xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2000 On Xbox  (Read 566 times)

JonTheChron

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »

well since the 2000 source code was leaked, has anyone tempted to make a fully compatible version for the xbox?

Smoko

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 06:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(JonTheChron @ Jan 17 2006, 12:31 AM) *

well since the 2000 source code was leaked, has anyone tempted to make a fully compatible version for the xbox?

It wasnt the full thing. So, no.

nt authority

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 03:39:00 AM »

WINDOWS SOURCE CODE FOR BOTH NT4 AND WIN2K BUILDS WERE LEAKED.

Considering the massive knowledge base and amount of applications and hardware devices created to exploit the xbox system this source code can most definitley be used to create a full version of windows for the xbox that can be installed in a native, proper, and full fashion that is truly complete.

Has anyone considered these methods, resources, concepts ???

(1) Build a full Xbox Native Windows from the ground up: Using leaked Windows 2000 Source Code with the missing "non-leaked" components substituted with the relative parts from

(A) leaked Windows NT4 {this has boot code and kernel initialization code in \nt\private\ntos\private\boot\ and \nt\private\ntos\init\ which would allow for the construction of an XBOX specific NTLDR/OSLOADER.EXE and/or NTOSKRNL.EXE

( REACTOS source code: the REACTOS avenue appears great as it already has a Hardware Abstraction Layer with custom code for the XBOX.

(2) Windows CE.NET source code, samples, and binary image building - Dependent on the CE .NET framework to a large extent it nevertheless provides an execellent resource especially when it comes to the construction of pre-kernel (and as such pre WinCE) executions such as those that occur in the hardware enumerating OEM ADAPTION LAYER during boot: a DEFAULT.XBE boot loader has already been constructed for the XBOX and a WinCE NK.NB0 image has been released. Modification to WinCE source code, specifically to the XBOX WinCE image mentioned above (that already works) could lead us somewhere.

By injecting leaked NT/WIN2K code, BIOS/x86 Emulation code such as Bochs, and possibly code from the EFI firmware interface released from INTEL, one could create a glorified superBIOS: This would be a WinCE OS perhaps residing on a LPC module like normal modchips and would allow execution of a normal PC windows setup program (unmodified). This is quite a complex idea but essentially works by creating an intermediate layer between the XBOX and Windows and thus makes Windows think it is installing itself on a PC instead of an XBOX.

(3) Create a BIOS PE FILE to replace XBOXKRNL.EXE then package it up under CABinet protocol and insert it back into the BIOS BOOT ROM so that it is unpacked upon POST.

Obviously we would rebuild NTOSKRNL.EXE using leaked code, rename it as XBOXKRNL.EXE, reseal it with appropriate cryptography and compression and then flash it into the region where the XBOX exepcts such to be.

This would then expect a HAL and Device Drivers as well as a Session Manager Sub-System and further programs at least up to the Winlogon.exe point where a system boot officially comes to an end.

PLowran

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:25:00 AM »

Yes the full source code was leaked for both of them, and actually the source code for MS-Dos 6 was also leaked!
PLowran

This post has been edited by PLowran: Apr 4 2006, 03:26 PM

rabble250

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

dos 6 was my favorite i remember when that came out

funnyperson1

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(PLowran @ Apr 4 2006, 09:56 AM) *

Yes the full source code was leaked for both of them, and actually the source code for MS-Dos 6 was also leaked!
PLowran

SWEET!  DOS6 for Xbox!!! Who's with me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

strekship

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(PLowran @ Apr 4 2006, 06:56 AM) *

PLowran

Um, no it wasn't. Only a few gigabytes were leaked. The full source code is much larger (probably about 30gigs).

netdroid9

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 02:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(funnyperson1 @ Apr 8 2006, 03:06 AM) *

SWEET!  DOS6 for Xbox!!! Who's with me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Actually, that's very interesting. With a few interupt patches and some modification it could be made to work pretty well. I'd like to play a bit of Wolfenstien 3D and Duke Nukem on the Xbox, myself. T'would be fun.

torne

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(strekship @ Apr 7 2006, 10:26 PM) *

Um, no it wasn't. Only a few gigabytes were leaked. The full source code is much larger (probably about 30gigs).

Naw, it's under fifteen. Compressed it fits on a DVD. Takes seriously large amounts of space to compile, though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The source leaked was certainly incomplete, though I don't know specifically what was missing (never looked at the leaked version) - but it's certain that it is, cuz the source of the leak never had the entire code to start with. MS don't give out certain parts of the code to normal Shared Source licencees. Even the copy I worked with that MS gave us on the academic shared source licence was missing a few key parts from higher level components.

Ganksta187

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »

that would be sweet...

spyder2k5

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(nt authority @ Feb 23 2006, 05:10 AM) *

WINDOWS SOURCE CODE FOR BOTH NT4 AND WIN2K BUILDS WERE LEAKED.

Considering the massive knowledge base and amount of applications and hardware devices created to exploit the xbox system this source code can most definitley be used to create a full version of windows for the xbox that can be installed in a native, proper, and full fashion that is truly complete.

Has anyone considered these methods, resources, concepts ???

(1) Build a full Xbox Native Windows from the ground up: Using leaked Windows 2000 Source Code with the missing "non-leaked" components substituted with the relative parts from

(A) leaked Windows NT4 {this has boot code and kernel initialization code in \nt\private\ntos\private\boot\ and \nt\private\ntos\init\ which would allow for the construction of an XBOX specific NTLDR/OSLOADER.EXE and/or NTOSKRNL.EXE

( REACTOS source code: the REACTOS avenue appears great as it already has a Hardware Abstraction Layer with custom code for the XBOX.

(2) Windows CE.NET source code, samples, and binary image building - Dependent on the CE .NET framework to a large extent it nevertheless provides an execellent resource especially when it comes to the construction of pre-kernel (and as such pre WinCE) executions such as those that occur in the hardware enumerating OEM ADAPTION LAYER during boot: a DEFAULT.XBE boot loader has already been constructed for the XBOX and a WinCE NK.NB0 image has been released. Modification to WinCE source code, specifically to the XBOX WinCE image mentioned above (that already works) could lead us somewhere.

By injecting leaked NT/WIN2K code, BIOS/x86 Emulation code such as Bochs, and possibly code from the EFI firmware interface released from INTEL, one could create a glorified superBIOS: This would be a WinCE OS perhaps residing on a LPC module like normal modchips and would allow execution of a normal PC windows setup program (unmodified). This is quite a complex idea but essentially works by creating an intermediate layer between the XBOX and Windows and thus makes Windows think it is installing itself on a PC instead of an XBOX.

(3) Create a BIOS PE FILE to replace XBOXKRNL.EXE then package it up under CABinet protocol and insert it back into the BIOS BOOT ROM so that it is unpacked upon POST.

Obviously we would rebuild NTOSKRNL.EXE using leaked code, rename it as XBOXKRNL.EXE, reseal it with appropriate cryptography and compression and then flash it into the region where the XBOX exepcts such to be.

This would then expect a HAL and Device Drivers as well as a Session Manager Sub-System and further programs at least up to the Winlogon.exe point where a system boot officially comes to an end.

for 1 do you post this in every topic about windows on xbox? i seen this now in 2 out of three topics that u replyed to STOP IT! and 2 no full source for any have been released.

torne

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(spyder2k5 @ Jun 29 2006, 04:45 PM) *

for 1 do you post this in every topic about windows on xbox? i seen this now in 2 out of three topics that u replyed to STOP IT! and 2 no full source for any have been released.

...he posted those in Feb, i.e. months ago, and hasn't been back since I explained to him why his idea was totally unfeasible (and illegal). So, there's really no point in replying to it...

charly_cat

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

In the   xboxlinux page have done it

ANyone know how to do it or is there any tutorial???

torne

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »

That's not running 2000 on the Xbox natively, that's running it under a virtualisation program on top of Linux. There are a number of topics in this forum talking about how to run Win98 under QEMU - for Win2000 you'd likely want to use virtualisation, not emulation, so just install a Linux distribution on your xbox, get the free VMWare Player, and install Windows under VMWare. It will perform quite badly, though, unless you have the 128MB ram upgrade - the overhead of running linux and vmware (or qemu, or any other virtualiser/emulator) will take a significant chunk of the Xbox's limited RAM and leave very little for Windows.

billgates666

• Archived User
2000 On Xbox
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(torne @ Jun 29 2006, 05:06 PM) *

...he posted those in Feb, i.e. months ago, and hasn't been back since I explained to him why his idea was totally unfeasible (and illegal). So, there's really no point in replying to it...

I couldn't agree more Torne. NT AUTHORITY should be ignored. Replying would be a waste of ENERGY !!!

Oh dear God !!!

Anyway I wanted to see if you need any help Torne. My name is Bill Gates and  well, you see I was reading this thread somewhere sometime somehow which goes a little something like this:

It's not neccecary to make it that complicated, really. Either port ReactOS and forget about MS Windows altogether, or do the hacks I have outlined in this thread to get a native Windows kernel running.

Incidentally, the differences between the Xbox and a regular PC are much less than the differences between an Intel-based Mac and a regular PC - but both the xponmac team, and Apple themselves, have managed to get XP to boot on the Intel Macs. A similar approach to xom for the Xbox would actually be quite interesting; it wouldn't be *completely* impossible to write an Xbox executable that could function as a simulacrum of a PC real-mode bios (though this would have to be a freestanding executable that ran as if it were a BIOS and accessed the hardware directly, because it's not viable to call the Xbox's kernel services from real mode). That would get you quite far with booting NT.. though it's a toss-up as to whether that'd be more or less work than just hacking up the NTLDR boot process as I already described. (PC BIOSes are hard, mmkay).

And I started to think...

I agree with the first statement here: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO MAKE IT ALL THAT COMPLICATED. (Getting Windows to Run on my XBOX). In respect to the EITHER PORT REACTOS AND FORGET ABOUT MS WINDOWS ALTOGETHER all I can say is this: use all resources available to you: SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA.

Those intelligent enough to decrypt such I am sure will tie me up to more conspiracies such as the NSAKEY in CRYPT32/ADVAPI32 DLLs but who knows ??? DARPA did invent the internet didn't it ??? Or was that I ???

Anyway, to continue:

"Incidentally, the differences between the Xbox and a regular PC are much less than the differences between an Intel-based Mac and a regular PC - but both the xponmac team, and Apple themselves, have managed to get XP to boot on the Intel Macs."

For heaven's sake: ANYONE CAN GET ANYTHING TO BOOT OF ANYTHING WITH MONEY !!! Even that xbox-scene user NT AUTHORITY who made some very bizzare posts in this thread (I agree with you Torne and thanks for telling him/her off for trying to use my source and reminding him/her such an operation was/is ILLEGAL) could (believe it or not) get Windows up on running on the XBOX and IN THE EXACT WAY HE/SHE DESCRIBED in his/her posts AS LONG AS HE/SHE HAD MONEY !!! All NT AUTHORITY or anyone else for that matter would have to do is get a $100,000 or so and PAY people like Torne and other professionals who have had the privilege of seeing full Windows Source to BREACH their NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENTS and BUILD XBOX FOR WINDOWS.

Now to the POINT:

"A similar approach to xom for the Xbox would actually be quite interesting; it wouldn't be *completely* impossible to write an Xbox executable that could function as a simulacrum of a PC real-mode bios (though this would have to be a freestanding executable that ran as if it were a BIOS and accessed the hardware directly, because it's not viable to call the Xbox's kernel services from real mode)."

It most certianly would NOT be completely impossible to write a DEFAULT.XBE that functions as a simulacrum of a PC real-mode BIOS and THIS IS THE ONLY WAY ANYONE WILL GET WINDOWS ON THE XBOX PERIOD; one smart cookie (or team of you lot on this forum) simply need to get together and write this executable to simulate a PC BIOS to the degree "That would get you quite far with booting NT.."

That is the Bill Gates and MS APPROVED solution.

in respect to the dilemma:

... " though it's a toss-up as to whether that'd be more or less work than just hacking up the NTLDR boot process as I already described. (PC BIOSes are hard, mmkay). "

Bill Gates says this:

PC BIOSes are hard, mmkay, but for those of you who know Occam's Razor, hacking up the NTLDR boot
proces as I already pasted above is not THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE:

Windows and it's CLEAN (non-hacked-up-proper-NTLDR-out-of-box) is what is released to manufacture: logic thus tells us that if a PC BIOS simulacrum DEFAULT.XBE can "trick" NTLDR into thinking it is running on a PC and receive the correct responses to enumerate hardware and create the registry and initialize the kernel and start loading devices then NO MESSY HACKING AND REVERSE ENGINEERING OF BOOT LOADERS is required: creating a simply DEFAULT.XBE simulacrum BIOS is OBVIOUSLY the only solution.

Then you can just run Windows as if it was meant to run on an XBOX from day zero.

My god, when I first designed the XBOX and added in the dummy boot loader in the TSOP as a throw-off I thought people would immediately click that the KEY TO IT ALL is creating a simulacrum BIOS.

Just KISS (Keep it simple stupid) and remember what BIOS stands for:

BASIC INPUT OUTPUT SYSTEM.

If someone does not have Windows on the Xbox within 3 months of me posting this thread here I swear god I AM GOING TO COMMIT SUICIDE !!!

What do you need to do other than create a BIOS default.xbe to get Windows on XBOX ???

NOTHING

Pages: [1] 2