xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Solderless Adapter For Xenium Ice  (Read 57 times)

tryintomod

• Archived User
Best Solderless Adapter For Xenium Ice
« on: August 24, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »

I have an xenium ice and the thing is awesome.  I have some troubles with the solderless adapter though.  It loses connection sometimes and causes me to get an error on startup.  I have a couple of questions.  I would like to solder it in but i cannot take out my mobo due to the 300 ft. of wire inside and the complexity of it.  Is the pinheader possilbe or oven recommended if you can't solder to the bottom of the mobo.  What is the best solderless adapter out there for the xenium ice.  One that doesn't lose connection.  Also I have a 1.1v xbox. Thanks

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 11:35:00 PM »

The best way to get solderless on an xbox is to pay someone else to solder it for you.  ALL solderless adapters come loose and have to be reseated.  Since you have a 1.1, I recommend getting an x2/3 wire adapter, rewire it to fit the xenium and solder it in.  Either that or desolder the lpc and use the pin header.  Or, you can pay someone to do it for you.

tryintomod

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:53:00 AM »

Ok thanks... Is there a way to use the pinheader solder method but not solder to the bottom of the mobo. Is this recommended.  Does any one do this or has anyone done it.  I would have about 10 hrs if I had to take my mobo out to solder to the bottom.  I'm looking for some input on a way to solder my chip in without soldering to the bottom of the mobo.  Thanks for the help.

Millenia1x

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 06:24:00 AM »

why not just buy the sp. ice

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 09:18:00 AM »

Yeah, I've had the Sp solderless adapter in for some time, and it is quite good.

But no, you have to solder the pinheader from the bottom.

This post has been edited by C o s m o: Aug 25 2005, 04:18 PM

jaydon34

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »

best way is just take a chance and learn to solder. Its really not that hard. Practice on some loose wires until you get the hang of it. Really the pin header install is the easiest thing in the world to do.  The D0 now thats a bitch.

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »

First of all, why don't you want to solder to the bottom of the mobo?  It takes all of 2 mintues to solder in the pin header, and if you use the bottom d0, its cake.

tryintomod

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

Well the problem is that I can't get to the bottom of my mobo.  I have soldered so many wires and things to the bottom of the mobo and everywhere else including switches and stuff they go over the mobo and make it impossilbe to remove it unless i cut the wires.  There is about 300 ft of wire in my xbox so just imagine that. A football field of wire. The box is quite amazing. I haven't  seen anything like it but it's not done yet therefore I won't post pics.  I have the finishing touches to put on it. That is why I can't solder to the botto of the mobo.  There would be atleast 10 hrs in cutting labeling wires and taping and untaping etc just to get the mobo out and back in so it's not worth it, not to mention the top is such a tight fit i don't want to take it off unless there is a really good reason.  Just to mention some of the things in there.  Jewel mod, hip pad screen, hip pad speakers, hip pad control knobs, all molded into the top lid. dvd window flush. about 70 leds, hardwired dvd dongle. headphone jack that cuts the sound from small speakers when used. All leds hooked up to xerc chip. Side vent leds dvd window leds, controller port leds, underglow, fan leds. Xenium ice. 250 gig maxtor diamond line plus hdd. activity light bar with hdd, lan/dvd, standby, xerc on off. There is a lot of stuff so it would be a problem to get to the bottom of the mobo.  Oh ya i forgot to mention the controller ports are all moved to the right and there is an aerogate 2 fan controller molded into the left side of the panel. Power/eject leds: blue/red.  There are lots of things so upgrading my modchip installation would be a bitch.  Also I do know how to solder too, i installed my modchip as the first mod for me and it was solderless for obvious reasons.  Thanks for the help and I hope you can see why I can't solder to the bottom of the mobo.  I have to finish my custom mounting system for the box due to everything getting moved around and screw holes getting cut and covered. Then I have to finish the dvd bezel extension also. After those two things are done it will be finished.

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »

Ok then here is your best option.  Get yourself an x2/3 wire harness to pin header adapter, line it up with the xenium quicksolder on the chip so you know what pins it needs and where, then rewire the adapter.  Just lift up on the plastic holding the pin in and pull (best way is to hold the end of the wire in your teeth and put tension on it as you lift on the plastic).  Now just slip it back in the correct spot.  Now you can just wire it into the lpc by heating the lpc point and slip the wire in and take away the heat.  Now either use the d0 loom or just solder a wire from the d0 to the pad on the chip and plug in the harness.  Now just use some double sided tape to stick it to the side of the xbox and your set.  I have done this before and I know it works so, gl.