xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Buying A New Laptop  (Read 108 times)

hockeyfrk5

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« on: June 11, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »

Hey guys, I've been out of the PC loop for a while so I have a question or two.

I'm in the market with an August deadline of getting a new laptop for college.

I want a 17" screen, but I also want a killer graphics card.  I want something that'll play WoW and probably CS Source.  That's all I really care about.  Any particular laptop you have in mind?

blame canada

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »

it depends on how well you want to play WOW or CS:S, as in really well, or in between, or just barely enough to play them?

to run them kinda in-between shoot for this one:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834114234

if you want to be able to play them both nicely, its gonna run you $2k+

hockeyfrk5

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »

How do you define "in-between?"

I dont want amazing gameplay, but I don't want it to be choppy or jumpy.  The graphics dont have to be the best as long as it doesn't feel like im skipping.  I'm mainly going to play WoW

blame canada

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »

then that laptop should be perfect. Pretty much any laptop with a 6600gt or better (I advise you to stay away from onboard graphics or ATI video cards) will do just fine pop.gif

blame canada

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

dell FTW. my family has owned 5+ dells including 5 pc's and a laptop, and most worked flawlessly. The one that didnt dell came out and replaced it with the next model up. dell = 12/10 IMO. Theyve got nice prices, but STAY AWAY FROM the xps series. They charge 4x more than what it would caost to buil the system yourself. I would say either HP, Dell, or buy one from newegg (I vote for newegg)

damam

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »

my dell story goes as follows -

I bought 300 laptops abt 5 or 6 years ago.  None  of them worked out of the box.  Would not even boot.  they did not honour their warranty.  It took me about a year and a half to get dell to actually replace them.  as it turned out each one of them had a faulty bios that caused the issue (the actual chips were damamged so reflashing etc did not help).  by the time the laptops were replaced the project i was working on had finished so it was a complete waste.  any company occasionally builds a lemon, the test is in how they respond to it.  Dell completely failed in my book.  I will never buy a dell again.

on the flip side, it appears that they have changed there ways as far as supporting there warranty as I know many that are very satisfied.

blame canada

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

yup, dell seems to be a hit-or-miss company, but for me theyve been perfect.

lebriznon

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »

check out www.notebookreview.com and www.notebookforums.com

lots of info and reviews.

post questions there to get more useful answers.

personally for 17" ones i like the Asus notebooks for great build quality.  See the w2Jb and A7J.  Will be a bit pricey though.

17" is far too bulky to carry around at school IMO, so be sure you actcually want that big of a notebook.

Dell notebooks just look plain ugly and generic to me.

watever you get i suggest a core duo and geforce7600 or ATI X1600 or higher.

Another option is to buy a barebone notebook from Asus and customize your components.  will save your some money and you'll get what you want.

grogger13

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »

i was thinking about just getting the standard ram in my laptop and then upgrading from newegg, becuase the upgrades always seem so overpriced.  
1.Is this a smart idea
2.Why do some ram sticks that have the same specs have such a wide price range, whats worse about the cheaper ram?

patrick2269

• Archived User
Buying A New Laptop
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(grogger13 @ Jun 17 2006, 11:20 PM) View Post

i was thinking about just getting the standard ram in my laptop and then upgrading from newegg, becuase the upgrades always seem so overpriced.  
1.Is this a smart idea
2.Why do some ram sticks that have the same specs have such a wide price range, whats worse about the cheaper ram?

1. I think it is.
2. Brand name, manufactures, quality of parts used, how well the product was built