xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Linux On X360 Without A Dvd Drive  (Read 289 times)

jigglywiggly

• Archived User
Linux On X360 Without A Dvd Drive
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »

So I don't think this will work but...

Ok so if I have a jtagg'd xbox 360, is it possible to install Ubuntu onto it without a working dvd drive?

I mean you could use unbetbootin to install ubuntu to the usb thumb drive?

krizalid

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »

I don't think Network booting is supported on current releases and USB is very unstable and will lock up the machine before even getting to desktop.

If you can JTAG than buy a DVD-Rom, extract the key via decrypting keyvault and flash a firmware to it. Or simply use Xellous to set key on that DVD-Rom so it's usable with games as well.

Just for the note: Linux doesn't run well on the 360 yet. This is due to Xell only having 700mhz of processing power access of 1 core. Wait till we get all 3 cores runnig at 3Ghz, even I will get a spare HDD and run linux in it.  love.gif

Cheers.

BladeWing

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »

Why have we only got 700mhz of 1 core ?? Whats stopping them from unlocking the full power of the 360 ??

jigglywiggly

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »

Wait... are you guys serious? 700 mhz only? Wuh wah wat, I was about to do my project of a 360 cluster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

BladeWing

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »

Yep. 700 MHZ of 1 Core. I'm waiting for atleast 1 full core before i get LinuX360.

jigglywiggly

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »

Wait, so how long do you think this will take, and I am not quite sure why they can't allow the full power of the 360,  I mean why is it severely underclocked?

juggahax0r

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(jigglywiggly @ Mar 22 2010, 02:33 AM) View Post

Wait, so how long do you think this will take, and I am not quite sure why they can't allow the full power of the 360,  I mean why is it severely underclocked?

Because it is a custom Processor not a normal PPC , it has a different instruction set , it uses efuses. A lot of reasons why they haven't figured it out. It is called reverse engineering , they don't have everything they need right in front of them so they have too figure it out. Give it time the Jtag mod has not been out "that" long , it would be nice though too have all cores running at full speed.

jigglywiggly

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »

I know what reverse engineering is. But I would think that something like that would be controlled by the 360's bios, not by the OS. Unless of course on the 360, they are fused together.

This post has been edited by jigglywiggly: Mar 23 2010, 01:44 AM

juggahax0r

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

The 360 doesn't have a standard BIOS , everything about it in terms of PC architecture is customized. And every game , every app is optimized to only run on the 360 hardware. If we were dealing with a normal PPC processor it would be easier too make a distro that would work on it. In fact it would be as easy as it was on the original xbox , but keep in mind the original used a standard celeron mobile chipset and didn't require much modification , and the linux distro didnt require much modification either too make it run pretty well.
 Another thing to keep in mind is that the "OS" the dashboard for the 360 is in flash so it is the first thing the 360 checks. Read the original article on how the 360 mod works , it is very technical but it will help to understand how the boot process works. At this point the limitation in linux comes from lack of knowledge in regards to the CPU on the 360 , if they knew what they needed to program to get them working they would have and they will in time , if people work on it.