xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Flashing Tsop Freezes Xbox?  (Read 133 times)

sandman2869

• Archived User
Flashing Tsop Freezes Xbox?
« on: September 15, 2003, 06:10:00 AM »

Hello all,

First off, I know I have seen this issue here before, but for some reason, I cannot find it.

I have a 1.0 xbox and a homebrew modchip. I want to flash the tsop with the 4977 bios so that i don't have to trouble the girls at work for bios flashes all the time.
Anyway, what I have done is:
boot the xbox with the homebrew on, load evox, turn the modchip off and go to the flash bios section of evox. It says that I have an St chip and asks if i want to continue, so I say yes, then it tells me it is erasing the bios....Once that finishes, it tells me it is flashing the bios, but it freezes my xbox.

As previously stated, I have a 1.0 xbox with an ST type tsop. I have jumped both sets of points.
 Does anyone know what this means or what is causing my troubles?
Again, I apologize for asking this when I KNOW this has been asked before, but I have searched and cannot find it.

Please help.

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 08:56:00 AM »

just before it flashes see if you can remove the homebrew completely if it is in a socket mounting.....

myself and a few others had troble like this but in my case I didn't even get to the erase bios bit - it just said unknown chip error - not the usual 09 - can't identify chip or chip not write enabled

in the end i booted on homebrew then just before I went to the flash utilities, I turned off the power going from vcc to link 32 on mobo and pulled off chip - then said flash chip....

correctly identified it

erased it

flashed tsop and when I rebooted with the homebrew out and the link 32 in off position - it fired up on what was a shagged tsop but know reflashed back to a fine n dandy 1mb 4976.02 bios

best of luck

sandman2869

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 07:06:00 AM »

Pizza,

Thanks for the reply, I did as you suggested and still no go. I have repacked my bios (4977) into a 1meg file, and still no go.

Can anyone help me? I am wondering if maybe I am doing the bios wrong.

craigncheri

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 08:05:00 AM »

maybee try xflash instead of evox

sandman2869

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 10:37:00 AM »

Update:

Ok, I installed the newest evox today and tried it (using the default skin).....It appears that evox DOESN'T freeze, as the spinning logo is still spinning and I can see the clock progress normally through time, however there is no progress bar activity on the bios flash screen......

I tried the xflash, but since I have to have the original bios enabled before entering xflash (I believe it detects it upon load).....this won't work as it just went to a black screen.

Please help

sandman2869

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 11:27:00 AM »

I'm currently still stuck on this, does anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

sandman2869

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 07:37:00 AM »

Ok, I found something interesting lastnight.
I went to flash the tsop, and as usual, turned my homebrew off after loading evox. It found the "ST" chip and said to press the "Y" button to flash. So I did this, well when it went to the "now flashing bios!" phase, I turned my homebrew back on, thinking it wasn't going to work. After I turned it back on, the damn thing started working! While I know it didn't actually flash anything (my homebrew is write-protected), this does give me a bit more insight.

An interesting thing to note here: If I tried to flash any bios other then the 4977, it would not work, but if I used the 4977 bios, it would work after turning my homebrew back on (my homebrew is currently on 4977).  

My tsop is still not flashed, but I think I am making headway. Also, I read another post that someone doesn't normally solder the two jump points under the mobo, is this really an option?

sandman2869

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 05:06:00 AM »

Does noone have ANY ideas? Please folks, I'm beggin here.