xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54

Author Topic: The Official Surreal64 Help Thread  (Read 7247 times)

Iriez

• Administrator
The Official Surreal64 Help Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 08:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (Joshua Wood @ Jan 7 2004, 10:23 PM)
Iriez, I've verified my super mario 64 using goodrom, and it appears in the surreal.ini, but still doesn't show...I might see about finding a different dump, but it should show right?

Does the .zip and the rom filename need to be something specific? I've tried renaming them to the goodrom name, no luck still, after rom refresh. My others show, and they're not all exact name matches to anything in particular.....

Which rom is it?

mario 64 shows up fine for me.

The file name does not matter as the emulator checks the CRC of the rom.

Would keeping larger roms unzipped, like Conkers, for example make the game run better? Or is the pagefile a seperate file temporarily created when the game loads?

When surreal loads, it unzips and saves the rom to a temporary drive on the xbox. The rom is then accessed, sector by sector depending on what information needs to be loaded. So to answer your question, no, it would not change anything.

Im still unsure of how to balance the two memory types out, although it appears that dyna mem should be added over paging mem.

Depending on the game. Some games require a finer balance. Examples are SSB and banjo tooie.

Think of the recompiler as a machine. It takes computer code, and instructs the emulator how to handle the code from the N64 environment. The more memory this machine has, the more code and instructions it can fit. You can relate this to the capacity of a machine gun. The more bullets it can fit, the more bullets it can fire without being reloaded. If the recompiler has a small memory, it constantly needs to be reloaded (with code)causing the emulator to run slower.

If im incorrect on the matter, im sure lantus will point out the finer details = )

GhostHavoc

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »

HELP!

Ok When I try to load Surreal it freezes on loading screen. I tried the above solution but still it won't load. I have a X2 lite with 4978.03 bios, 3921 evox dash and I followed the directions carefully and i set the ROM PATH in surreal ini. Any idea? Please help

This post has been edited by GhostHavoc: Jan 8 2004, 04:34 AM

mattyj25

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

Ok, updated to 4979 bios and the 3921 evox.  Still no go.  Surreal loads up just fine, its the roms that freeze at the title screen.  Seems like all of them do it.  Don't know what else to try.  Tried all kinds of roms, verified them and everything, still no go.

SCVNGR23

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »

sad.gif

I got evolution x 3935 dashboard with a PC-BIOXX modchip ... Xecuter something bios (dont know the version and i cant get it upgraded)

Caracarn

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 02:19:00 AM »

I finally figured out why Surreal64 would run, but wouldnt let me move the cursor or click on anything.

I was using the controller plugged into the 2nd port. So the menu popped up and I can see the games, but pressing any of the buttons didnt do anything. When I tried the controller in the first port everything worked fine.   rolleyes.gif  

This may have affected others as it gives the impression that Surreal64 has crashed, when it hasnt.

kaylapuppy

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »

I too was under the impression that it was not working, but I moved my USB controller to the first port and it worked fine.

Iriez

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 05:06:00 AM »

QUOTE (SCVNGR23 @ Jan 8 2004, 03:41 AM)
tried everything .. cant get it to load .. sad.gif

I got evolution x 3935 dashboard with a PC-BIOXX modchip ... Xecuter something bios (dont know the version and i cant get it upgraded)

You tried PBL aswell?
You can verify which bios you are using in Evox or with Bios checker.

Ok, updated to 4979 bios and the 3921 evox. Still no go. Surreal loads up just fine, its the roms that freeze at the title screen. Seems like all of them do it. Don't know what else to try. Tried all kinds of roms, verified them and everything, still no go.

Can you give a example of which roms you were trying spcifically? Full verified filenames. Also have you verified all of the surreal64 files are present on your xbox? Does the rom actually write to the drive? (the percentage thing)

GhostHavoc

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 05:26:00 AM »

Goodnews Iriez

I upgraded my bios from 4978.03 to 4980 and it fixed the problem. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.  

teyene

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »

I still cannot get certain roms to show up on the rom list:

Banjo-Kazooie (U) [!]
Banjo-Tooie (U) [!]
Super Mario 64 (U) [!]
Wave Race 64 (E) [!]
Wave Race 64 (U) (V1.0) [!]

I have run all of the above through GoodN64, and they all run on PJ64 (apart from Banjo-Tooie, obviously), so they are definitely the right roms. They still refuse to show up on the menu.  It's not a huge deal for me, as other versions of the same roms will show (Wave Race 64 (U) (V1.1), or Super Mario 64(E) [!], for example) - so I can still play what I want. It just seems a little strange to me.

fezzman

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »

I've got a bit of a very small problem.  I upped all of my roms at one time and am in the process of testing them one by one.  One of the roms displays a funky name...just jumbled letters and symbols.  I tried to run it to see which game it was but it just causes surreal to reset except that it doesn't show the rom names.  I have to hit refresh.

I tried to delete this problem rom but don't know which rom in the directory to delete.  I never transferred any rom with this type of messed up name.

Do you have any clues on how I can figure out which rom is causing this problem so I can delete it?  I'd hate to have to try going through the list one by one to find it.

Thanks

bcb07

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »

on a few games i have tried, banjo-tooie and zelda OOT, when i press in on the right thumbstick to bring up the surreal menu, the menu will not come up, instead it just slows the game down and will not go back to regular speed unless i restart the xbox.  Does anyone know what would cause this?  The roms are good too.

Iriez

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (teyene @ Jan 8 2004, 11:20 AM)
I still cannot get certain roms to show up on the rom list:

Banjo-Kazooie (U) [!]
Banjo-Tooie (U) [!]
Super Mario 64 (U) [!]
Wave Race 64 (E) [!]
Wave Race 64 (U) (V1.0) [!]

I have run all of the above through GoodN64, and they all run on PJ64 (apart from Banjo-Tooie, obviously), so they are definitely the right roms. They still refuse to show up on the menu.  It's not a huge deal for me, as other versions of the same roms will show (Wave Race 64 (U) (V1.1), or Super Mario 64(E) [!], for example) - so I can still play what I want. It just seems a little strange to me.

Im not sure about that one .. i have alot of those same roms and they display fine for me.

I suppose you'll have to use the counterpart version until we get it figured out.

bcb07: sounds like you are out of memory. Play with the paging/dyna settings.

fezzman: I cannot think of anyway to figure out which is the problem rom other than trial and error, sorry = /

GhostHavoc: Yes, 4978 (the one with the ftp) is known to cause some problems. I will add that to the list. Thanks for your input.

enixn

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (bcb07 @ Jan 8 2004, 06:39 PM)
on a few games i have tried, banjo-tooie and zelda OOT, when i press in on the right thumbstick to bring up the surreal menu, the menu will not come up, instead it just slows the game down and will not go back to regular speed unless i restart the xbox.  Does anyone know what would cause this?  The roms are good too.

a lot of times when im running zelda, there is usually less than 4 mb of free memory, so pressing the right thumbstick doesnt load up the menu, because thats how much the menu needs...but if you have like 2.5-3, it will load w/o the background screen.....i have found that if i run into a building or something it'll free up some ram for the right click menu    hope this helps    biggrin.gif
    also, if u have the debug screen on, and it ever gets near 1 or 0, (one time it froze on me) u will have to decrease ur dynarec/pagefile/video (dont do video) to free up enough if you really want the menu to work.....

FBRogers

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »

Just wondered how the save states worked, could someone give me a quick explanation.

I played through the 50CC cup on Mario Kart, and then when I cam back to load after saving states after every race it seems that I have never played it, is there an auto save state, as in when you save in the game it saves on the harddrive, by the way I am using 1964. uhh.gif

angell

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »

Save games refuse to work for me...i can save and load until i exit the emu..when i go back in and load a state it locks up (but i still hear sound being played).

Apologies if this has been covered but i cant find it.

Im using cheapmod chip, latest evo-x, standard 64 meg xbox. All normal roms work..no errors on turok etc like some people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54