xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Quake X  (Read 244 times)

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Quake X
« on: November 15, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »

Quake-X doesn't work from disc because it uses the DVD-ROM drive for its CD Audio support (whether you use it or not).

A while ago I compiled a build of v1.00 that ran from disc and had a few other tweaks but I ditched it when I found out that the v1.01 source was not available. If Kaioshin ever manages to get a full v1.01 sourcecode together then I'll pick the project up again but until then I'm afraid you're stuck with what you've got.

KaioShin

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »

Yeah... Sorry about that guys...

I emailed Lantus through xbox-scene's PM system (since I dont remember his email address and his site seemes to be down) but never got a response. I think I'll send him a normal PM here in a bit since he does still visit here regularly.

Something that had slowed me down is some repeated HDD corruptions... I was uninstalling a program (seems like it was about 2 weeks ago now) and suddenly my computer rebooted... loading up to say some spacific windows files were missing or corrupt. I took the hdd out of a 'broken' system which had a working windows install... booted that up did a few things to make it work with the hardware it was now installed in... then my comp rebooted again... this time killing a whole partition on one drive and corrupting one on that same drive and corrupting one on another drive as well.

Turned out that the cause of the problem was a bad motherboard because repeated attempts to fix everything failed... it wasnt until I moved everything to the 'broken' system and fixed its minor issue that I was able to get windows to install again... but with my backups gone (the partition that died) I had to refind all my software again to reinstall them and get my computer comfortable to use again rather than crippled with just windowsXP

The next week was spent attempting to recover all the data. Which I'm still missing the one partition since for some reason my in depth HDD recovery tools see it as NTFS but cant pull anything from it. And it is the partition I stored all my backups until I got them burnt. (which I haddnt done since I built the system)

Good news is that all this doesnt effect the QuakeX... The partition I had all my source on was untouched by all that crap. I had already sent the zips with several versions of the source off to my xbox for safe keeping as well.

All this pain makes me want to break down and get a raid card and setup a redundant array to keep my important and simi important files safe and sound.

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

lantus doesn't read his PMs. I learned this after repeated attempts to get various sourcecodes out of him in the past.

Glad to hear you're still trying to get it all sorted though. The effort you're going to is very much appreciated. happy.gif

forgreatjustice

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

i thought i would put this here instead of making a new topic

what do u  have to delete to reset everything in quake X
(the enemys and stuff like that)

thank u

Sirmatto

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(lantus @ Nov 17 2005, 07:26 PM)
i do read pm's but not very often

gymguy

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »

what about porting a different quake engine like Makaqu its been ported to the dreamcast and seems to have some nice effects http://www.dcemulati...pic.php?t=73662 the download also has the source in it tell me what u think guys

KaioShin

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »

I ended up leaving town before I got to PM lantus. Its good to read his comment here though. My problem with 'doing with it as I see fit' is that I'm not 100% sure what I have is the correct. Let alone that it will compile...

I may contact one or two of the people who have been asking most about the source to see if they are willing to check it out for me since my dev setup is gone. (need to get Visual Studio .Net again)

forgreatjustice:
Not really sure what your asking... Just start a new game in the menu and it will restart the game with all the enemies and stuff doing as they should again? (rather than beeing dead)

gymguy:
A new port isnt really required... What I'd recommend actually is starting from either the 1.01 source or the unmodified source lantus sent me (95% sure I have it) and porting in Fragger's changes to that source. Honestly all I did to the source lantus sent me was port over the changes Fragger had made to the RADQuake source and made a few additions and adjustments of my own. Fragger is very good at commenting his code so it shouldnt be tooo difficult.

KaioShin

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »

Just wanted to update...

I've sent the source off to someone to check to see if it can be compiled... But I've not heard anything back yet.

Since then I've gotten a copy of the QuakeX 1.01 source from someone I sent it to last year. I sent it to this guy because he is the admin of a still active Quake 1 server that I used to frequent. For some reason QuakeX was triggering his antibot check. (doesnt trigger it with winquake or glquake on my pc) He happened to be in the server playing when I logged in and kept getting kick/banned. Luckly he was interested in hearing more about the port and trying to figure out the cause of my problem. He said the logs seemed to say my client was blocking some packets. He asked for the source so I sent it to him so he could try to find the cause. But I never heard back from him.

During my efforts to find the source I emailed him as a long shot asking if he had a copy... and he did! So I know the source I got from him is as it was released and is compileable so I'm comfortable releaseing that.

But,
 I sent the person on the forum a copy of what I strongly beleve to be a QuakeX 1.00b source. Its the source I got from lantus to be able to make QuakeX 1.01. Basicly it is the 1.00 source with networking enabled. Few other changes were made and it is closer to the stock id source than 1.01 is. I think it would be better for murgeing in changes from other engines (MakaQu) than the 1.01 source.

But like I said I havent heard back from the person I sent the source to yet... so I'm not 100% positive that is the source. Just around 95%. When I do post the source I'd like to post the 1.00b and 1.01 sources at the same time so people can decide which source they want to work from.

Sirmatto

• Archived User
Quake X
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »

Very nice...can't wait