xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Neogeo.zip & Fbaxxxpro  (Read 62 times)

neilOS

• Archived User
Neogeo.zip & Fbaxxxpro
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:23:00 AM »

I don't know if this has been covered before but, here goes....

It seems there is a very elusive, very particular set of neogeo bios files required for fbaxxxpro to run neogeo games.

Google & Yahoo return nothing but board posts, and every download reveals a completely different set of bios files (the original mame version) to the one fbaxxxpro uses. I can't understand this. Why rely on a romset so elusive that it renders a documented function of the emulator impossible to use until found. Surely it would be more productive to release the emulator with this "special" set of bios files included or (at least) offer said files at "the usual places" or on the homepage.

Views please?

This post has been edited by neilOS: Aug 9 2006, 12:24 PM

XaRaNn

• Archived User
Neogeo.zip & Fbaxxxpro
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 06:12:00 AM »

1. This is the same as asking for roms, and as such is begging for a ban.

2. FBA-XXX Pro is *NOT* meant for you. It's sole purpose is to run those "so elusive" very latest romsets. Please use the emulator more appropriate to your use, FBA-XXX.

neilOS

• Archived User
Neogeo.zip & Fbaxxxpro
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(XaRaNn @ Aug 9 2006, 12:43 PM) View Post

1. This is the same as asking for roms, and as such is begging for a ban.

Please point out where i have ASKED for anything, I asked for views about weither or not the bios roms should be packaged with fbaxxxpro, that is all. I haven't requested anything.

QUOTE(XaRaNn @ Aug 9 2006, 12:43 PM) View Post

2. FBA-XXX Pro is *NOT* meant for you. It's sole purpose is to run those "so elusive" very latest romsets. Please use the emulator more appropriate to your use, FBA-XXX.

From what I gather it's purpose is more for building a collection, then actually running the roms. But if this was the case, I just pointed out why it shouldn't use the standard set of neogeo bios files as used for other emulators. Using a custom rom set cripples this feature in a way as no neogeo game will run without them and thus the ability to play them would be a moot point.

Thraxen

• Archived User
Neogeo.zip & Fbaxxxpro
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(neilOS @ Aug 9 2006, 09:09 AM) *

Please point out where i have ASKED for anything, I asked for views about weither or not the bios roms should be packaged with fbaxxxpro, that is all. I haven't requested anything.
From what I gather it's purpose is more for building a collection, then actually running the roms. But if this was the case, I just pointed out why it shouldn't use the standard set of neogeo bios files as used for other emulators. Using a custom rom set cripples this feature in a way as no neogeo game will run without them and thus the ability to play them would be a moot point.

It's purpose is to have a version of FBAXXX that supports the most recent versions of the ROMS as well as support for additional clones (the collecting part).  But it's definitely mean to be played.  It's not crippled in any way and the BIOS files are not "customized" for Pro alone.  The BIOS files it uses are no more difficult to acquire than the ROMS it supports.  Anyway, if you can't get the files you need then maybe you should be using FBAXXX.  That's why Gogo's version is the best choice for many people.

This post has been edited by Thraxen: Aug 9 2006, 04:50 PM

pceptimus

• Archived User
Neogeo.zip & Fbaxxxpro
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 01:15:00 AM »

well i found all but 1 required file to play the neogeo roms sad.gif i have looked everywhere if anyone has better look than me could you possibly pm me the file please unsure.gif

EDIT: NM i got it blink.gif

[Mod Edit] Do not request ROMS of any kind on the forum again.  Consider this your only warning.

neilOS

• Archived User
Neogeo.zip & Fbaxxxpro
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »

Okay, so I found this particular set only to be stumped again when I tried to run it under the latest build. The most current neogeo bios set (direct from the emulator forums) reads like this,

vs-bios.rom
usa_2slt.bin
uni-bios.21
sm1.sm1
sfix.sfx
neodebug.bin
neo-po.bin
neo-epo.bin
asia-s3.rom000-lo.lo

Notice that "uni-bios.21" is highlighted. fbaxxxpro's latest build only supports the newest version, 2.2. This kinda explains my point about the trouble with this custom bios set. If you take a look over at the universe bios homepage you'll see plain as day that this file is not available to the public until the next release.

Due to people abusing the Universe Bios terms of use the latest version will not be available for download. The free version will be one release version behind.

After a bit of renaming and playing around with the CRC check I was able to get the emulator running but this is a kludge at best. This iterates my point about it crippling a particular feature. If you were to download the latest build, suddenly your roms would no longer work.

Maybe, as this is the only file that seems to change with time, it could be bundled with the emulator package, or at the very least, links should be available on the fbaxxx forums to update the set.

I don't get the point of relying on something that is yet to be public domain.

P.S, Just to clarify, the emulator is awesome, i'm not anti fbaxxx (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by neilOS: Aug 10 2006, 09:41 AM