xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Think I Found A Way To Get Xp On Xbox  (Read 586 times)

torne

• Archived User
Think I Found A Way To Get Xp On Xbox
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 04:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(ptrakk @ Oct 11 2006, 08:25 PM) *

what about using a swap file? would that affect anything?

Running a guest OS using the host OS's swap is absurdly slow. Some virtualisation software doesn't allow it at all, even (for complicated MMU trickery that would otherwise take nested faults).

the guy who

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eva...on/sysreqs.mspx

it says that 64 MB Ram is supported, however it limits some features. Not only that but it also says a 300 Mhz processer is better than minimum.

Although these are the requirnments, I and maybe some other people have experienced the fact that with 512 Mb of ram and a 1.8 GHz processor it still can run slowly at certain times. So really, Windows Xp on the xbox will be very slow, unless you too around half of the features out. but then its not really windows xp, i mean those ram hungry features are why we all got windows xp right?

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(the guy who messed his xbox @ Oct 18 2006, 11:18 PM) *

it says that 64 MB Ram is supported, however it limits some features. Not only that but it also says a 300 Mhz processer is better than minimum.

You won't get 64MB ram though - the Xbox has to use some of its 64MB for the host Linux OS, and for the emulation software. In practise you can get about 32-48MB depending how much effort you use to shrink the host OS. The overhead of running emulation/virtualisation in terms of CPU usage can also be high - if you use a pure emulation package like QEMU you would be lucky to achieve 50% of the performance of the host CPU, so you'd have 150Mhz at most (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Please, try running XP on QEMU or VMWare or any other emulator/virtualiser you can get your hands on. MS's recommendations are just that, recommendations. You'd be surprised how small a space you can squeeze software into if you accept performance hits. If you find a configuration that's actually fast enough to be usable, please post here and tell us all exactly how you did it; if you include a detailed tutorial and any required configuration files..etc then I'm sure the users of this forum will give you mad props. I certainly will.

We're just saying not to hold out much hope, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Zebes

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »

here is a thoguht (don't flame if this is stupid, i'm just trying to help)

What if you add the extra 64mb of ram to the xbox, you can do this for linux to make it run smoother, wouldn't this help a lot?

you can run a full version of xp on 128mb just fine so i would think that this would be the best way to even start

jasa

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »

I am friends with the creator of tiny xp..His name is experience..i have helped wim with it...the tiny xp releases are install isos similar to original..only 2 releases would install on xbox..thats is tinyxp vista witch uses 39mb ram and tiny 2003witch uses 37mb ram..all the others need 64 mb ram to install.

BUT! There are easy ways to get it down..there is a version of xp on same forum(Not tiny xp) Its uses.....17 MB RAM!! Very stripped out and would run Perfectly.. this would run under bochs or quem so if anyone want to know were to get it pm me,

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 04:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Zebes @ Oct 19 2006, 05:35 PM) *

here is a thoguht (don't flame if this is stupid, i'm just trying to help)

What if you add the extra 64mb of ram to the xbox, you can do this for linux to make it run smoother, wouldn't this help a lot?

you can run a full version of xp on 128mb just fine so i would think that this would be the best way to even start

It's not stupid at all; that's the best way to get the Xbox to run more modern OSes under emulation. Linux requires no special configuration to take advantage of the extra 64MB and it will allow the guest OS 80+ megabytes of memory, which is enough to do quite a lot.

I'd expect running XP on QEMU on a 128mb upgraded box to work pretty well.

jasa

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »

Xp woould run perfecto on xbox if it is the samll xp i posted above...

charly_cat

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 05:31:00 AM »

The minimal requeriments of xp are 8 MHz & 20 MB RAM if u dont belive me look on this page:

http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm

but i dont know if in the xbox the ethernet/usb/video takes much ram
Pages: 1 [2]