xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Think I Found A Way To Get Xp On Xbox  (Read 585 times)

unleashdomainx

• Archived User
Think I Found A Way To Get Xp On Xbox
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »

ok there is a homemade version of xp called tinyxp wich as very low needs for systems and can run from a live cd like linux has all xp features ill see if i can find the source code if anyone wants to work it for the xbox but if i cant atleast we know we could get xp on a 733 MHz and 64mb ram computer.

browny2k4

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

hi there i thought about the same thing but i tried to load it up through linux and it never worked.

Sorry but i tried anyway

unleashdomainx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »

ok thanks for giving info

EGOvoruhk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »

TinyXP is still XP. Its closed source

unleashdomainx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

really tinyxp is a edit of winxp so umm yeah but no......

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(unleashdomainx @ Jun 15 2006, 10:07 PM) *
really tinyxp is a edit of winxp so umm yeah but no......

What? Anyways, good thought but it's not going to work.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »

I suspect the OP was possibly referring to running it the same way Win98 is being run - via an x86 emulator. In which case, a cut-down XP distribution is probably a good place to start, though you may have to cut it down further still smile.gif

There's no real technical reason why it's not possible to run XP under emulation if you throw enough stuff out of it and are content that even then it'll run slowly and poorly...

unleashdomainx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »

i think i found 1 even smaller ill try to see how big it is.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »

It's not how big it is on disk that's the problem, it's how much RAM it needs to run comfortably, which is a function of how much stuff is running at a time, not how much stuff is present in total.

m0dul4rX 2

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »

Has anyone thought of this yet? Try loading up xDSL (Xbox Damn Small Linux) and then run the WINE emulator for it? For anyone who doesn't know, WINE is a Windows emu for Linux. Linux is now on the xbox. Do some hacking and you have WinXP running on the xbox. Why can I only think of these things when I'm stoned?

-edit-

By the way, my laptop that I'm on right now has 64Mb of ram, and a 400-MHz processor. With all of the performance options set to best performance, it more/less runs smoothley. But yeah, if I were a coder, I'd definitely give DSL with WINE a go. It's like a virtual machine inside your xbox. But yeah, see how that goes.

This post has been edited by m0dul4rX 2: Jun 17 2006, 05:17 PM

unleashdomainx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

Tiny xp uses less then 64mb of ram i think it uses manly 10mb

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 04:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(m0dul4rX 2 @ Jun 17 2006, 04:46 PM) *

Has anyone thought of this yet? Try loading up xDSL (Xbox Damn Small Linux) and then run the WINE emulator for it? For anyone who doesn't know, WINE is a Windows emu for Linux. Linux is now on the xbox. Do some hacking and you have WinXP running on the xbox. Why can I only think of these things when I'm stoned?

WINE is *not* a windows emulator (its name is even an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") - it's a reimplementation of the Windows API from scratch to run under Linux. This in no way causes WinXP to run on your Linux machine. That doesn't mean it's not useful, though - plenty of Windows software (including games that rely on DirectX and so on) works under WINE. WINE works fine on the Xbox, under any linux distribution you want, though afaik it's not present in a default xDSL image. You could use another distro, or install it yourself, though.

QUOTE(unleashdomainx @ Jun 17 2006, 06:25 PM) *

Tiny xp uses less then 64mb of ram i think it uses manly 10mb

Using less than 64MB is quite plausible; if so, try it and see. 10MB is pretty much impossible; a bare minimal image built with the XP Embedded tools with no GUI, no Win32 API, and no drivers for anything other than the serial port already consumes about 6-7MB of ram while running. Adding the GUI back in, even in the most primitive form with most of Win32 nonfunctional already pushes it up over 10MB, and that level of component removal is not really possible by deleting files from XP as with tinyxp and similar - you can only really get down that far with an Embedded kit.

I'd be surprised if you managed to make an XP image capable of doing anything useful that could boot in under 24MB of ram, but I still suspect it would be possible to get it down to 40MB or so which is just about small enough to run under emulation on the Xbox... I don't care enough to try it, though (running it under emulation is no interest to me, I am only really after a native port).

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

TinyXP is simply the standard Windows XP stripped of many of it's features, it was not made from scratch.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 05:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(edwinmcdunlap @ Jun 20 2006, 04:40 PM) *

TinyXP is simply the standard Windows XP stripped of many of it's features, it was not made from scratch.

We covered that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

ptrakk

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

what about using a swap file? would that affect anything?

This post has been edited by ptrakk: Oct 11 2006, 08:55 PM
Pages: [1] 2