xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Setting Up Smb  (Read 737 times)

mr.phrodo

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »

I have followed everything to the letter in this guide and still can't seem to be able to get it to work. When it tries to connect to a folder it comes up with the following message.

NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

This is what I have put in the XboxMediaCenter.xml file

<bookmark>
<name>Other media @ Lindsay</name>
<path>smb://Home;Xbox:xbox@Lindsay/Media/</path>
</bookmark>

shamelessbill

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »

try it this way
<path>smb://your ip address /Media/</path>
Just put in the IP address of the machine wshared files.
Or just the IP address and all shared will show up.
SB

Excal

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

Using XP Pro here. I have done everything in here that you guys have said. At first nothing would even happen with SMB. but now after more playing around when I try to access movies or music it pauses for a bit then says Access Denied. Have I set up everything right and it just can't talk to XP or what? I have tried all the info from posts here, login and password, no login and pass, just i.p., all of it any help would be great!

saiyan23

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 07:23:00 PM »

Hey guys, I'm a newb at this but, I'm stuck on Step 1:

Step 1. Create users XBOX with password XBOX (u can use a normal user , i just had problems with no password)

Where do I go to do that? I think I can pick it up from there. Thanks.

luciverse

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »

I am having a problem with SMB and DHCP.

First off all, my network connection is: MODEM--> Hub ->>Xbox/PC,  it will stay that way till i get another NIC (lazyness).

When I setup XBMC with a normal IP, I can access SMB, although the connection times out after 5 or so mins and I have to restart the xbox (not good for watching movies).  When using the normal IP, I can not access IMDB/Weather/MMS streams.

I put my IP to DHCP, I can no longer access SMB, but i can access IMDB/Weather/MMS Streams.

For the working SMB, i used SMB://xbox:xbox@ip/share, with dhcp i tried that and my PC's name.

Can anyone can help me setup SMB with DHCP?

smb://mshome;xbox:xbox@ip/share
smb://mshome;xbox:xbox@PC NAME/share
smb://xbox:xbox@ip/share
smb://xbox:xbox@PC NAME/share
smb://ip/share
smb://PC NAME/share

DO NOT WORK, remeber I have one NIC.  sad.gif

YnfinitY

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2004, 12:53:00 AM »

Hi,

Do you have a DHCP server??
If your XBox uses DHCP your PC should use DHCP too.

Alex

This post has been edited by YnfinitY: Mar 15 2004, 08:55 AM

luciverse

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »

DHCP is enabled in advanced settings of my LAN connection.  Also, the DHCP service is running in XP admin tools services.

Do I need to configure it somehow?

YnfinitY

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »

hmm, no you dont have to configure it.
Its not normal that you loose connection after 5 minutes
if you set ip manually. You should fix that problem.
ahhh, you dont speak german??
My english is too bad to explain it, sorry!! sad.gif

luciverse

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

Sorry, I do not speak german, your English is better than a lot of native English speakers. tongue.gif

Well I didnt really set it manually, I booted the xbox to evox and thats the IP that I get.    Its an IP from my network, not the 192 one.

Maybe its a buffering problem. sad.gif

luciverse

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2004, 07:58:00 PM »

OK, I installed a 2nd NIC and almost everything works.  My timeout problems are gone.  The only problem I am having is streaming XVID files, they just wont load.  MPG and DIVX work, but not XVID. uhh.gif

nick101181

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

i'm having a problem.  I disbaled the windows xp theme  and none of my screenshots matches up with yours.  also that part where you using that folder movies  and picking sharing and all that  I don't get that when i check the properties of a folder.  I'm using windows xp pro.  Can I just set up smb using  the ip of my pc  and instead of sharing directories just tell it to browse certain drives?  I keep most of my stuff on my d:\ drive  and my xbox 's ip is 192.168.0.2  and my pc is set for 192.168.0.5.   thanks

YnfinitY

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

hmm, download XBMC 09-03 and copy via ftp to your XBox!!
I am german so I can only show you "german" screenshots but I think it'll work!!
Create a new User for WinXP Name: xbox Password: xbox (only small letters)

right-click on your drive D--->sharing

user posted image

--->share this folder

user posted image

--->Multimedia as share name

user posted image

download this XboxMediaCenter.xml(right-click-->save as) and replace your existing one!! I configured the XboxMediaCenter.xml so it should work imediately!!
Hope it'll work

Alex

nick101181

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 06:09:00 AM »

thanks alex but I'm still having problems.  when I disable simple sharing then when I right click on my d driver I no longer see the option share  I see security. If I don't  uncheck simple file sharing then I right click and check the properties I doo see sharing but the part where I need to type in the info you gave me is greyed out and won't let me select or type it in there. network sharing and security is all greyed out and  it says to check it but it won't let me.  any ideas?    thanks

YnfinitY

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »

hmm?
anyone here with an "english" version of WinXP?? maybe the can help because the
structure of the menus is a bit different in comparison to the german ones!!

enginenerd

• Archived User
Setting Up Smb
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »

i just got smb set up last night (it works brilliantly, albeit excessively slow on certain video files).

it was very easy to setup using this tutorial, however, based upon my experience some of the steps are unnecessary.

all i did was edit my xml file (with just the ip address and the share name), name and share my desired folders, set the folder permissions and security.

it took some experimentation on the pc side just because i've never done this before.  Once i got the first folder set up, the others were done in 10 minutes.

it is sweet.  thanks for the tutorial.  anyone using anything other than samba is going way out of their way to have shared access.

i guess my next goal is to figure out why some (not all) video files don't seem to want to load.

EDIT:  i went back and moved the video files that would not work out of the top level share folder and into a subfolder, now they work fine.  i still don't understand the stack/unstack feature.

This post has been edited by enginenerd: Mar 18 2004, 01:10 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8