xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Which Homebrew Schematic To Use?  (Read 59 times)

luma

• Archived User
Which Homebrew Schematic To Use?
« on: October 26, 2002, 11:52:00 AM »

looking at xbox scene's drawings for the homebrew mod and looking at dysfunction's website i find that there are sublte differences in how they are wired.  i'm using a flashrom, and it looks like dysfunction's setup is for an eprom (write once).  the one that really has me puzzled is the connection for pin 1 on the rom.  dysfunction has it connected to pin 32 and 31, xbox scene doesn't have it connected to anything.  there's also the addition of a capacitor between 16 and 32 (where there's no connection at all for a flash rom on xbox scene's page), and a 10k resistor between the connection from pin 16 to 22 & 24.

for those of you out there using the homebrew mod, which diagram/schematic did you use, and you using a flashrom or an eprom?                                    

Jiggaman

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2002, 12:41:00 PM »

i used the tute on xbox-scene not the disfunction one. my homebrew is w29c020 (equivalent t 29f020 from other companies) this is a flashrom and the xbox scene tute works perfectly for me.                                    

luma

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 03:23:00 PM »

has anybody here used dysfunction's layout?  is the capacitor necessary/helpful?                                    

bluespot

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 09:30:00 PM »

Yes, Dysfunction's instructions will work perfectly with flash memory.  I've wired 3 xboxes in that manner.

Yes the capacitor is necessary (most of the time).  The 10k resistor is only necessary in certain configurations.  If you're not sure, USE ONE, or serious damage could result!!

Depending on your chip, A18 could be a reset line, in which case for the sake of correctness it should be high (as in dysfunction's diagram).  However it should also be possible to leave it completely disconnected.

WE = Write Enable should always be high, regardless of the type of chip.                                    

motomatt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 06:02:00 AM »

What if you use a Flash Eprom ie 29F020? Would you still have to use a capacitor?                                    

luma

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 10:14:00 AM »

so we have one vote for dysfunction, one for x-box scene....  maybe i should make a poll.  anybody else care to chime in?  what version are you using, did you try the other, and did it work?