xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: New: Xbins Ftp Connector  (Read 645 times)

Ground Zero

• Archived User
New: Xbins Ftp Connector
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »

For those experiencing connectivity issues, the problem can be sourced to a software/hardware (router) firewall. The 'Connecting to Xbins, please be patient ...' message is displayed whilst initiating a connection to an EFnet IRC server (where the #xbins channel resides), so if this message is the only output, this indicates that the program is recursively attempting to initiate a connection, due to repeated failure.

I recommend that if you're using a firewall, you add \Xbins\Xbins\bin\xbins.exe to the application exclusion list (IMON > Setup > Misc > Exclusion: Edit, if using NOD32), or in the case of ZoneAlarm, I believe there is an 'Allow IRC' option which can be enabled, please do your own research for your specific firewall on allowing IRC access. Alternatively, if your firewall allows it, adding port '6667' to the allowed ports list will fix the problem. The same applies for your router, port 6667 must be allowed.

If after configuring your firewall/router properly, you are still unable to connect, then give up. There may be a restriction set by your ISP, where IRC access is not allowed for whatever reasons, or the IRC server itself may be rejecting the connection itself, such as in the case of an entire ISP's IP subnet being banned, which is unlikely (plus I coded it to jump to the next server in such a case). So please ensure your firewall/router is configured properly before declaring that this application is faulty, as it is not. Hope this helps :-)

(To the poster above: What about the windows firewall? Is that disabled too? Also, some security software still operates in a minimal security mode, running vital backend components when apparently 'disabled', which can cause problems in rare circumstances. I recommend that you leave any security software turned on if installed, and just configure it with IRC properly.)

By the way, I am quite amazed at how many people are using this app. Something I did over a weekend that I expected half a dozen people to actually download and use, has been downloaded over 40,000 times according to download stats found on google-indexed websites, so I would like to thank those who have submitted it to websites such as 360Mods, are seeding torrents for it, and are recommending it in their guides/forum posts, and to Xbins for adding it to their archive, and providing such as great service.

zedd56

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »

err.... i would LOVE to have this app..... but the d/l link is dead
you put it up in the magic channel?

hahahaha i just realized that might just defeat the purpose....

Ground Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »

Number 355863, can you be more specific in regard to the assistance you need?
From the information you have given, my only guess is that you need help reading. Please PM me your address and I will look up an english tutor in your local area for you.

May I direct your attention to post #1, which contains a perfectly valid link to a download location.

I did not "put it up in the magic channel". An Xbins administrator is most probably responsible, maybe s/he thought it would be a useful time-saving utility for those who already manually connect to Xbins?

Seriously, OMFG, you are such a moronic pos.
Next time keep your unbelievably retarded, sarcastic remarks for the Newbie Forums. kthx jester.gif

squeez

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »

Just tried connecting seems an identd server is now needed...

NOTICE AUTH :*** Processing connection to irc.easynews.com
NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname
NOTICE AUTH :*** No Ident response
:irc.easynews.com NOTICE reinsert :*** Notice -- You need to install identd to use this server. If y
ou have ident installed, ensure you are not blocking port 113 via a firewall.  Visit our website for
 additional assistance at www.easynews.com/irc.
ERROR :Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (Install identd)
NOTICE * :*** Doing reverse DNS lookup...
NOTICE * :*** Connecting for ident request...
NOTICE * :*** Reverse DNS reply received.
NOTICE * :*** Doing forward DNS lookup...
NOTICE * :*** Forward DNS reply received.
NOTICE * :*** Ident request failed.

Ground Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, this really does need rewriting.
I just tested it though, and on my end, after quite some delay it still manages to connect  smile.gif

I will be rewriting this though, as it is quite slow and bloated right now using ruby.
As i'm very busy with exams, don't expect it to be released until late jan/february.

In the rewrite, I plan to stick to using the same version of filezilla (the new v3 is a bit too bloated for my needs), but instead of ruby, I will use c++ and win32 api calls to control the filezilla client (e.g. to automatically reconnect to xbins without having to restart filezilla) which will result in a smaller filesize, and no need for the command prompt 'Connecting to Xbins' window. I will also be sticking in an ident daemon, which should massively cut some of the connecting time out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the rewrite (anything thats missing in the current version?).

Are there any ftp clients with a smaller filesize / cleaner gui than the current filezilla version im using? (the current only uses a 1.65mb exe, no (non-system) dlls needed).

Remember, the aim of this app is to be as small and as simple/clean as possible.

Without ruby in the next version, I should be able to pack it into just one exe, with no folders to be extracted. The desktop will be the default download location, but filezilla's directory browser let's the user easily change this.

JohnyBlaze

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »

This is great, thank you for your work.

bugbags

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »

Fantastic app.1click xbins  cool.gif

gripnik

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »

Im feeling a little bit stupid at the moment, whether its justified remains to be seen. The program runs, connects to the irc channel and then just gives me a live connection to the irc room and everything going on in it. And well thats it. Filezilla doesnt run and I cant type anything into the console.

Just to explain this would have been the first time Ive used xbins, so if Im doing something stupid feel free to tell me. But as far as I can tell this program should bypass all of the irc password stuff and load Filezilla, with the right directory. Thanks for any help.

Greek Wizard

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(gripnik @ Feb 13 2008, 02:08 AM) View Post

Im feeling a little bit stupid at the moment, whether its justified remains to be seen. The program runs, connects to the irc channel and then just gives me a live connection to the irc room and everything going on in it. And well thats it. Filezilla doesnt run and I cant type anything into the console.

Just to explain this would have been the first time Ive used xbins, so if Im doing something stupid feel free to tell me. But as far as I can tell this program should bypass all of the irc password stuff and load Filezilla, with the right directory. Thanks for any help.

It used to work, but now I get the same thing as you so something must have changed.

Looking at it, it might just be that the user it needs to /msg is now _xbins where before it was xbins

Hopefully it will be re-written or fixed.

Ground Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »

Fix will be released v. soon.
Sorry about this, looks like some a$$hole took the nick 'xbins' to make himself look a little less worthless.

Ground Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »

Tempory fix:
http://www.verzend.b...empfix.exe.html

I guess a feature of version 2 will be to grab the bot's nickname from the channel topic.
(when I gather the motivation to finish it sleeping.gif)

This should work for now.
Remember to revert to using the previous version when the nickname changes back/this fix stops working.

comp.gif

KIPPERMAN32

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »

Thanx For the fix M8..Worked gr8. Good Work!!!

Snupple

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ground Zero @ Feb 14 2008, 04:42 PM) View Post

Fix will be released v. soon.
Sorry about this, looks like some a$$hole took the nick 'xbins' to make himself look a little less worthless.

Just FYI, The bot is called xbins_ now, BUT you have to type !list actually IN the channel, not to the bot

sadalius

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

The trigger still appears to work the same, just  with the _ after the bot name.

Ground Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »

Download the new version here:

http://www.360mods.n...ails/id=29.html

Let me know how you are finding it.

This version has identd built-in, so open port 113 on your firewall for much faster connection times  wink.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5