xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Need To Know Something About Ftp  (Read 69 times)

uncledave

• Archived User
I Need To Know Something About Ftp
« on: May 30, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »

If i understand you, youre trying to connect to xbox through a router with a x-over cable.

x-over cable is used to connect two PC's directly to each other (i.e. xbox straight to PC) and can't be used in a router.

If your connecting it to your router use a normal straight cable

enifdef

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »

I'm not using a crossover cable. Do you think that I should just buy a crossover cable and hook the xbox directly up to my PC? Is that an easier way?

Enifdef

uncledave

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 02:21:00 AM »

nah don't bother you should get the same speed connecting it either way.

When you connect xbox to your router do you get the link and activity lights coming on?

Is your xbox set with the right network settings? Using a static IP is normally best.

Can you ping your xbox using either its name or ip?

enifdef

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 12:47:00 PM »

No I can't ping the xbox when going through my router. I thought that the static IP was supposed to be off. If you could tell me the exact way that you do it...that would make it easier on me. Thanks a lot.

Enifdef

L!M!T

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (uncledave @ May 30 2003, 07:52 PM)
If i understand you, youre trying to connect to xbox through a router with a x-over cable.

x-over cable is used to connect two PC's directly to each other (i.e. xbox straight to PC) and can't be used in a router.

If your connecting it to your router use a normal straight cable

Just FYI most routers nowadays detects if the cable is a cross-over (patch) cable or a straight cable, and handles the traffic anyway.

Regards,
L!M!T

L!M!T

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 03:57:00 PM »

QUOTE (enifdef @ May 31 2003, 09:47 PM)
No I can't ping the xbox when going through my router. I thought that the static IP was supposed to be off. If you could tell me the exact way that you do it...that would make it easier on me. Thanks a lot.

Enifdef

If the router has a firewall, make sure that you have the Xbox IP set as a 'trusted' IP. In other words, that the traffic to and from the Xbox are allowed, so the router isn't blocking it. If you are using a software firewall as well, make sure that this also is configured to allow traffic to and from the Xbox.

Regards,
L!M!T