xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Default.xbe  (Read 246 times)

worldwhore3

• Archived User
Default.xbe
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »

the initial boot file for all xbox software is default.xbe, but does this mean that all bootfiles are written under the MS official XDK?

what im getting at is this:
was the default.xbe which loads XDSL written in openXDK or MSXDK?  i've been doing a lot of linux programming work and am almost ready to test some theories on my box, but i'm going to need to know how to get things booting up.  

if it was written in the openXDK, can i setup openXDK in linux so i can develop in linux?  the sourceforge for openXDK is kinda confusing.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Default.xbe
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »

nkpatcher is written in x86 assembly with nasm. MS SDK is not used at all and hence the binary can be freely distributed under the rules of the scene. The source for UDDAE and most other things created by rmenhal or xman954 use nasm as well.

I modified the code from xman954's eeprom reader to create a default.xbe to try out the concept of a shortcut XBE once.

obcd

• Archived User
Default.xbe
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »

An older method to boot linux was using the xbeboot.xbe.
That xbe bootloader is fully created using the gnu tools in linux.
It does not use the xdk or open xdk.
I think the cromwell bios can be created the same way.

The initial boot file on a dvd the kernel searches for is default.xbe. The dash on the C partition that is loaded when there is no drive present has a different name.

regards.