xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Red Light On Xenium, Nothing On Box.  (Read 87 times)

Grokent

• Archived User
Red Light On Xenium, Nothing On Box.
« on: February 10, 2005, 06:49:00 AM »

I'm attempting to mod my cousins Halo green special edition xbox.  We had determined it to be a 1.4 however it had been refurbished.  The date code said 8th week of 2004.  I installed the Xenium Ice according to the directions and when we turned it on we got flashing red and green lights.  I read that this could mean we have a 1.5 and I just didn't make the connections to the 3.3 volt and ground.  Ok fair enough, I soldered those points and plugged it back in and now when we hit power, the LED on the Xenium outside display turns red for a second, and nothing.  Hit power, red LED then nothing.  Hit eject, red LED then nothing.

I guess I'm going to go back through tonight and resolder all of my connections unless someone has some insight as to what I am doing wrong.  Perhaps I don't know the version of my Xbox?  I have a phillips drive and all of my circuits look just like pictures of 1.4 installs.

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 06:52:00 AM »

Did you try the version guife in the noob forum?  All these symptoms lead me to believe the modchip isn't installed correctly (obviously).  Check for solder splash and good connections.

Grokent

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »

Is there a definitive guide for figuring out which Xbox version you have?  The way I see it is this:

I think my cousins box is a 1.4  The error code I got suggested that either my LPC connections were bad or that I have a 1.5 and didn't install the ground or 3.3 volt wires.  I went back and installed the two 1.5 connections and now am getting no response from the xbox.

If I had a 1.4 and installed the 1.5 connections, nothing bad would happen beause it would just be a redundant connection.  (I hope I am right on this).

I either:

a) made a bad solder joint on one of the two connections
 B) have a 1.6 board and failed to correctly identify it
 c) ??? have a bad chip

I was hoping someone here has run into this problem before or might have some insight as to what I may have done wrong.

xavean

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »

I was almost certain all Halo Edition Xbox's were 1.6.....certainly no older than 1.5. Its pretty easy to determine if its a 1.6 or not.

Grokent

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »

I was basing my assumption off of this article.

"http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=367089&seqNum=3

If you own the Halo Special Edition Xbox with a translucent green case (see Figure 3.9), your Xbox is a revision 1.2. If you want to verify the revision, you can check the production numbers. This Halo SE Xbox was manufactured only in China, during weeks 8 and 9 of 2003, on the manufacturing lines 2, 5, and 6! (How's that for detail?). In other words, if you have a Halo SE Xbox, the serial number should look like one of the following:

2NNNNNN 3WW05

5NNNNNN 3WW05

6NNNNNN 3WW05

And WW should be 08 or 09. I would like to advise you that it is possible for this version to be manufacturered again, in which case you might find a newer Halo SE Xbox"

Upon further reflection I realize that I was wrong from the get go and that I meant to say I think I have a 1.2 Xbox.  The problem is that I have the Phillips DVD drive meaning that I have refurbished parts.  Perhaps I do have the 1.2 and just the DVD drive was replaced?  My board actually resembles a 1.4 or a 1.5.  What is the easiest way to tell if in actuality I have a 1.6?

Oh man... I guess I will desolder my connections and attempt to wire for a 1.6 if all else fails.

-edit-  On a sidenote, the mobo has a Focus graphics chip.

This post has been edited by Grokent: Feb 10 2005, 06:51 PM