xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Mameox128 - Working Romset Project  (Read 2651 times)

Opoth

• Archived User
Mameox128 - Working Romset Project
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »

I respect that you'd like to see some sort of update to Arcades that has everything thats potentially perfectly playable with the build of MAME being used, but you're pretty much acting like a nutcase at this point.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »

Hey Competes2Win,

Though I respect your opinions on this matter, allow me to take time to point out the flaws...

1. Life's not fair: Sometimes you just can't get what you want, you have to make the best of it... BP and all the other coders did something great with the code that is available... why can't you? Why do you need BP's source? Do it yourself and stop this nonsense, seriously. You say you're a smart man and that if given BP's code you can figure everything else out yourself... You say that what you have done, editing the code you have thus far is merely parlor tricks... if fully given BP's code, wouldn't your further endeavors merely be more "parlor tricks?" Figure it out yourself RX, like all the other coders before you.

I plan on doing something great with the existing code out there, just as  BP and all of the other coders have done.  It just so happens that I like 100% of what BP has done already and want that in my build as well.  There is no reason to reinvent the wheel, and it would take 3 years of my life probably to figure out and implement all of the things that he's done so far.  He refuses to do some things that I want to see in the build, and that's fine, but I want them added.  Certain things I plan on doing are not parlor tricks and have already taken a lot of time and trial and error to figure out.  I had to laugh on Mameworld when I was asking questions about something that I was doing and after I explained how far I had gotten they called me "advanced"..... I'm nowhere near advanced at this point, but I want to focus my energies and time on endevors that have not been accomplished already.  To do anything else is pointless and a complete waste of my time and my life outside of this.  

2. As far as the mame license, I'm not sure here, but I have definitely not heard of coder's making their active coding products a free-for-all if you will... Xport and those guys, as far as I can tell kept their code for themselves until they felt that they were done with the scene at which point they released their code... I believe that BP, being an active coder should have a certain intellectual property ownership over his years of hard work... he is obviously still active in the coding process.

As far as XPorts code, I have no clue about the license agreement of any of the sources he used for his emulators.  He did not code with MAME, so anything he did is completely irrelivent in this situation.  As for intellectual property ownership, there are no rights granted to any individual at any point once they begin to code with anything MAME.  Actually, as stated in the license, it's quite the opposite.  Anything that you code, meaning all of the MAMEox Launcher code in Arcades, on your own and use MAMEdev's code with automatically becomes open source as well.  It is specifically stated that if you do not release your complete source for your project when making a public release of something using a MAME build that you are in violation of the license agreement.  This is not Microsoft and there are no trade secrets.  If you're going to use a product that is open source and tons of other coders have provided free of charge to you, then you are honour bound to abide by their wishes and release your personal work based off of it in the way that they desire.

3. Just do your best with what you have RX... but all this is nonsense I believe... BP did all his work on top of a code that is freely available for your use... in my opinion he should have no obligation to give you all of his hard work so you can suddenly be modifying and editing his work. Let him do what he's been doing. He's still active. Let him be.

Sorry, I can't do that.  We are all entitled to his source for the reasons stated above.  MAME is open source and since its conception the idea was that any work done on it, across any platform, should be made available for others to alter as they wish.  I am not in the wrong here, and will never concede to anyone that I am.

Thank you for your opinions.

Respectfully,
~Rx

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

Well maybe I have no idea what im talking about but Ill guess with a mouth like that it will never happen.

Im currently working on a massive update with 2-3 others smile.gif no issues at all. Im working with them currently as im typing this.
Id say you are at expert level myself and I could careless what you think you are entitled to in this world some things just have to be earned.

competes2win

• Archived User
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »

Well I'm sure you feel that you're in the right... I'm not going to try to understand completely the mame license agreement, but if you say that it says what it says then whatever, but I still stand by my opinions that I feel that if someone is working hard on something at that moment, he should have no obligation to give it up...

Again I know you feel that you're in the right but this is my interpretation of what you are saying when you say that there is no reason to re-invent the wheel:

"I want -soandso-, and after years of all your hard work BP your emulator is 90% of what I want so why don't you just give that all to me so I can do the last 10% of what I want by myself since I'm so smart if you give me the entire source code, all 90% of what I want, I'll figure it out ALL by myself..."

What you're saying is selfish... ya who wants to put in the effort of learning something that is already done? but BP shouldn't have to give up all of his hard work just to any "noob" coder who comes along asking... Again you are going to quote the mame license... But again I'm just saying my opinion, whether its consistent with the license or not.

Sorry, I know that was kinda personal... but really i have nothing personal against you I just don't agree with this situation.

I'll try to make this the last I say on the subject.... but you're going to make it hard for me aren't you Rx?

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

He actually has alot more of the source than he knows smile.gif he just doesnt know it. I will how ever give up the source when im done and also the party tricks on how to mix in with the source to achieve stuff that isnt in the source. Im also out....... Good luck with your project, as I said we cant work together its that simple and if you dont unstand why id say take an mental sanity test you way be surprised

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »

I have no interest in working with you BP.  You've made it quite evident that you have no interest in helping me out at all and I find you to be as unbearable a person to speak to as you do me.

I know exactly what code I have.  I also know exactly which code I do not have, and that is the very code I have you quoted above as saying that you will never release, and later you said that it is released, but you are doing everything in your power to make sure that it never gets in my hands.

All I want is for you to respect the MAME license and release the code that you are obligated to release with your build.  You signed that dotted line the moment you began coding with MAME source.  If you do that, all is well and we will have no further need to speak to each other ever again.  If you don't, that's a serious reflection on you.

Regards,
~Rx

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2020, 11:09:00 PM »

Well put RX but no chance and I know you have no clue as well...so im not going to give you any

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2020, 11:17:00 PM »

This has nothing to do with me or whether or not I have a clue at this point.

This is about you, and the possibility of you further violating MAMEdev's license agreement.  That's fine if you want to be the guy who stole MAME code and used it for your own little party in 1emu.  But that's what it is that you're doing if you don't respect the license.  You stole.

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »

cool.gif party time

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2020, 11:31:00 PM »

It's obvious that you're threatened by a dumb n00b.  There can be no other explanation.  

Good luck with your build BPM$  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by ressurectionx: Yesterday, 07:34 AM

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2020, 11:53:00 PM »

Its actually cause I think your obnoxious

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #266 on: February 03, 2020, 12:03:00 AM »

Well then... that just comes back to you punishing everyone, and disrespecting the entire MAMEdev team, just to spite one person you don't much care for.... and that falls square under my previously mentioned theory that you are a man-child.

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »

Which is all good except other people im helping as we speak and not only handing stuff to them but actually doing alot of it for them smile.gif anyway ive got actually stuff to do so peace be with you

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #268 on: February 03, 2020, 12:22:00 AM »

Don't let me stop you.  You're the one who chooses to continue to come here to put your childishness on display for the scene to see.  Later BPM$.

P.S.  You aren't fooling anyone with that, it's all about Rx line either.  It's well known that you have never distributed your sourcecode with any of your public builds.  A trend that you seem to be on the path to continue with CoinOPS.  Leave me out of your breach of license, because I certainly have nothing to do with it as precident illustrates.

This post has been edited by ressurectionx: Yesterday, 08:33 AM

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »

I think I'm going to work on getting the XPort projects to compile on my rig tomorrow after work so I can get in sync with XT and madmab and offer my assistance for a little while.  Kinda biding my time to see what BPM$'s next move is.  His current work at 1emu looks pretty damn good.  Something must have him really motivated right now.   rolleyes.gif

I'm also considering looking into this project that Nyzo had started last year but never completed.  http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=617937&st=0.  It's porting the BBC Micro to the XBox.  Some people seemed to have a lot of interest in its completion and were let down when it never got finished.  I also had acquired Micro games in anticipation of the release that are just sitting on my computer doing nothing at this point.  I have mail out to him to discuss it with him now, but if I don't hear back I may see what I can do about getting something started myself.  I was thinking that if I got myself familiar with XPorts emus working with XT and madmab that I might learn enough to get the Micro ported in an XPort setup.  No promises at this point... just kinda rambling out loud.  

My original intention of getting MAME perfect on XBox is still in full effect and I have no plans of abandoning it.  Just going to polish my coding skills a bit with people who are a little more friendly and easy to get along with until I see what comes from the other front in the near future.

Regards,
~Rx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24