xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sp.ice Or Just Solderless Ice  (Read 245 times)

bigjonny

• Archived User
Sp.ice Or Just Solderless Ice
« on: April 10, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

i have already talkked to one guy and i just wanted to check with everyone else about which chip to get.  the sp.ice or just the regular solderless ice.  ive heard they are the same but the sp.ice is a better fit.  can anyone else help me out a little. <

StewPidasso

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »

I"ve installed a ton of xecuters (& only recommended them for a long time).  Then came the 1.6's with their PITA rebuilds....not hard but just a pain.  A buddy of mine finally convinced me to get a Xenium, so I slapped in an SP Ice in about 2 minutes & haven't looked back.  I know they're more expensive, but VERY much worth it.  I don't know if those two are the same, but I bought an SP Ice & love it. <

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »

Chances are I'm that "one guy" you're referring to, but... Just in case you didn't see it in your other thread here is my opinion on the S.P.ICE vs the Standard Solderless kit on non-1.6 xboxen (like yours):

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...dpost&p=2498683 <

bigjonny

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 07:03:00 PM »

yeh u were that one guy and thanks.  so i should be fine with just the solderless.  but heres another question.  should i just go with soldering it and save some money if i can solder or my dad.  he says its no problem but i thought it was another way to mess up. <

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »

There is just as much risk using a solderless adapter as soldering it.  I find it very difficult to damage the board by soldering unless you do some really stupid things like hold the iron to the board for long periods of time.  Soldered is always better. <

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

Yeah, if you can solder/know someone that can solder, go with a soldered install. Especially on your 1.4. Just do a pinheader insteall; it's a cakewalk smile.gif

bigjonny

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »

im thinking i may just go with teh spice chip because it seems to be the better one but i just wanted to see if anyoen else had an opinion <

degauss

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »

After reading the information in this site, I'm a bit confused about one thing.  Everybody within the forum seems to be saying that the SP adaptor within the s.p.ice kit is not necessary for earlier versions of the xbox.  However when I read the wording on most of the sites selling the kits, they note that the sp portion of the kit is compatible with all versions of the xbox.  With that said, I understand that it will work fine without the sp portion, but what would happen if I were to install it anyway on an older xbox?  Why would I want to know? Just cuz :P Plus since I have a couple days before my kit arrives, I figure why not find out what I can in the mean time. <

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »

The spice adapter is more or less useless for <1.6 xboxs because there already is a much cheaper adapter for those.  Most resellers sell the old adapter for $4 or $5 vs $30 for the spice adapter.  The spice will work fine on any version, but if you don't have a 1.6 you can save a lot of money by getting the old one. <

degauss

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »

But the question is what would happen if I were to install the adaptor anyway? I understand that its pretty much useless but what I really want to know is if there be any adverse effects from doing this at all?  I ordered the entire kit before I found this forum, I had it shipped via ground so I have a few days to lament the extra 10 bucks I spent for the kit. <

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »

The white pcb (the curved part) is useless on anything besides a 1.6.  The clear guide won't fit and the holes wouldn't line up with the wires and you could possibly damage the chip and or the board by forcing the wires into holes they aren't designed for.  You only use the black part of the adapter on anything other than 1.6. <

degauss

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »

Now that answers the question, thanks! <

bigjonny

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »

so youre saying the part that has the 4 lights on it with wires hanging over is only for the 1.6s?  so is that a definete yesto just go with the solderless ice instead of the spice? <

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »

Yup. <

bigjonny

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

ok well i think i may still get it just because its 15 bucks more and my v1.1 is pretty old now and if it were to go out and i had to get a new box then i would have the right chip.  other wise i would have to pay like 30 for the peice so i think i may just go with that.  thanks for the help. <
Pages: [1] 2