xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ultima Online On The Xbox  (Read 409 times)

kgonepostl

• Archived User
Ultima Online On The Xbox
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »

Ultima online is a very old game it has a 2d based engine.  It's the oldest mmorpg of all time and I've always wanted to emulate it using xdsl.  The requirements of the game are as follows.

Recommended System Requirement
-System: PII 350 or equivalent
-RAM: 64 MB RAM
-Hard Drive Space: 1100 MB

My brother has always wanted me to do this for him. And I am now skilled enough to do so.  If anybody could link me to a thread to that would explain how to emulate a windows environment to install and play the game that would awesome!

If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them promptly!
Thank you very much!

- kgonepostl

This post has been edited by kgonepostl: Sep 15 2006, 12:29 AM

VerbalVenom

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »

You won't be able to. You'll need to install linux, then install windows ON TOP of linux as an emulator. This means that Linux is going to have to Emulate Windows 98 using (i think) Wine. Your xbox only has 64mb, and linux alone will most likely use most, of not all of that space. You can't even run N64 emulators on the xbox without upgrading ram, so doing what you're askings going to be impossible unless you ram upgrade (even then it might not work)

Dirka

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

You can't even run N64 emulators on the xbox without upgrading ram

um thats not true. surreal64 runs perfectly and can run most n64 games without a problem.

kgonepostl

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

I have a feeling I'd do just fine. As you can see it's not a very graphically advanced game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
(IMG:http://pcmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/uor006.jpg)
I'd still like to persue this.  Even if it doesn't run great I'd like to still give it a shot for conceptual purposes.  I'd like to see my bro's face and when he /drools.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

SO! Why can't I use xdsl?  Is it because it's a linux live based distro or something?  If I can use xdsl that would be gravvy since it's not a resource whore like gentoox.

Thx ahead of time for your input guys, I can't wait to get this goin!

- kgonepostl

This post has been edited by kgonepostl: Sep 23 2006, 05:58 PM

Jonolche

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

You could possabily get this going. Don't listen to verbal. To play n64 emulators, or any other emulator you dont need to upgrade ram. The xbox gives you around 3/4 of ram available. Which although, is not alot, will do just fine for non-graphically hard games.

VerbalVenom

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 04:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jonolche @ Sep 23 2006, 02:15 PM) *

You could possabily get this going. Don't listen to verbal. To play n64 emulators, or any other emulator you dont need to upgrade ram. The xbox gives you around 3/4 of ram available. Which although, is not alot, will do just fine for non-graphically hard games.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Upgrading_Xbox_RAM_HOWTO

"WHY"

"Some users use the Xbox for a full graphical desktop environment, such as Gnome or KDE. While the Celeron 733 is more than adequate for running these, the 64MB of RAM greatly slows the system down and it spends a lot of time swapping to disk. Also, users of MAME or other emulators may experience similar problems."

I guess you can tell the XBOX LINUX PROJECT that you've told everyone on a forum not to listen to them, as they're blatant liars. MANY N64 games DO work, and MANY N64 games DON'T work

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=260140

And YES I do know what i'm talking about. "Don't listen to Verbal", but Verbals right - what he's trying to do ISN'T POSSIBLE. You just came in here to dispute the N64 claim, and didn't even bother reading the thread. Might wanna use your eyes and re read what he's trying to do with 64MB of RAM. Also to clerify, i'm not badgering the threadstarter. You can try if you want, but the game alone runs 64MB, what makes you think Linux, running WINE, running a Windows distro can hold up with that little memory.

pdidd

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »

the only windows game i got to run on xdsl with wine is a game called furcadia. its kinda boring.  but it works on there which is kinda cool. its a online game

VerbalVenom

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 08:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(pdidd @ Sep 24 2006, 08:43 PM) *

the only windows game i got to run on xdsl with wine is a game called furcadia. its kinda boring.  but it works on there which is kinda cool. its a online game

That's what he should be doing, use wine to run the game, not use wine to run windows then use windows to run the game. Even then it might not work.

kgonepostl

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(VerbalVenom @ Sep 24 2006, 09:04 PM) *

That's what he should be doing, use wine to run the game, not use wine to run windows then use windows to run the game. Even then it might not work.

That was my idea from the beggining.  It will work.  It probobly won't run well.  Maybe even horribly.  But I"m doing it for the same reason people run windows 95 on the psp.

Movax

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(VerbalVenom @ Sep 14 2006, 07:32 PM) *

...install windows ON TOP of linux as an emulator. This means that Linux is going to have to Emulate Windows 98 using (i think) Wine.

wine = wine is not an emulator

The windows .exe runs directly on the CPU, not an emulator. This gives it some hope of working.

acacha1

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(Movax @ Sep 27 2006, 10:32 AM) *

wine = wine is not an emulator

The windows .exe runs directly on the CPU, not an emulator. This gives it some hope of working.

Do you know where I can send my x-box to get the RAM upgraded?  Friendtech seems to have disapeared and I can't find anyone else to do it.  Got any places to refer me to?  I am having the problem with my N64 Roms, without the RAM most of them just don't work.