FTP is forwarded to your xbox's internal IP, then that should work.

I think.

Emilio

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 06:52:00 AM »

that's correct you have to make an port stranslation on your router.

that everyting that try's te conenct on the public site of your router to port 21 has to be gforwarded to your inter ipadres of your xbox.

And you have to open port 21 on your firewall

nimbles

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 06:53:00 AM »

yup as agentorange83 says you only have 1 public ip address- unless you are paying for two separate broadband connections to your pc and xbox.

if you are using a router then you should be able to find the public ip in the router status page- usually accessed via the typing in the ip of the router (something like 192.168.x.1 x varies depending on the brand of router- x will be same as every other devic eont he network so if your xbox ip is 192.168.2.3 then x=2)

alternatively get your public ip from here

as for port forwarding (if you are using a router) then you will have to do that in the router set up page usually under portforwarding but different brands call it different things- forward any port (i wouldn't use 21 personally as thats the default- but bare the port used in mind) to the port 21 of your xbox ip (e.g. if xbox ip is 192.168.2.3- then 192.168.2.3:21)- unless you can change the ftp port setting in filezilla.xml, something i'm not sure of- JayDee will know though smile.gif

dbxz

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »

im a total newb at networking and i just want my xbox to be able to conect to the internet but i dont know how sad.gif i dont want it just conected to my pc... i dont have a router just a hub. do i need one?

nimbles

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »

No- if you have a hub then i think you can set up a home lan using internet connection sharing- not actually familiar with ICS with hub so probably best to use read the ICS link JayDee has put in the Useful Threads and Topics Sticky at the top of this forum

Does one pc already have 2 network cards?

If ICS is already set up and you are using a static ip for your xbox to connect for ftp purposes

then try the following:

<ipadres>xboxip</ipadres>
  <netmask>255.255.255.0</netmask>
  <defaultgateway>192.168.0.1</defaultgateway>
  <nameserver>192.168.0.1</nameserver>

dbxz

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »

no but i have an extra one.. since i have 2 pc's

nimbles

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 07:50:00 AM »

how is your home network set up and how big is the hub:

e.g.

Intenet
  l
Hub------>PC
l
-------->PC
l
-------->XBOX

dbxz

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »

its like this

Internet >
Hub > Main PC
      > Client PC
      > Xbox

same as ur drawing.. it has 4 slots

<ipadres>xboxip</ipadres>
  <netmask>255.255.255.0</netmask>
  <defaultgateway>192.168.0.1</defaultgateway>
  <nameserver>192.168.0.1</nameserver>

im not understanding it sorry.. i dont know what a dhcp is..

nimbles

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 08:08:00 AM »

Hmmm.... i'm surprised you get intenet access that way this is what i got from a quick search in google:

Q. Can an Ethernet  hub (or switch) replace a router for a small network using the Internet?

A.  Qualified no—mostly no.  You could use a hub or switch  to connect PCs to a cable or DSL MODEM if you want to pay your service provider a monthly fee for an IP address for each PC on the Local Area Network (LAN).

The way i would have it (though this would require the main pc to be on all whenever any device wanted to access the net)

Internet
>PC with two network cards and Internet Connection Sharing enabled
>Hub
>Client PC
>Xbox

in this case once Internet connection sharing is enabled (Check the JayDee's Stickies at the top of this board) then edit the the network bits of the xboxmediacenter.xml to look like this:

CODE
 xboxip

xboxip being the actual ipaddress of the xbox- that should work

dbxz

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 08:13:00 AM »

ur way would cost me 50 bux more for an extra card which i dont really wanna get...

there must be a way.. if my client pc can access the net from the way the network is set up the xbox should be able to access it aswell..

nimbles

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 08:18:00 AM »

well then either you are paying for two ipaddresses or you are actually using a router.

a hub cannot do the ip allocation for a network- and another network card can be had for about $10/£10- a router would cost $50

are you sure you haven't got a set up like figure 2 on here?

dbxz

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »

no its not like that.. i'll check how my client pc conects to the internet later... maybe i do have 2 ip adresses (i dont pay for 2 though)

im sure i have a hub not a router.. (it says HUB on it)

my network is set up like this image... just imagine the gamecube as another pc:

http://www.warppipe....ted/switch.html

nimbles

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »

ok having read more on that link you posted-

I guess your isp is allowing you more than one ip per account- so assuming they will allow 1 more register the mac address of your xbox with them and get them to tell you the ip and if it changes dynamically or not (this method is gonna be fairly insecure as the xbox has no firewall builtin so people could ftp into your xbox and cause all sorts of mayhem)

set the ip they give you in the xboxmediacenter.xml

get the subnetmask, defaultegateway and name server from either of your pc's

start-> run, type "cmd", hit enter

then in the cmd box type "ipconfig/all"

enter the values into the xboxmediacenter.xml and see if it now works

dbxz

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »

wow looks like i do have 2 ip adresses.. both ip adresses are in normal form.. they both have different ips, subnet masks, and gateways...

thank you.. i'll try that out later! but lol damn looks like i need to get a hardware firewall or somthing

nimbles

• Archived User
Public Ip Address....
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »

ok i was afraid of that sorry i re-edited the above post having read more on the topic- you will need to speak to the isp and register the xbox's mac address with them (should be in the system info section of the settings)

the problem is no apps on the xbox can release and renew connections like you can with the pc- hence why you have to enter the values manually.

This is about where i get stumped.

Just a quick question can you share files over the network with this current setup
Pages: [1] 2