xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Marathon Series  (Read 344 times)

Helios

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« on: November 12, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »

Hey guys. I was just wondering if it is possible to port the Marathon series over to Xbox. I am pretty sure its all in source on Bungie so would anyone be willing to port this to xbox? It would be so popular if it was I just know it. Its a great classic and I would love to see this on Xbox. I have already seen some awesome classics on Xbox like Quake, Quake 2, Q3 Arena and Doom and This would just cap it off. If anyone would do this then you guys would be awesome. Thanks anyway guys :beer:

Phor

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »

Info for anyone interested in porting, (or hey, just anyone interested!)

Aleph One: Homepage

The opensource project for the marathon engine. Lots of features have been added, including Hi Res image support, Online play, and true 3D modles. The "get marathon" link also contains download links for the engine, and texture files.

Also, it could ship with Rubicon which is a 3rd party marathon scenario. Think of it as a 'marathon 4'.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

Carcharius: Was working with the code a while back, dunno if he still is, I forget what became of that, something tricky I'm sure.

Definatly a good idea though!

mike315

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »

Helios

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 02:02:00 AM »

Yeah I seriously think that this would be fucking awesome. Carcharius finished Quake 3 but didn't he finish Marathon? Hmm that sucks because Marathon would be completing my Xboxes purpose in life. I am DYING to get this on Xbox. If I had ANY experience with porting games to Xbox then of course I would but I don't work with C++ and it doesn't work with me. I wish Carcharius would tell us why he stopped his Marathon project or whatnot. Anyway....  Sigh.... Would be killer to have it on xbox.

Carcharius

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 04:39:00 AM »

Why did I stop?

Well after some good early progress it proved extremely troublesome with crashes that I couldn't track down. If I remember rightly the structure of the code was a nightmare too. Basically it frustrated the hell out of me and I got bored.

Am I likely to pick it up again?

Nope. It was too much of a pain in the ass, and I didn't enjoy working on it.

Can someone else carry on my project?

Again, no I'm afraid. I have no idea what happened to the source for that one. But getting to the stage I did hardly took any time at all, I think I knocked it out in a couple of hours one sunday morning or something. So it's not impossible for someone to quickly duplicate what I had.

Helios

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »

Ohh thats a shame man.... Sigh.... It would be awesome to get it ported though.... Anyway its cool what you have done to contribute Carcharius.... Anyway someone should port it ONLY if they have time. Anyway thanks

Perfect Dark

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »

Marathon sucks :rotfl: ....

XDelusion

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »

You can always play it under Linux I'd imagine!

Helios

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

Yeah I don't think so with Linux because it was an Apple game. Aleph One made it possible for Windows but I am not sure about Linux..... And Perfect Dark a comment like that is just useless.... If you don't like Marathon then don't post. Its just a post to get your counter higher because you think your cool. Don't post useless crap like that.

Phor

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »

Aleph One has been ported to linux for a while, it even has a dreamcast port, I belive. Grab the it at S.B.O.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »

The Dreamcast and BeOS port were never finished. :/

yutaro

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »

lol I asked about marathon a year ago and nobody cared, but it's great to see that more people want it now.
I would die for an xbox port, cause I grew up with this game. Kicking pfhor ass on xbox would be a dream come true.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »

Ya.... not many people are aware that it exsists, either they were busy playing DOOM on there crusty old PC's or were too busy playing Genetic Species on there Amigas. No one in there right mind owned a Mac back then, memory crashes were a bitch!

Helios

• Archived User
Marathon Series
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »

But memory crashes were apart of the Mac. Its what we grew up to love lol. Can someone try the linux port on Linux on the xbox? I don't have Linux on mine... No room :(