xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Controllers Won't Connect  (Read 100 times)

fixbox

• Archived User
Wireless Controllers Won't Connect
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »

Hi,
After repairing the RROD for the second time I now have the problem where my wireless controllers will not connect. I've tried the following:-
1. New batteries.
2. Press the connect button on the console and on the controller. The lights rotate on the console and on the
    controller, but no connection is made.
3. Switched off all possible interference sources. (mobile phones, cordless phones etc)
4. Tried another (known working) wireless controller.
5. Tried the PnC cable.
6. Replaced the RF module.
7. Heatgunned around the GPU and Southbridge area.

The console boots up fine to the dashboard, no errors, no red lights. It responds to the DVD remote and I can play movies, music etc. (so the IR port is working).

I don't have a wired controller to try but I connected my usb mp3 player to the 3 usb ports on the console and they all work fine. I even swapped the usb signals from the RF module with the signals from one of the other three usb ports so I could test it with the mp3 player. To my surprise it also worked! (this is the usb channel that is normally used by the wireless controllers via the RF module).

The odd thing is that I can switch on the console by pressing the guide button on the controller and
I can switch off the controller via the console which means that the wireless link must be working, but it just won't sync up.

I've scoured the web and found that many other people are having this problem. I've tried all suggested fixes but to no avail. Some people are even claiming that this problem is occurring after they have had the RROD repaired by M$. The fix was to send it in again for further repair. This is not an option for me as I've blown my warranty. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a fix for this one.

Ant ideas would be greatly appreciated.

randon_i_am

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »

mate ive got the same problem with one of my "failed" repaired xbox's, solely because of this...
you try to sync them and both console and controller rings spin, then they flash like they do when they make the connection, but no quadrents light up after that... but like you said they still have some sort of connection because you can turn the console on with the contoller, and off again with the console

a wired controller dosnt work either so dont bother with buying one and trying it. so i'd say tis got to be with whatever piece of hardware deals with the controller I/O

but on another fix i did (a while ago now) this happend... (I thought F**K not another one) but some how it came good by itself, just after a reboot!.

So i think it is fixable but i havnt been able to fix the first one, i gave up and turned it into spares box...

if ya have any luck keep posting and if anyone else has had this tell us of your success or failures please

klamathxor

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »

same here, i just read your post after i did mine.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=662186

klamathxor

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »

i am going to do a little r&d today, looking at the pin outs for the RF board, the only thing that could be wrong is the USB shared ground, however looking over the documentation it says its not used.  The southbridge connector is the only other thing that could be wrong, either in the trace to the chip or the chip itself.  I may try a reflow this weekend on the southbridge or wait till monday if i cant find a heat gun.  Keep me posted if you have any luck.

fixbox

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(klamathxor @ Sep 27 2008, 07:16 AM) *

i am going to do a little r&d today, looking at the pin outs for the RF board, the only thing that could be wrong is the USB shared ground, however looking over the documentation it says its not used.  The southbridge connector is the only other thing that could be wrong, either in the trace to the chip or the chip itself.  I may try a reflow this weekend on the southbridge or wait till monday if i cant find a heat gun.  Keep me posted if you have any luck.

I tend to agree that the problem is with the southbridge, either with the solder joints or the chip itself. I heatgunned mined but probably not hot enough to reflow. Please let us know the results of your reflow attempt.

klamathxor

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(fixbox @ Sep 27 2008, 01:49 AM) *

I tend to agree that the problem is with the southbridge, either with the solder joints or the chip itself. I heatgunned mined but probably not hot enough to reflow. Please let us know the results of your reflow attempt.

I traced pin 9 on the RF board to pin 6 on rear USB, we get signal.  I couldn't find a jtag pin nor a trace on the board to the southbridge.  Today i took the system in to a friend who heated the southbridge up to 750F for 1 minute, no luck still.  The POS place who i ordered my new RF board thru finally sent it out.  So maybe its the board (i hope so) if not, 1 more thing to try (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=662341)  any luck on your end?

Tim

fixbox

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(klamathxor @ Sep 30 2008, 05:03 AM) *

I traced pin 9 on the RF board to pin 6 on rear USB, we get signal.  I couldn't find a jtag pin nor a trace on the board to the southbridge.  Today i took the system in to a friend who heated the southbridge up to 750F for 1 minute, no luck still.  The POS place who i ordered my new RF board thru finally sent it out.  So maybe its the board (i hope so) if not, 1 more thing to try (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=662341)  any luck on your end?
Tim

Well, I've already tried a new RF module with no luck (although this has worked for others). I also tried (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=662341) yesterday but also no luck.