xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Did I Just Kill My Xbox?  (Read 152 times)

adholicus

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« on: October 10, 2003, 08:22:00 PM »

Me and my friend were trying to do the 007 tsop flash on his xbox. We got the 2 points on the top bridged and the two points below bridged. We then proceeded to turn on the xbox.  We tried to Halo to see if the xbox was working ok before we flash it and it froze every 2 minutes or so, sometimes in the dash.  I then took apart the xbox and cleaned the back bridging and it worked for a while so we thought it was ok and we then flashed the tsop using the 007 trick and it was successful.  We loaded up a dashboard on a cdrw and it froze;we tried other games (legit) and they also froze after a while.  We unsoldered the points and now it would freeze in the blob animation.  Any suggestions?
v1.0 xbox

ouiji

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 10:37:00 PM »

look for solder splashes, I would desolder each point or make sure so examine them all good.
you may have gotten a bad flash the 1st time too

If you cant fix it sell it to me!!

atmega128

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 03:08:00 PM »

I reflashed the bios and loaded the evox dashboard. No longer freezes untill I load a game. I can watch the game intro fine, but when i try to play the actual game it freezes.  I also unsolder both points, and cleaned around it? Is this a hardware issue?

JohnA

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 03:17:00 PM »

Did you reconnect the fan? I almost forgot to reconnect the fan, which could have resulted in overheating and a freeze up. Just something to check :D

This post has been edited by JohnA: Oct 11 2003, 10:17 PM

atmega128

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »

hehe, yeah i checked the fan, but is it possible it is overheating? and if so, how can i fix this problem?

This post has been edited by atmega128: Oct 11 2003, 11:14 PM

JohnA

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 04:20:00 PM »

Well if the fan is fine, maybe load up Evolution X and check yoru temps. Also you coudl have splashed solder somewhere else on the board without knowing, check over the entire board. Are you %100 sure the xbox was fine before the TSOP mod?

atmega128

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 04:49:00 PM »

the mvb tem is 111.200F, and the CPU temp is 131.450, is that normal? about the tsop mod, the system was freezing during the game (about 2-3 mins into the game), after we soldered the two points together, before we modified the tsop. but now, the game freezes before i can even play it. thanks for the replys

JohnA

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2003, 04:55:00 PM »

I'd place a bet on it being a solder splash or maybe even a bit of conductive material making floating abour your xbox. Can you post close up high detail pics of your sodler joints?

atmega128

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2003, 04:57:00 PM »

i'll try to have the pictures loaded when i get home, thank you for replies

This post has been edited by atmega128: Oct 11 2003, 11:58 PM

atmega128

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2003, 04:50:00 PM »

This one below is the two points located on the top of the motherboard.
user posted image
This one below is the two points located on the bottom of the board.
user posted image

Sorry if the pictures aren't sharp enough. Thanks for all the help.

atmega128

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2003, 08:13:00 PM »

After a couple of hours of trying things, i think i figured out that my xbox is over heating, cuasing the thing to freeze.  I found this out by leaving my case open, and blowing my personal fan at high speed into the xbox, near the cpu. I have now been playing Halo of about 1 hours straight with the aid of the fan. I would like to know if anyone knows if i could replace the xbox fan to a stronger one, of if anyone has any good ideas to fix this cooling problem. thank you in advance. i think with my fan on is allowing me to run about 10 degrees cooler  

This post has been edited by atmega128: Oct 12 2003, 03:17 AM

JohnA

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 04:07:00 AM »

If it is down to heat, what BIOS did you flash onto the TSOP? You can raise the fans speed in XBTool, raise it to about 50 to test with case on.

venturahighway

• Archived User
Did I Just Kill My Xbox?
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2003, 06:00:00 AM »

the fan is driven with 7V but might be rated for 12V.  I have heard of  people re-wiring it to 12.