xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plug-and-play Discussion  (Read 1465 times)

ub312g0d

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »

I dont mean to sound pessimistic or anything but why cant the zipped extensions just end with *.zip It saves a few seconds when creating the zip files.  How would the preview file be done? Like a screenshot saved as a jpg? Or like dynmically renderining the skin in a preview box.  the latter would be nicer, but possibly overkill as it would require a total unzip of the skin and lots of resources.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 02:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (ub312g0d @ Feb 25 2004, 12:28 AM)
I dont mean to sound pessimistic or anything but why cant the zipped extensions just end with *.zip It saves a few seconds when creating the zip files.  How would the preview file be done? Like a screenshot saved as a jpg? Or like dynmically renderining the skin in a preview box.  the latter would be nicer, but possibly overkill as it would require a total unzip of the skin and lots of resources.

On the extension naming, this would be on purpose, because:
  1. It indicates the file has specific content
  2. It prevents wasting time to unzip and look in ZIP files to see if it's correct
  3. I can check separately for skins and script modules, since those are loaded at different points. Otherwise, I have to rescan the whole directory or cache the results of the first scan.

As for the preview, yes, the preview would be a pre-rendered image file (video or static image) with a name of preview.xxx where 'xxx' is a valid image extension. The preview would likely be a 4:3 or 16:9 ratio rendered at less than quarter resolution (i.e. 320x240) but more than an eighth (160x120)

ub312g0d

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004, 03:49:00 AM »

ahhhhhh ok..thanx for the explanation, makes sense. And about having officiail Download servers while I think Its a good idea, I think that people should also beable to add their own dload servers if they so chose. This would be especially handy if one of the 2 official servers got taken permanantly offline or had a name change or the like.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2004, 06:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Feb 24 2004, 09:43 PM)
ZSK files will be properly unzipped to their own skin folder in the skins path, saving people the trouble of how to install new skins.

Defeats the purpose of having it zipped in the first place if you're going to unzip each and every zipped skin...unless you're going to delete the expanded inactive skin files. -just my two cents.

its much easier to download and install/extract a zip file than it is to download multiple files... or even to maintain the list of file for that plugin/skin that needs to be downloaded.

Rar. i would stay away from it.  new versions of incompatible rar being pushed out on a almost constant basis.  Even UnleashX only supports rar to a certain version.  Avalaunch, I think, went with zip only skins because of this too.

AXS will definitely host them for you and provide whatever you need to get the job done. The "validation" of the plugin would be a necessity (like some have stated) simply because of the power of MXM and its possibility to support a malicious script.   You could put together a "validation group" of the better scripters to check and test.. and i can provide them a way to update the site/list with the new scripts.  As always,  just let me know what you need.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »

Cool, KF.... I just got ZIP support working, and I'm playing around with it. RAR code is such a mess, I'm not going to bother. Non-re-entrant code that would require me to spend a few days rewriting the entire thing - not worth the time for the reasons you stated.

Validation may end up being something like the "Certificate" method - I'm not sure exactly how I want to do this - as MXM is open source, I want to make sure the method is very well thought out.

flattspott

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

Well you could just have a master list that could be downloaded via WEBFILEFETCH or whatnot that has the MD5 checksums for all known scripts. Then you can check the scripts you download against this file. Someone could verify the script as non malicious and add the MD5 to the list.

geniusalz

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »

dry.gif

Only trusted sources should be included as script servers with the official release of mxm.  As for scripts downloaded off anywhere else, they would be the same as self-written scripts, which can be as maliciuos as the user wants.  

Also, suppose someone wants to customize a script to their needs.  That would also be impossible.

Therefore, no MD5 checking is necessary, and the host for autodownload will have verified scripts.

Kthulu

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2004, 06:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (geniusalz @ Feb 26 2004, 01:24 AM)
I don't get it.  Why would there be any issues? dry.gif

Only trusted sources should be included as script servers with the official release of mxm.  As for scripts downloaded off anywhere else, they would be the same as self-written scripts, which can be as maliciuos as the user wants.  

Also, suppose someone wants to customize a script to their needs.  That would also be impossible.

Therefore, no MD5 checking is necessary, and the host for autodownload will have verified scripts.

i share g-dub's concern there.  no matter what, i want to be able to customize any scripts i download without pain-in-the-arse repercussions.

i fell in love with MXM and actionscripts (forgive the sappiness) because actionscripts gave me a power to customize that no other dash did.  if you centralize control too much, MXM and actionscripts could lose this flexibility/customizability.

the desire to make things 'user friendly' is a virtue (just having the zipped xsm modules goes a long way in that department), but i don't think people who have brains and experience should ever feel held back by newbs and retards.  nothing can be made idiot proof.

another great value i see of actionscripts is this:  if the scene dies or if BJ get's tired of working on it or if BJ gets hit by a bus, MXM has the potential to live on and meet it's users needs through actionscripts.  i would hate for the proper working of scripts in general to be hindered by a website that no longer existed.

now, i'm not saying that having autodownloads and gamesDBs is bad thing, i just hope that they won't be neccessary for MXM and actionscripts to run trouble-free.

flattspott

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »

Valid point

koldfuzion

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2004, 05:54:00 AM »

nothing can be made idiot proof

Those round sewer covers are idiot-proof.  Not even an idiot can drop it in the hole it covers.

Thankfully someone was thinking about this one and didnt make them square.

geniusalz

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »

But the idiot himself CAN drop in, so it's not completely idiot proof

Kthulu

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

also, i read a news article years ago where some idiot didn't put the manhole-cover back on flush with the road...a truck ran over one side of it and caused it to flip up into the air and crash through the windshield of the car behind...killing the driver.

...and if some idiot puts them on upside-down, you're in for a good bump when you drive over them...

koldfuzion

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (geniusalz @ Feb 28 2004, 07:39 PM)
But the idiot himself CAN drop in, so it's not completely idiot proof

that would require it to be Idiot-Proof²™,  

Would take one idiot to remove the cover, the other to walk over it.

Taiger

• Archived User
Plug-and-play Discussion
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (geniusalz @ Feb 26 2004, 09:24 AM)
I don't get it.  Why would there be any issues? dry.gif

Only trusted sources should be included as script servers with the official release of mxm.  As for scripts downloaded off anywhere else, they would be the same as self-written scripts, which can be as maliciuos as the user wants. 

Also, suppose someone wants to customize a script to their needs.  That would also be impossible.

okay,

I'm not sure if I understand this correct with MD5 checking, would it not be possible to just copy the script to a new directory and modify it to your needs from there, or is it ment that scripts would only be runable from one directory in the next release of MxM ??

The alternative I like the most is is that you would have this one dir where all the scriprts will be stored that commes from MxM update sight that are verifyed by someone. And in MxM you should have something like an option to "Make own script from this code" Then when you select this MxM would copy the script to a "own script dir" where you could make the modifications that you like ...

This "own script dir" would also be where you put your entirely own scripts ...

Or should BJ have to begin with the creation of an Antivirus script :-)
Pages: 1 [2]