xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hex Edit .xbe To Change Title And Savegame Directory  (Read 282 times)

PhyChris

• Archived User
Hex Edit .xbe To Change Title And Savegame Directory
« on: January 13, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

hi i have a quick question
i have a modded version of gta:sa and i want to change the title and save directory as to not interfere with my normal gta:sa
i have opened it in a hex editor and found one string for "udata" and several for "tdata"  

the "udata" looks like ( t:\$u\..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\UDATA..\??\ )
the "tdata" looks like  ( U:..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\TDATA..\??\      ) this was right after the above string

( \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\...\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\TDATA\%08x\$u\%s )
                                ( \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\..7.8.øR7 )
                                ( \Device\Harddisk0 \Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\ST.DB.%s%04x\%08x.WMA )

so what in that do i have to change so the game saves to a new directory and i can manage it with my favorite xbox dash?

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(PhyChris @ Jan 13 2010, 10:17 PM) View Post

hi i have a quick question
i have a modded version of gta:sa and i want to change the title and save directory as to not interfere with my normal gta:sa
i have opened it in a hex editor and found one string for "udata" and several for "tdata"  

the "udata" looks like ( t:\$u\..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\UDATA..\??\ )
the "tdata" looks like  ( U:..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\TDATA..\??\      ) this was right after the above string

( \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\...\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\TDATA\%08x\$u\%s )
                                ( \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\..7.8.øR7 )
                                ( \Device\Harddisk0 \Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\ST.DB.%s%04x\%08x.WMA )

so what in that do i have to change so the game saves to a new directory and i can manage it with my favorite xbox dash?

I'm not really sure, not knowing much about HEX editing. But if it were me I would locate the save file from my regular version, find out where it is on the HDD, then go back and look at the hex editor results again. I think saves are in TDATA though (I think)

PhyChris

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »

the save directory is 54540082 but there is no string in the .xbe

i noticed that some of the "tdata" seams to point to music ripped by the xbox dash  ( \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\..7.8.øR7 ) ( \Device\Harddisk0 \Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\ST.DB.%s%04x\%08x.WMA ) i wonder if i could point this to my mp3 library haha

This post has been edited by PhyChris: Jan 14 2010, 04:22 PM

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(PhyChris @ Jan 14 2010, 04:08 PM) View Post

The actual file may be randomly generated by the game when you save, which would explain that. Have you tried saving a game from both versions to see if they go in the same file??

Also, try changing the "TDATA" string to another location on the HD and then save and see if the file end up there. Just write the location out just as it is but  change the TDATA file to one of your own. (thats just a random idea, I don't know if it will work)

PhyChris

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »

ok so i changed "TDATA" and "UDATA" to "TSAVE" and "USAVE"  in what i suspected to be the save pointer
so it looked like this:  
                        ( t:\$u\..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\UDATA..\??\ )  
                        ( U:..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\TDATA..\??\ )
                                                  to
                        ( t:\$u\..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\USAVE..\??\ )
                        ( U:..\Device\Harddisk0\partition1\TSAVE..\??\ )
and it worked like i thought it would the game now saves to E:\TSAVE\54540082\ and E:\USAVE\54540082\ but now i cant manage it using standard save manageress haha i guess this will have to do

however if anyone else knows how to do this the proper way let me know

PhyChris

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »

i found out something else i have changed the .xbe to look for gta3.img in the game dir and not z:\ haha now it wont effect the normal gta:sa at all haha

( Z:\%s...MODELS\GTA3.IMG            )
             ( Z:\gta3.img.MODELS\GTA_INT.IMG )
                               to
             ( D:\%s...MODELS\GTA3.IMG            )
             ( D:\gta3.img.MODELS\GTA_INT.IMG )

this will only work when running game from hdd

ps sorry for the double post ... it wouldn't let me edit haha

This post has been edited by PhyChris: Jan 14 2010, 07:35 PM

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »

You could always edit a save manager so that it looks in your new directories lol

That will probably send you in a endless look of edits though  laugh.gif

GTTeancum

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(PhyChris @ Jan 14 2010, 10:08 AM) View Post

i noticed that some of the "tdata" seams to point to music ripped by the xbox dash  ( \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\..7.8.øR7 ) ( \Device\Harddisk0 \Partition1\TDATA\FFFE0000\MUSIC\ST.DB.%s%04x\%08x.WMA ) i wonder if i could point this to my mp3 library haha

In hex the code would be 82 00 54 54 - it's in little endian format, so the numbers are reversed in groups of two.  Use a more complex hex editor like 010 Editor or something that will let you search by hex bytes.  So If I wanted to change 54540082 (in the XBE its 82 00 54 54) to say ABCDABCD it would be CD AB CD AB.