xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmp Locks On Directory With 1500+ Mp3's?  (Read 36 times)

lanvo

• Archived User
Xbmp Locks On Directory With 1500+ Mp3's?
« on: November 08, 2003, 06:57:00 PM »

biggrin.gifs... I don't think the xbox has enough memory to handle that hehe biggrin.gifs...

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »

I don't know the actual issue, but that seems a little excessive for XBMP to handle.  Does a computer view that many files with no problems (I have all my music separated by album in folders so I don't know).  I'd have to think maybe it requires too much memory or something to that effect.  Loading a playlist with ~400 songs in XBMP causes a small hang-up, so I can't imagine 1500+ songs!

Oh crap, and I just read that you're sharing them via a network.  I'd look into separating them into a few different folders and trying that.  You're just asking for trouble with all those songs over a network.

Blueshift

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »

I dunno, but I have 2300 Mp3's and every time I try and open the directory on my Xbox it just sits there and hangs, I'm gonna try a smaller directory and see if it works better with fewer mp3's to clear this issue up.

UnknownShadow

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 03:42:00 PM »

UPDATE:

Just thought I would give an update after playing with it for a couple of hours. There are definitely some major bugs in XBMP 2.4 when dealing with MP3's. It doesn't matter if you are listing 3000 songs or 30 songs. There are certain MP3's that XBMP simply will not list properly. With or without ID3's turned on, it doesn't matter.

My work around was to create my playlists on the computer using WinAMP, modify them to point to "smb://" instead of "c:music" or whatever. Then upload them to the xbox. XBMP will then play them with no problem which I found very weird.

In other words, XBMP will lock solid when I try to list a directory with 1500+ mp3's in it but if I create a playlist for that entire directory on my computer, then upload that playlist to the xbox, then XBMP will let me browse up and down through those 1500 songs all day long. So I can browse a 1500 song playlist but not a 1500 song directory.

Weird but the work around is fine for me. Oh yes, this is running over my network in case anyone is wondering. The playlists point to songs on my computer, not the xbox hd.

I really wish someone would write a standalone MP3 player for the xbox, like WinAMP. How about WinAMPx or xAMP! ;-)

DrunkPenguin

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »

I had the same problem, so I switched to Xbox Media Center (XBMC) and it seems to work ALOT better.  With large folders it slows down some, but reads everything fine.  Im using a file server computer over SMB.  Its sole purpose in this life is to share music to my xbox haha.  

DrunkPenguin