xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Bj Consider This New Idea For Version O  (Read 2031 times)

josh689

• Archived User
Bj Consider This New Idea For Version O
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »

I think a great feature in the Version "o" realease would be to allow skinners to skin the loading screen. The loading screen im talking about is the Matrix effect screen when you turn on your xbox. That way everything can look good and neat if its all the same color, etc. Will you consider this BJ?  <

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

Well, I've already stated why the "init" screens cannot be skinned. They can, however, using the patcher, be modified in color and slightly in content.

The reason is simple... it's an "init screen" - there is no intention of loading anything before displaying it, and nothing should be required at that point, externally - this means the screne must be generated internally, without any files that might be missing to screw it up.

It may not be as long in the future, and it might be slightly more configurable, but beyond patching (using MXM_Patcher.exe, which came with the binaries package), there isn't much that can be done for "skinning" the init screen.  <

josh689

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »

What if the skinners could make there own patches to patch it then patch it using whatever they made... So when you download the Skin there will be the MXM_Skin.xml w/ all the media files and also there will be the Init Screen Patch file in a seperate folder or something. Then updateing the MXM_Patcher to be able to open files?   <

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (josh689 @ Jul 7 2004, 12:12 AM)
What if the skinners could make there own patches to patch it then patch it using whatever they made... So when you download the Skin there will be the MXM_Skin.xml w/ all the media files and also there will be the Init Screen Patch file in a seperate folder or something. Then updateing the MXM_Patcher to be able to open files?

That coulde be possible, using a skin script.  However, don't hold your breath for it.

Besides, even a skin script will not be able to add any more configuration options for the start screen except what's already there.  <

pelago

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »

BJ, I understand completely that at init time you don't want to be reliant on external files. However, couldn't you have code which will load external files if they are there, but otherwise default to built-in resources? That way, if a user wanted to 'skin' the loading screen, they could do it by simply putting correctly named files in the right place, but if they screw up, then your code will ignore the files and use the internal stuff. Just an idea.

This post has been edited by pelago: Jul 7 2004, 08:57 PM <

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »

That would be great!! To bad it wont happen, because i dont like the screens we have chose from at all.  <

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »

Well, I just made a slight adjustment to the "sky and logo" screen.... the next WIP build will have the new logo ('bout time, I'm sure MomDad and KF are thinking ;) ) for the title image and logo.

I'll be making some tweaks to those screen, and perhaps offering some more options through the patcher. I would also like to add a 3-D logo into the mix, but space is the biggest limitation there (the MXM logo in 3D takes up a LOT of space).  <