xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Kotor Hacking Guide  (Read 237 times)

VoxAngel

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« on: April 18, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »

Well, I threatened to do this and I did. The link will take you to a guide I've written on hacking KotOR. I'd appreciate any feedback that would improve it and if anyone would like to host it, there's a downloadable version.

Thanks.  B)

http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/stormsinger/KotOR/hack.html

Virtucon

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »

absolutely awsome!  good job on this.  I've already played through this game 6 time.  I just had to do it again after all the Items I've been able to get at the start.  I've only messed with items(weps, armor, ect..), but i wanted to know how to edit stats, or maybe even properties of items.  Thanks

Ten-96

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 03:24:00 PM »

Crap!!  I hadn't realized that I needed to have KoTOR install on my xbox harddrive in order to do the editing.  Is there a way to copy the info from the game disc on a pc?  If so, I can then ftp it to my xbox.  After doing that, will it interfere with my normal game saves?  I haven't modded my xbox in any way because I still play on xbox live.  Any suggestions?

Elf_Sniper

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »

My suggestion: buy a modchip, and turn it off when you're playing Xbox live

DiscoFever

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »

is there anything for save game hacking?

VoxAngel

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 02:40:00 AM »

To edit a save you'd have to be able to resign it properly. As far as I know, that hasn't happened yet and I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

DiscoFever

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 03:17:00 AM »

oh well, guess i'll have to do it the hard way

*wanders off to copy KOTOR to the harddrive*

VoxAngel

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 07:32:00 AM »

Well, actually you only need it on your PC HD. That guide I wrote is horribly out of date and it's much, MUCH easier to edit game files if you use an override folder on your xbox. You don't even need the game installed on your xbox.

The override folder is priority 1 when the game starts up. It looks there for any files it needs before anywhere else. Because of this, you don't have to go to such great lengths to edit items, characters, areas, etc.

Create a folder in the "TDATA/4c410003" folder, name it "Override" and drop any edited files into it. That's about it. Those files will automatically "override" the normal game files.

I plan on updating that guide as soon as I'm finished with the saves I'm working on now. PM me if you have any questions.

Big_Peb

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (Ten-96 @ Sep 28 2004, 11:27 PM)
Crap!!  I hadn't realized that I needed to have KoTOR install on my xbox harddrive in order to do the editing.  Is there a way to copy the info from the game disc on a pc?  If so, I can then ftp it to my xbox.  After doing that, will it interfere with my normal game saves?  I haven't modded my xbox in any way because I still play on xbox live.  Any suggestions?

to copy the info from disc to pc ur still gonna need a modchip, sames goes for ftp access, just get one, u can disable it and still play on live anyways...

DiscoFever

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 01:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (VoxAngel @ Oct 17 2004, 03:35 PM)
Well, actually you only need it on your PC HD. That guide I wrote is horribly out of date and it's much, MUCH easier to edit game files if you use an override folder on your xbox. You don't even need the game installed on your xbox.

This is good news....turns out i didn't have enough room on my xbox for it anyway =)

Vampire Fury

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

question for u, is there something that explains how to manipulate stats, portraits, and feats, etc. just wondering cause i know where to look for the save and what not but i cant tell which is the right thing to hex.

VoxAngel

• Archived User
Kotor Hacking Guide
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 04:45:00 AM »

Editing the save will get you nowhere (if that's what you're suggesting). Pretty much everything about the characters (other than the PC) is in their .utc file. Templates.bif and various modules (.rim) contain these files. The PC is another matter and has to be handled differently. Editing some of the .2da files (in the global.rim) can help in most cases.

KotOR Tool can browse and extract these files, as well as edit them - although it tends to choke on xbox files sometimes.

Once the file is edited, upload it to the override folder (the one you have to create) and it's done. You don't really need the game installed on your xbox, but you will need many of the files on your PC.