xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do I Flash The Tsop Without Solder?  (Read 89 times)

3thirteen

• Archived User
How Do I Flash The Tsop Without Solder?
« on: November 02, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »

I read a tutorial about using a pencil or conductive ink pen to bridge the connections instead of soldering, but I'm really not sure how you would do this since there's no pics.  Can some explain this to me?  Also, what exactly is a conductive ink pen?  Sorry for the noob tsop questions, tryin to do my friends box since he doesnt want to shell out for a chip.

netscan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 05:43:00 AM »

A conductive ink pen is a pen with, well, conductive ink. The method for connecting the points is the same as soldering (as long as you dont need a wire) so read that tutorial. Dont use a pencil. Or if you can't find a pen, use a rear window defroster repair kit (the conductive paint) and a toothpick.

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 04:51:00 AM »

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...T&f=43&t=121021

I didn't want to post the whole thing.. got questions, just ask..  If you can't understand my jiburish, let me know. I can re-make it clearer.. I was hoping to get my camera back and make a tutorial in word but, still hasn't shown up.  Anyone has pictures from, apply, correct copper amount on toothpick, pre-required steps, and everything else in between.  I would be glad to help otherwise, maybe next week I can get some snap shots..  This is even great to do if, you've soldered but, need to touch up something real quick..  takes a min or two plus let it dry under lamp for 5-15 mins depending on watts..

Even, if you have the Sharp chip which requires that 3rd lengthy wire.  You can use the last trick I mentioned which is probably obvious but, oh well...  some people get caught up on their thinking when stuff is actually just simple.

Zak0

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 07:11:00 PM »

As I posted in the "Pencil?" thread - pencil doesn't appear to work for bridging the points to enable TSOP flashing...

I have a v1.3 and I just used conductive paint from a rear-window defogger repair kit (like $8 at the local Auto Zone) and a toothpick to bridge the two spots on top of the board (no need to do the one on the bottom for a v1.3 box).

In my case, I already had the font hack launching PBL which loaded an x2 BIOS which in turn launched EvoX - so all I had to do was launch Linux from EvoX and run raincoat from there.  If you're not already running EvoX on the box you'll need to use the mechassult+linux+raincoat savegame thing that I know nothing about. :)

-Zak

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »

ive even heard of people doing it by taping foil to the points, but i certainly wouldnt recommend that method

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 01:57:00 PM »

QUOTE (lordvader129 @ Nov 6 2003, 08:27 PM)
ive even heard of people doing it by taping foil to the points, but i certainly wouldnt recommend that method

reminds me of the house parties when the amp blows..